Cracked Monochrom Sensor

michali

Advertisement (gone after registration)

Really, because if you do not send it in you can become known for whining endlessly rather than 'risk' a repaired camera with no excuses.

That's your own conclusion or projection. Rather than quoting me selectively and making snide comments which contribute nothing, read my post in full....

How's the Sony A7r holding up?

Alan- I've been using the Sony for about 15 months now and have had no issues whatsoever. I use it exclusively with both my Leica R & M lenses, it's taken time but I've established a good workflow with this setup. The combination of the Leica lenses and the Sony sensor on the A7r delivers superb quality images.

For "rangefinder photography" I'll go back to using my film Leica MP until the Monochrom's repaired.

• Like 2

• 3 weeks later...

Update- I contacted Leica customer service in Germany, they firstly offered a trade-in on my M9 for an M240 & payment of an additional           €3, 300-. I have no interest in the M240, so I've opted to have the 3 cameras repaired. I had already arranged to have one of my M9s  repaired in January; after 2 months at Leica it has now come back and has been sold. 

Customer service very promptly and efficiently  arranged for UPS to collect the other M9 & the Monchrom from my home, which Leica undertook to repair on a "priority" basis. 

I must admit that Leica have handled this in the best and most efficient way possible. 

In the interim my son has loaned me his Fuji X100T http://www.pocket-lint.com/review/131959-fujifilm-x100t-review-naughty-but-niche with its fixed 35mm f2 lens, and insisted that I give it a try.  My wife has a Sony RX1, I've tried both and prefer the Fuji, it's less clinical and less "automated" than the Sony RX1. After a week with this little Fuji camera, I'm seriously impressed with its image quality and excellent low light/high ISO performance! Incredible image quality at 6400 ISO, which far surpasses the Leica's ping pong ball sized grain and Sony's mushy high ISO files.

Based on this, the rumoured interchangeable lens Fuji X-Pro2 which is due to be released later this year, may be another option for use with M lenses. Not sure if it will be full frame though....

Edited by michali

I really want a Monochrom, but threads like this really give me pause......what to do. What to do.

Despite the issues I've encountered, I would not hesitate to buy a Moncohrom again; if you want it go ahead and get it! 

If anything does go wrong, and as annoying as these issues may be, at least you have the assurance that Leica will stand by their product.....

Despite the issues I've encountered, I would not hesitate to buy a Moncohrom again; if you want it go ahead and get it! 

If anything does go wrong, and as annoying as these issues may be, at least you have the assurance that Leica will stand by their product.....

OK, well, I wanted it, and I got it...or, at least I bought it.  It'll arrive hopefully this week.  :)

• Like 1

Advertisement (gone after registration)

OK, well, I wanted it, and I got it...or, at least I bought it.  It'll arrive hopefully this week.   :)

I've not owned any digital camera for more than a year, so if I get a year or even two before the sensor fails, I'll be happy.  And, perhaps by then, Leica will have defined an upgrade path toward the M246, as they have for the M9/ME.

I had an M9 on loan from Leica, after a few weeks I noticed that the sensor had cracked. I was, to say the least, very concerned as it wasn't even my camera. My initial thought was of course that is was something I had done.   I was also abroad at the time I noticed it. Fortunately it was only across the corner of the sensor so it was still quite usable. I contacted Leica immediately on my return to the UK and they were very relaxed about it, in a sort of no problem, these things happen kind of way.  When I handed the camera back I was just told it would go back to solms and get a new sensor fitted. I must say although things go wrong with Leicas occasionally , like many cameras, I have always had very good treatment from them with regards to repairs and any manufacturing faults.  

UPDATE-  Today I received both cameras (M9 & MM) back from Leica, both repaired with new sensors and fully serviced. Leica received the cameras on 29 April and by today 7 May they were delivered back to my home by UPS; that's 10 days after I shipped the cameras to Germany. All very efficient and impressive!

Great service from Leica who have done their best to rectify the situation, I couldn't have asked for more!

Best,

• Like 1