M-P 240 + EVF + frozen = Not Impressed

Jon Pop

• 2 weeks later...

I feel like the SD Formatter did help slow down the lockups but it did not stop them. The camera was sent off to Leica and because I had just purchased the camera they turned it around amazingly quick. The EVF circuit board? was replaced.  I tested it yesterday in multiple different situations with 35lux, 50apo, 21se and 90apo. I was feeling pretty confident because I had zero lockups 200 shots in and then I got one. This happened when I was taking several shots very quickly. It seemed to me as if the memory card couldn't handle the incoming shots.

I reset the camera and continued to shoot and got the camera to lockup again but only when shooting multiple shots very quickly again. Not one lockup in any other situation only when shooting fast and even then only 2 lockups in 300 shots. I was getting a lockup every 15 shots before the trip to Leica.

I have to be honest that the idea of changing memory cards before all of this seemed completely crazy but now? I am now using SanDisk Extreme Pro 32gb Class 10 UHS Speed 1 cards. I have ordered a few Lexar 32gb Professional 1000x UHS-II SDHC Class 10 UHS Speed Class 3 cards to see how they work.

If anyone has used these Lexar cards and have any feedback please let me know.

I feel like the SD Formatter did help slow down the lockups but it did not stop them. The camera was sent off to Leica and because I had just purchased the camera they turned it around amazingly quick. The EVF circuit board? was replaced.  I tested it yesterday in multiple different situations with 35lux, 50apo, 21se and 90apo. I was feeling pretty confident because I had zero lockups 200 shots in and then I got one. This happened when I was taking several shots very quickly. It seemed to me as if the memory card couldn't handle the incoming shots.

I reset the camera and continued to shoot and got the camera to lockup again but only when shooting multiple shots very quickly again. Not one lockup in any other situation only when shooting fast and even then only 2 lockups in 300 shots. I was getting a lockup every 15 shots before the trip to Leica.

I have to be honest that the idea of changing memory cards before all of this seemed completely crazy but now? I am now using SanDisk Extreme Pro 32gb Class 10 UHS Speed 1 cards. I have ordered a few Lexar 32gb Professional 1000x UHS-II SDHC Class 10 UHS Speed Class 3 cards to see how they work.

You should try the Sandisk Extreme Pro 64GB 95mb/s SD card since the 64 has one flash inside whereas the 32 has 2x16 flash inside making the 64GB a faster SD card according to many trials, ict's included.

• Like 1

No lockups with Lexar 16 GB pro Gold 600x

• Like 1

You should try the Sandisk Extreme Pro 64GB 95mb/s SD card since the 64 has one flash inside whereas the 32 has 2x16 flash inside making the 64GB a faster SD card according to many trials, ict's included.

+1

Edited by lct

Advertisement (gone after registration)

Last week I had my first lock up after owning the camera for 9 months. The optical viewfinder was locked on exposure compensation and would not show manual metering. I had been using Live View on Bulb mode for a series of longer exposures. No problems during this series, however the next day the camera locked on to EC. Also, the scroll wheel would not function other than to change the EC value. I turned camera off, removed battery, put in newly charged battery, changed SD card, everything I could think to do. Also, used the "Reset" button". Nothing worked. I contacted Leica Repair in New Jersey and they said send it in. I packed up the camera, took out battery, card, and boxed it up. When I came home from work the next day a little voice said to try one more time. So, with no expectations that anything would be different (I had been messing with this for two days already), I put the battery and card back in and turned it on. Unbelievably, it worked fine. What changed? I wonder if taking the battery out overnight made any difference. My speculation is the electronics overheated while using Live View on bulb mode for a series of shots, but who knows. I'm so glad I checked it one more time as I was dreading having to send it in. Also, potentially embarrassing to me for Leica Repair to get a camera that seems to be working perfectly. So far, no more problems but I am a little spooked and half expect the camera to quit working again at any time.

I had zero lockups 200 shots in and then I got one. This happened when I was taking several shots very quickly. It seemed to me as if the memory card couldn't handle the incoming shots.

That is not due to the SD card, but from Leica's firmware.

• Like 2

[....................] I put the battery and card back in and turned it on. Unbelievably, it worked fine. What changed? I wonder if taking the battery out overnight made any difference

In the "middle age" of the smatphones era, it was rather current to extract the battery for at least a day and a night in order to resuscitate a dead phone with success ;-). Nowaday, the phones are less subject to this type of bug.. we can expect the same related to our loved M^s.

• Like 1

In the "middle age" of the smatphones era, it was rather current to extract the battery for at least a day and a night in order to resuscitate a dead phone with success ;-). Nowaday, the phones are less subject to this type of bug.. we can expect the same related to our loved M^s.

Sometimes I feel that Leica's software is in the middle ages.

• Like 1

Unfortunately, the camera did not spontaneously heal itself like I was hoping. It worked for 3 days before the problem resurfaced where the camera would default to showing only "0.0" in the optical finder. No amount of battery pulling would get it to reset. I turned it on and off several times and the meter arrow would show for about 1 sec and then revert back to "0.0". Has anyone heard of this sort of thing happening? I sent it off to New Jersey for diagnosis and hopefully, a good fix. This is my first Leica bought new and owned for only 9 months. Very disappointed.

