M-P 240 + EVF + frozen = Not Impressed

Jon Pop

But a very high proportion of users like to do things their way rather than follow a manual!

Gibbo, absolutely; to a degree that includes myself also - and I still grumble when things go wrong in consequence!

• Like 1

But a very high proportion of users like to do things their way rather than follow a manual!

I've never even touched the manual.... everything in this camera has been quite self explanatory. Which is a mark of good design.

Just an observation which may be of some relevance to some cases of lock-up described earlier in this thread: the instructions for the EVF-2 state clearly that the camera should be switched off before attaching or removing the viewfinder.

I should have also noted in my first and subsequent postings that I've only ever attached (or removed) the EVF with the camera turned off, the very few times I've used it. And at the time, I wasn't asking the camera to do a lot; it was only my second or third shot (camera was also not in continuous mode), I wasn't checking the screen, adjusting anything, etc. I thought I'd give it a go because I was on the streets of Tokyo doing available light with a Summilux 50. Hope that clarifies.

I should have also noted in my first and subsequent postings that I've only ever attached (or removed) the EVF with the camera turned off, the very few times I've used it. And at the time, I wasn't asking the camera to do a lot; it was only my second or third shot (camera was also not in continuous mode), I wasn't checking the screen, adjusting anything, etc. I thought I'd give it a go because I was on the streets of Tokyo doing available light with a Summilux 50. Hope that clarifies.

Jon, many thanks for the clarification. I was really alluding to David's post number 8 above, when he had the camera switched on.

Maybe the M-P cannot always do many things all at once correctly, but when it does I love it. However, when it doesn't I hate using it as I have often found myself traveling via air and car for over 12 hours oneway to get to a specific sunrise location where I have 1-3 minutes and often less to get it right.

I shoot with the sandisk 95/ 64GB card. I use the MF grip as I want GPS data. I use the EVF for correct framing or focusing. I put EVF on before powering up and always use a freshly charged battery. I do not auto bracket, but often do manual bracketing. Sunrise temps are fresh. but not cold. I always use a tripod in these instances.

So a solid red light lockup can nearly ruin a morning where I have risen at 4am to get to my location in the dark sometimes hiking into hostile environments. Then removing MF grip from tripod and then from body, pop out and in battery, requires total change out of camera from set position only due to a camera flaw. The whole process can take a soild minute which to non-landscapers sounds like nothing, but when the optimal sunrise shot to me is 1-2 minutes I often waste the trip, my time and come back with little or nothing as I missed that precious moment I was looking for. The next morning can have no clouds or other changes to the scene which even makes me more ticked off with my M-P.

I have now purchased a Pentax 645Z for landscape shooting w/GPS and have no lockups using it the same way as I use the M-P except for mirror lockup (for those that do not know-this is a good lockup) which works well in conjunction with the waterproof remote--1st click lockups up mirror and with soinds on wait for 5 beeps at one second intervals and 2nd click takes shot where the Z shutter is quieter than the M-P. I do not like that I have now gone from a nice small sized system to a huge system, but if I want solid results I must have a solid camera system. The benefits of sealed body and the new sealed lenses are a plus which lets me stay out in the rain, near misty waterfalls and the like while the 51MP MF system as a whole is cutting edge, at least for a few more months. As far as size/weight of this system I can still get body and 4 lenses (one being the large 28-45mm and another being the 25mm) in the same small Airport Essentials Think Tank Backpack that I used for my M gear. Lens conversion to 35 equivalent is around 80%, which means the 25 is around 19mm 35 equivalent.

So now my great Leica kit is to be mainly for street use. Yes, it lockups even with street use from time to time, but that's my M-P.

Edited by algrove
  • Like 1

Advertisement (gone after registration)

Not sure if this would work:

Before the sun starts, take a shot with the GPS attached to get the location.

Remove the handgrip, attach the tripod and fix the baseplate sensor to be on without baseplate.

If lockup occurs, the battery can be removed while mounted on the tripod - time lost about two seconds.

In PP copy the location data to the sunrise pics.

• Like 1

I've had a handful of lockups that require a hard reset. My biggest problem using the EVF is having taken a shot, the image played back in the EVF is a solid black screen. The photo captures but I have to take another photo quickly after to get a view of what I've just taken. This has happened so many times now I've lost count. Anyone else get the black screen of death?

That is not a surprise. The surprise always was that you bought into a rangefinder system that does not suit you.

Jaap, that is not a very constructive post. Some may even see it as inflammatory. The 'because it does not work for you - you bought the wrong camera' post is just mean and not in the sprit of a constructive forum.

In fact this is the type of post Moderators should be removing, not posting themselves.

John

• Like 2

Jaap, that is not a very constructive post. Some may even see it as inflammatory. The 'because it does not work for you - you bought the wrong camera' post is just mean and not in the sprit of a constructive forum.

In fact this is the type of post Moderators should be removing, not posting themselves.

John

This particular user keeps on commenting on features of the camera he was perfectly aware of before he bought the camera. He could have avoided buying the camera if it really was as frightfully poorly designed as he has us believe.

We don't mind people commenting on faults of their products. Repeatedly stressing problems that could have been avoided is not quite the same.

• Like 1

John

You may not be aware that Erick uses the camera as an EVIL exclusively. I was merely expressing surprise that someone would buy a rangefinder camera for the purpose.

