My 'T' Fails the commonsense test.

Advertisement (gone after registration)

EVF Delay ruins what could be a great camera! I have two M240's and a X-Vario, which I think is THE most underrated camera ever made, but one which is limited not so much by its lenses small maximum aperture, but much more because the X-Vario's fixed lens is just not quite wide or long enough at either end of its zoom range, hence my also recently adding a interchangeable lens Leica 'T' Body.

The 'T' should be the answer to the proverbial maidens prayer given it works brilliantly with my 'M' lenses, has wider and longer zoom lenses available to it (Albeit at a vast cost!), has the same superb Sony sensor as the X-Vario, and finally has a vastly superior detachable EVF option than have either the 'M' or the X-Vario.

Sounds wonderful you might think? However the 'T' then falls flat on its face for what I certainly see as a utterly stupid and inexcusable reason. I.E. The user cannot turn the 'image replay' off, or even reduce the time the last image you took stays showing up on the back screen (And EVF if fitted) for something like a eternal four seconds!

Who on earth countenanced that permanent arrangement wants shooting or at least sacking, for four seconds when trying to shoot anything moving is a literal eternity, indeed it might not sound long, but even for landscapes I promise you it seems like forever, and certainly in my opinion just ruins what could have been a truly wonderful camera.

Thus much as I would like to add the wide zoom and the telephoto zoom I see little point and hence maybe i will have to cut my losses and re-sell the otherwise so promising 'T' on the rather sad basis that like him above Leica gives us with one hand, but takes away with the other, or might it be best to pray for a firmware update to to correct something which should never have been so badly planned or designed in the first place? Don Morley:mad:

Edited by Don Morley
grammar

sorry ...... but I cannot understand this .....

using the EVF and with autoreview set to off or zoom , half depressing the shutter release immediately after taking a shot wipes the review and returns you to live-view within a fraction of a second and you can take another photo immediately .......

have you tried another SD card and used SD-Fornatter ?

this has solved these issues for many Leica users (on several camera types).

Posted on the old forum after the cut-off.

With Firmware 3.01, if you go to Auto Review, you can turn this feature Off.

Thank you, all advice is welcome, though I have tried this aproach and it did not work for me. However I will try again. Don :unsure:

Yes, try it Don. I too posted but the post got lost in the change-over. Mine is V1.310 and is able to be 1 second, or off. I use 1 second.

Gary

Hi Gary, Thanks for the advice but though I too can get mine down to one second I am blowed if I can find any way of turning it ogg altogether, and yes I do have the latest firmare? Don

Hi Gary, Thanks for the advice but though I too can get mine down to one second I am blowed if I can find any way of turning it ogg altogether, and yes I do have the latest firmare? Don

Hi Don, if you go to the "Auto Review", one of the options is Duration and in there you will find "Off", 1 sec, 3 secs, 5 secs, permanent and zoom. Firmware is 1.310. But, even with "off" selected the image still displays for some time or until you press the shutter button.

When you take a picture on the T, the image will freeze for just about a second or half a second. It is noticeable and it happens even if you set Autoreview to OFF. 

The only explanation I have is that we are not seeing an Autoreview, but indeed a slight delay in the image (freezes). It is hard to say because the Autoreview has a "1s" option and it seems that the T will always do a minimum of 1s even if you set it to OFF.

Yes, I have noticed this as well, seems a bit weird when you do see it, but I am getting used to it. It is what it is.

Mind you, a firmware update could possibly fix it, nit that I am griping about it, I'd rather have a Bulb setting for long exposure stuff.

Gary

I Don,

you had me going there, so went and checked.

Settings, Auto-Review.

Pic attached.

Gary

Hi Gary,

Thank you yet again, but something must be strange with my camera because I likewise can set it up as you say BUT then when I take a picture it does not work? By this I mean the image not only still comes on but stays on, and for longer than four seconds, and likewise if I press the shutter button again as if to take another shot it still keeps showing the previous exposure untill the 4-5 seconds is over? So it is though the latest firmware has put the new options on the screen but not in fact made them usable, at least on my camera? Best wishes and thanks again Don

This is very strange. Have you tried reinstalling the firmware?

I've just checked my camera, and the firmware is definitely version 1.301, not 1.310. See if you can download the same version and instal that. Apart from the normal electronic lag, I don't notice the image freezing, except when trying to take fast moving images - then the AF also struggles ...

Hi Gary,

Thank you yet again, but something must be strange with my camera because I likewise can set it up as you say BUT then when I take a picture it does not work? By this I mean the image not only still comes on but stays on, and for longer than four seconds, and likewise if I press the shutter button again as if to take another shot it still keeps showing the previous exposure untill the 4-5 seconds is over? So it is though the latest firmware has put the new options on the screen but not in fact made them usable, at least on my camera? Best wishes and thanks again Don

With my T and 23mm lens and latest firmware and with Auto Review set to 'OFF' and camera set to 1 point AF:

In JPEG mode there's no image review. After exposure there's an instantaneous 'black' monitor screen which stays on for 1 second and then reverts to 'live view' … unless I immediately half depress the shutter which reduces the black screen time to approx 1/2 second … and then reverts to regular 'live view' image.

In JPEG plus DNG mode there is a review image which stays on for approx 3 seconds - unless I half depress the shutter release - when immediately reverts to regular 'live view'.

And with 'Touch AF & release':

In JPEG mode after exposure there is instant 'live view' enabling another 'Touch AF release' exposure 

In JPEG plus DNG when camera set to 'Touch AF release, after the touch screen exposure, half depressing the shutter release results in instant 'live view' enabling another 'Touch AF release' … but lags a bit when several images are in the buffer. 

Above tests performed with a SanDisk Ultra 4GB 15Mb/s SD card and also using camera's Internal Memory … no discernible difference noticed when using Internal Memory. 

dunk

Edited by dkpeterborough