Leica are probably not to blame for a one-off problem. Although I sympathise with your difficulties I would suggest that you use the RF and ditch the EVF.

I have an Olympus EVF and I don't care what indicators it shows. I focus, take a picture, develop it in LR and I have a perfect shot ... or a load of rubbish and delete it.

Life is too short sometimes to get too agitated. Perhaps you need to smile and make photographic art by whatever means.

So the other night I thought I'd try the EVF on my M-P 240. Problem was, it caused the camera to lock up. To avoid the usual finger-wagging, let me explain what I did:

- Lens is a 50mm Summilux Asph, fully coded, no issues with the coding marks (I was shooting low light street and thought I'd try the EVF with focus peaking...)

- I mounted the EVF will the power was OFF.

- switched it on after powering the camera up, seemed to work great

- took two pictures, and hung up completely. You know, the one with the steady red LED, that only resolves when you pop out the battery...the thing that some people have all the time but I've been lucky...so far.

Not impressed.

My firmware isn't the latest version, the the almost latest version (I don't have Summarit 2.4 lenses and was told this was the only change). So, what am I doing wrong? I'm sure people may reply with the usual "it's a computer, sometimes they get stuck" responses; it just seems a little off that in lots of shooting, the EVF is the only time it's done this.

On an M240, I have the same problem intermittently when using bracketing with the EVF (see separate thread).  Sometimes not once during the day and sometimes over and over (always at a something important like a sports shoot, grrr).

Edited by michaelbrenner

Life is too short sometimes to get too agitated. Perhaps you need to smile and make photographic art by whatever means.

The agitation/frustration occurs when the camera lockups or misfunctions while one is trying to make photographic art. At times I have traveled thousands of miles for a 2-3 minute sunrise and it locks up just then. I just want the camera to get out of the way and let me be creative.

The agitation/frustration occurs when the camera lockups or misfunctions while one is trying to make photographic art. At times I have traveled thousands of miles for a 2-3 minute sunrise and it locks up just then. I just want the camera to get out of the way and let me be creative.

Do you have the same lock up problems with the M-P as with your M240? Just curious.

Have you tried changing SD cards and using SD Card Formatter? That fixed the issue for me, it may for you with luck. I think the M240 may be sensitive to slightly out of spec SD cards.

Do you have the same lock up problems with the M-P as with your M240? Just curious.

No, much better and on a trip soon scheduled I have SD Formatted all old (as in previously used) Sandisk 64GB 95/ cards and have many new ones so we will see if that helps. Thanks Mornnb.

I have now found that at each lockup an "old" image was present from as much as a year earlier and because of this I have SD Formatted all old cards. As some may recall I sent 2 bodies into Leica NJ and they replaced the shutter in both.

My M246 is still a virgin and will not be on this trip so over time we will see how it works out. I am tempted to try some old Sandisk 23GB 30/ cards as Lenshacker has suggested in other threads.

Edited by algrove
  • Like 1

Doesn't it seem like a lot of shutters are getting replaced in these relatively new cameras? I'm waiting to see what Leica USA does to fix the lock-up exposure compensation issue on mine. I wonder if they've done something to upgrade the shutter or if it's the same.

I thought I share my experience here.

The lockups are indeed still a problem. Both in M-P and M 240. I am able to provoke them, when I use exposure bracketing (multiple shots with live view on) or using EVF + continous shooting mode (as I sometimes have to when doing weddings, RF not always precise enough). It can also happen when using RF and continous shooting mode. Sadly the body freezes happen totally randomly and it has ruined plenty of wedding moments for me. Very annoying. I have used 3 different SD cards: Sandisk Extreme Pro, Transcend SD plus another brand which name I can't recall right now.

So judging by this forum it seems Lexar cards are what I will try next. Probably waste of money, but only one way to find out.

I thought I share my experience here.

The lockups are indeed still a problem. Both in M-P and M 240. I am able to provoke them, when I use exposure bracketing (multiple shots with live view on) or using EVF + continous shooting mode (as I sometimes have to when doing weddings, RF not always precise enough). It can also happen when using RF and continous shooting mode. Sadly the body freezes happen totally randomly and it has ruined plenty of wedding moments for me. Very annoying. I have used 3 different SD cards: Sandisk Extreme Pro, Transcend SD plus another brand which name I can't recall right now.

So judging by this forum it seems Lexar cards are what I will try next. Probably waste of money, but only one way to find out.

You are better spending your money on some Aquavit rather than getting more cards. Have you SD formatted your other cards? Based on ict's excellent analysis, whete it appears about the best card is the Sandosk Extreme Pro 64 95mb/s. They have a new 280mb/s card, but that is a waste on a Leica.  Keep in mind 64GB cards have one flash whereas 32GB cards have 2x16 flash inside. Tell me how the Aquavit tasted as I have not had it in many years.