Cracked Monochrom Sensor

michali

Advertisement (gone after registration)

I've done a search and can't find any results on this for the Monochrom..

While playing around with some filters and trying out some random shots this morning, I came across a crack in the sensor glass.

I normally don't get bent out of shape about these kind of things, it's only a camera, however following on the back of both my M9s displaying the Sensor Corrosion Issue,

needles to say I'm reasonably pissed off! That makes it about +$20, 000- spent just on 3 Leica camera bodies over the past few years, which are all rendered completely useless

for me for the foreseeable future....

I'm presently in Africa on a 3 month safari. For this trip I left both M9s at home as they were both useless due to the sensor issues, and I travelled with the Monochrom and Sony A7r.

Maybe time to move on from Leica digital camera bodies, 3 out of 3 is unacceptable....

Welcome, dear visitor! As registered member you'd see an image here…

Simply register for free here – We are always happy to welcome new members!

Best,

• Like 1

http://www.l-camera-forum.com/leica-forum/leica-m9-forum/133186-cracked-sensor-serial-numbers-only-6.html#post2493924

http://www.l-camera-forum.com/leica-forum/2590002-post4.html

If cracked due to defect, the good news is that Leica should replace it for free, although still a hassle.

Leica QC needs work. So far the M240 seems to be a more reliable platform than the M9. We'll see.

Jeff

Edited by Jeff S
  • Like 1

http://www.l-camera-forum.com/leica-forum/leica-m9-forum/133186-cracked-sensor-serial-numbers-only-6.html#post2493924

http://www.l-camera-forum.com/leica-forum/2590002-post4.html

If cracked due to defect, the good news is that Leica should replace it for free, although still a hassle.

Leica QC needs work. So far the M240 seems to be a more reliable platform than the M9. We'll see.

Jeff

How could Leica QC or any other manufacturer's QC identify this problem? Probably nothing to do with QC if the cause of the fault is not detectable at the assembly stage.

dunk

• Like 3

How could Leica QC or any other manufacturer's QC identify this problem? Probably nothing to do with QC if the cause of the fault is not detectable at the assembly stage.

My comment refers to numerous issues regarding the M9, well known on the forum…cracked sensors being only one and covered in many threads. I use the term QC to refer to all stages of sourcing, manufacture, assembly and distribution.

Jeff

• Like 2

It's issues like this that prevent me from relying on Leicas for everyday professional use. Sure, Canons and Nikons are prone to breakdowns too, but it's far easier to get a rental or replacement without having to wait months for repairs (my 35 Summicron took over 3 months). I love my M-P (trade-up for my corrosion-infected M9) but it's only used for personal photography.

• Like 2

In addition to the crack in the sensor glass the corrosion of the sensor is clearly visible.

Are the 2 issues related?

FWIW in the 2 1/2 years I've owned the Monochrom I've only cleaned the sensor using a Zeeion Blower: Zeeion blower for camera, sensor cleaning.

Welcome, dear visitor! As registered member you'd see an image here…

Simply register for free here – We are always happy to welcome new members!

• Like 4

Advertisement (gone after registration)

Whether they are related or not- I certainly think you will get a new sensor free of charge for your camera.

The sensor for the M9/M Monochrom was "thinned" down to accommodate requirements for a full-frame M-Mount camera. It is thinner than the one used in the M8. Pesky laws of physics involved. Leica certainly stands behind this design trade-off well after the warranty expired with free replacement sensors. Any other company would leave you in the cold.

• Like 1

The sensor for the M9/M Monochrom was "thinned" down to accommodate requirements for a full-frame M-Mount camera. It is thinner than the one used in the M8. Pesky laws of physics involved.

I don't think the reason for sensor cracks was ever clearly established or reported here. Some attributed it to sensor/filter bonding issues. AFAIK, the M9 sensor has the same pixel density as the M8 sensor, just larger, and the IR filter is thicker on the M9. But Mark Norton never disassembled the M9 like the M8 to show us. The MM of course lacks the color array.

Jeff

• Like 1

its a horror story. Went back to film since a while, looks better and Film

Leicas do work proper.

The money spent on 9, MM / derivates should be given back to the buyers.

But the sale of those Items still goes on :rolleyes:

• Like 1

I don't think the reason for sensor cracks was ever clearly established or reported here. Some attributed it to sensor/filter bonding issues. AFAIK, the M9 sensor has the same pixel density as the M8 sensor, just larger, and the IR filter is thicker on the M9. But Mark Norton never disassembled the M9 like the M8 to show us. The MM of course lacks the color array.

Jeff

Ever since the Data Sheet for the KAF-18500 was published, it's pretty clear that the sensor was thinned down compared with the KAF-10500. The dynamic range is 3dB lower, the saturation count is about 35% lower. less material to collect electrons.

• Like 2

...I'm presently in Africa on a 3 month safari. For this trip I left both M9s at home a...

Best,

Mike, since Leica has offered to replace your M9 sensors free of charge, I am surprised you didn't feed at least one of your M9 bodies into servicing before you left for your safari. That would have taken 3 months out of the lead time for you. Perhaps you have other reservations.

• Like 1

Mike, since Leica has offered to replace your M9 sensors free of charge, I am surprised you didn't feed at least one of your M9 bodies into servicing before you left for your safari. That would have taken 3 months out of the lead time for you. Perhaps you have other reservations.

David-

According to Leica's Stefan Daniel's post on this forum:

"We have now identified the problem and are currently concentrating our efforts on finding a permanent technical solution".

Initially my thinking was, what's the point of sending the cameras in for repair and run the risk of this re occurring. Perhaps naively, I've been waiting for the "permanent technical solution".

On second thought, I'm not sure Leica will bother with this, they'll try to sell as many M9 owners as they can up to the M240 and then only repair those owners' cameras who won't upgrade........:rolleyes:

In any event, I did leave my mint condition M9P Upgr. with my dealer in Nice on my way out to Africa, and asked him to send it to Leica for repair, and to then sell it once it's back.

Best,

Edited by michali
  • Like 1

[...] what's the point of sending the cameras in for repair and run the risk of this re occurring.

Really, because if you do not send it in you can become known for whining endlessly rather than 'risk' a repaired camera with no excuses.

Sorry thanks yes I did, but that deal is as far I know, an unfair one as well, imho.

But oc everyone is free to make presents to anyone :)

You're chasing your tail with the M9 sensor replacement. That means waiting a few months to get it back (sensors are on back order again), and getting another sensor with the same issues.

• Like 1