50mm summilux ASPH Black Chrome - have you tried it?

Dikaiosune01

Advertisement (gone after registration)

I have been using the BC now and then

And really love it,

Just curiousitu, since the filter thread is smaller compared to the original lux, does it really effect anything?

I believe the elements are not the same too

Any ideas?

I have used both and as far as my eyes see, not a change

Instagram @jakontil

• Like 1

• 6 months later...

Not a fan of focusing via tab, [...]

That tells us you have typical finger sensitivity and dexterity. Including a focus tab would not hinder your use. I expect an advanced and concerned lens designer to  consider its constituency which must, statistically, include a significant segment that is not as dexterous. Then looking back to the earlier times, even new, younger purchasers (like me decades ago) appreciated a tab.

Bring back the tab!

Perhaps this belongs in a new thread.

Edited by pico

Got mine yesterday. It is all good except that when photographing night scenes wide open at f1.4 the bokeh balls of distant lights look like onion slices. I have not done any research on that, but is that inherent in the optic design of the lens and hence also found with the normal Summilux 50 asph.? Any hints appreciated. 

Got mine yesterday. It is all good except that when photographing night scenes wide open at f1.4 the bokeh balls of distant lights look like onion slices. I have not done any research on that, but is that inherent in the optic design of the lens and hence also found with the normal Summilux 50 asph.? Any hints appreciated. 

Here's an article I wrote for the LHSA Viewfinder journal, entitled "The Bokeh Kings". It shows the Bokeh for most of the typical 50mm lenses used on a Leica M, including the 50/1.4 ASPH

https://www.reddotforum.com/content/2014/10/bokeh-kings/

• Like 3
  • Thanks 1

The 50/1.4 ASPH Summilux first appeared as a limited edittion lens included with the LHSA MP3 special edition camera. As part of my concept for the speical edition, my design brief for Leica was to do the lens as similar as possible to the original 50/1.4 Summilux. At the time of the MP3, the original 50 Summilux ASPH was still in short supply, and Leica at first resisted doing the retro version. They eventually relented and the lens itself was very successful having been used on several other special editions, culminating with the current Black Chrome version.

Here is an article we just published in coonjunction with the introduction of the LHSA 50/2 APO Special Edition lens. Some history of the other special editions is included with the article.

https://lhsa.org/2018/02/lhsa-special-editions/#myaccount

• Like 2

Here's an article I wrote for the LHSA Viewfinder journal, entitled "The Bokeh Kings". It shows the Bokeh for most of the typical 50mm lenses used on a Leica M, including the 50/1.4 ASPH

https://www.reddotforum.com/content/2014/10/bokeh-kings/

Thanks for sharing. I also found it in the image produced with the Noctilux at f0.95 in the article. If the background lights were more distant and the bokeh ball rendered even larger, the the pattern within the bokeh balls would become very visible. It does not appear in the pre-asph version of the Summilux bokeh balls. So it is probably caused by the addition of asph elements in the optical design of the lenses (including the Noctilux 0.95 which has two asph elements), I guess. And it seems that when stopped down just a little, the onion slice pattern disappears. 

Edited by roger_1987