Bresson Magnifier

carlos.paula

Advertisement (gone after registration)

Am using the Bresson magnifier for critical focus. Once the diopter is adjusted for my eyes it works wonderfully. So far I have not had any problem with the diopter adjustment moving while the magnifier is on the camera. Certainly, removing it will cause it to move and it needs readjustment when put back on.

I have found it most useful when working with very fast lenses wide open and when using my 135mm lens. In both cases the reduction in field of view is not a problem for me. I have not noticed any reduction in contrast and, as long as I keep it clean, it is easy to see through. Finally, I wear glasses and use the eyecup. I actually like it.

The biggest downside for me is that it disrupts the clean lines of the rangefinder. But when I am doing sports work with the 135 and 90 it is so handy that the size of the protrusion off the camera back really becomes a non-issue.

I also have a Leica 1.25 magnifier and at this point I cannot use it. I will need to find a diopter to match up with my eyes and those little puppies must be made of platinum or something based on how much Leica wants for them.

Overall I am quite happy with the Bresson Magnifier and it works perfectly for those circumstances where I use it. Of course YMMV but, if your eyes are aging, I think it is worth a try anyway.

EDIT - I should clarify that I have only owned and used this for about 3 months so I cannot testify at all to it robustness. It may last for a long time or it may fall apart quickly. In addition, though it does come with a one year warranty.

Edited by ThePioneer
  • Like 1

• 4 years later...

Excuse me, but how do you adjust both the dioptric correction and the magnification with a single ring?

I am keeping an eye on this, but I would like to understand something more before buying it

https://www.ebay.it/itm/BRESSON-Viewfinder-Magnifier-1-1-1-6x-for-Leica-M-Camera-ME-M9-M8-M7-M4-P-M8-2/291729712952?hash=item43ec722738:g:AOAAAOSw2GlXDd6c

Edited by antonio-p

• 7 months later...

I received the item in january 2021; it is a real disaster:
1) it does not provide magnification at all (it only restricts the viewfinder field from rectangular to approximalely oval); there is no magnification whatsoever of the rangefinder image in the middle of frame;
2) in addition to 1), it is impossible to regulate 1.1-1,6 magnification independently of dioptric adjustement;
3) the dioptric adjustement rings is the only moving part, but nothing changes...

4) practically no instructions are included: the text touches irrelevant points, while useful indications about how to operate the device are completely lacking; on top of it, the text is awfully written as for both syntax and language.