You may not be aware that Erick uses the camera as an EVIL exclusively. I was merely expressing surprise that someone would buy a rangefinder camera for the purpose.

Hi Jaap, it is still a mean comment. If Erick uses his camers as an EVIL camera that is his decision. It is not up to us to criticises his decision.

Edited by jto555

This particular user keeps on commenting on features of the camera he was perfectly aware of before he bought the camera. He could have avoided buying the camera if it really was as frightfully poorly designed as he has us believe.

We don't mind people commenting on faults of their products. Repeatedly stressing problems that could have been avoided is not quite the same.

If somebody breaks forum rules, moderate the post and send a PM. If they keep breaking forum rules, ban them. And yes the camera does have issues that should have been addressed by now.

However I prefer to treat the camera with the addage "Great weather never make a great sailor". :D

Getting back to the OP. I have two bodies with the 2013 body locking up on an infrencent baises, and that is without using the EVF. However, the 2015 body has had only one minor lockup. So I am wondering, did Leica do a small change to the camera build during its lifetime? They did a release of a firmware update which was for later body and was not needed in the earlier bodies.

Edited by jto555

And Leica did a M 240 with EVF just for me you think ?

The next M will go even more in EVF direction and I am very happy with that ... and not alone

I said it many time , I bought a M system not a M camera : small , fast and very good lenses + 24x36 sensor + EVF

but it seems that you don't understand

• Like 1

I have never said that in that way

like many users I regret that Leica doesn't provide a better EVF and the bugs are not normal for a camera at that price

Edited by erick
  • Like 1

anyone looking at the M would realise that the EVF was basically an afterthought somewhat late in the development of the camera ....... hence the use of a moderately crappy old EVF pinched from another camera manufacturer and shoved in a hole in the back of the body :rolleyes:

I'm not that surprised it is the source of trouble .......

In contrast the EVF on the T is clearly part of the original integral design and is quite an elegant solution (if anything shoved on the top of a camera can ever be elegant .....) and works very well.

As I have said before ...... Leica will learn from its mistakes .... not spend endless rather limited resources trying to correct them. It is cheaper in the long run to just keep replacing algroves dodgy cameras than solve an erratic and infrequent issue .....

What is clear is that not all cameras are born equal ..... there is variability from camera to camera in this issue as well as card read/write speeds etc ......

If Leica's electronic and firmware quality/tolerances approached that of the effort they put into their optical products then I think they would have much less trouble ...... :o

Edited by thighslapper

Read this thread with interest as I was having similar issues with an M-P 240 and using a new Summilux 35mm (with Leica branded EVF), except a couple of variations.

1. The lock-up was the red light flashing continuously, slow write maybe? Nope, I left it flashing for over 3 minutes.

2. It only ever happened after shooting in continuous, also sounds like slow write??

I had a Sandisk Extreme Pro in the camera so figured this wasn't the problem, but actually it was. After putting up with this for a few months I finally formatted the card (and other cards) using the SD formatter as recommended by Thorsten Overgaard on his site and like magic the problem disappeared.

My conclusion to this was badly formatted SD cards and the flashing red light for 2 minutes wasn't really a lock up but rather a very, very slow write. Perhaps if I left it for 5 minutes it would have come right.

OK, so I formatted the card again on a PC, just right click and format, and the problem returned. I left the camera flashing the red light for nearly 6 minutes, then it stopped and I could take pictures again! Formatted the card with the SD formatter and all is now working fine again.

This may not be the same problem as others have described but certainly I can say how you format the SD cards does make a difference.

This is something Leica should look at as using standard PC or Mac formatting on a card shouldn't be an issue and having to use a specific SD formatting utility is.

Unfortunately at the time of developing/introducing the M240, the Epson EVF was the best one on the market. A bit unfair to compare it to four year newer technology I would say. Should Leica use it on the next model (which certainly not), then you would have a point.

anyone looking at the M would realise that the EVF was basically an afterthought somewhat late in the development of the camera ....... hence the use of a moderately crappy old EVF pinched from another camera manufacturer and shoved in a hole in the back of the body :rolleyes:

I'm not that surprised it is the source of trouble .......

In contrast the EVF on the T is clearly part of the original integral design and is quite an elegant solution (if anything shoved on the top of a camera can ever be elegant .....) and works very well.

As I have said before ...... Leica will learn from its mistakes .... not spend endless rather limited resources trying to correct them. It is cheaper in the long run to just keep replacing algroves dodgy cameras than solve an erratic and infrequent issue .....

What is clear is that not all cameras are born equal ..... there is variability from camera to camera in this issue as well as card read/write speeds etc ......

If Leica's electronic and firmware quality/tolerances approached that of the effort they put into their optical products then I think they would have much less trouble ...... :o

Leica did an EVF as an auxiliary viewfinder to accommodate R lenses. Used like that it works excellently in my hands....

And Leica did a M 240 with EVF just for me you think ?

The next M will go even more in EVF direction and I am very happy with that ... and not alone

I said it many time , I bought a M system not a M camera : small , fast and very good lenses + 24x36 sensor + EVF

but it seems that you don't understand

Leica did an EVF as an auxiliary viewfinder to accommodate R lenses. Used like that it works excellently in my hands....
not at all ! it was not the main reason, and you will see in the next M, Leica knows that rangefinder has no future for a company

and Sony Alpha will be soon a complete system with Zeiss AF lenses

Edited by erick