50mm summilux ASPH Black Chrome - have you tried it?

Dikaiosune01

How does it compare to the normal version?

- Is the focus throw as short? I prefer a longer focus throw.

- Do you think this is going to be a regular release? It seems to be included in a lot of different sets out there.

Looking at the two images (standard current version and the black chrome version) here Summilux-M 50mm f/1.4 ASPH. // M-Lenses // Leica M // Photography - Leica Camera AG, the distance markings appear to be identical, so expect the focus throw to be the same (i.e., not longer).

As far as I know it is not a regular release as only 500 of them will be made (this number is confirmed through a Leica dealer).

I suspect that Leica might release several series of the 50mm Summilux ASPH black chrome lenses 11688 the same way that the 50mm Summilux (pre-ASPH) black chrome lens was released as the Millennium version, a kit version, and the 11623 that I have.

I was thinking quite hard about getting the 50mm Summilux ASPH black chrome lens 11688 to complement my 50mm Summilux (pre-ASPH) black chrome lens 11623 but I already have the 50mm Summilux ASPH 11891 and several other 50mm lenses.

However, I do not have a 35mm Summicron lens so I might be able to feed my GAS and get the 35mm Summicron black chrome 11689....

Mark

I suspect that Leica might release several series of the 50mm Summilux ASPH black chrome lenses 11688 the same way that the 50mm Summilux (pre-ASPH) black chrome lens was released as the Millennium version, a kit version, and the 11623 that I have.

I was thinking quite hard about getting the 50mm Summilux ASPH black chrome lens 11688 to complement my 50mm Summilux (pre-ASPH) black chrome lens 11623 but I already have the 50mm Summilux ASPH 11891 and several other 50mm lenses.

However, I do not have a 35mm Summicron lens so I might be able to feed my GAS and get the 35mm Summicron black chrome 11689....

Mark

Mark, the pre-ASPH 11623 that you have is black paint and not black chrome. I am not aware of any other Leica modern black chrome lenses (I believe somebody mentioned of a non-regular production 50mm black chrome lens back in the 50's or so, but nothing since then).

Savvas

Mark, the pre-ASPH 11623 that you have is black paint and not black chrome. I am not aware of any other Leica modern black chrome lenses (I believe somebody mentioned of a non-regular production 50mm black chrome lens back in the 50's or so, but nothing since then).

Savvas

You are correct about the distinction of the black chrome lens as opposed to the black paint lens.

I meant that I believed, in concept, that there probably would be more releases of this "limited" release black chrome lens just as the limited release black paint lens was released several times.

However, if the black chrome lens were truly to be a limited release lens of 500, then it would indeed be very rare and the 10-20 % price premium over the standard anodized black lens would be quite reasonable and thus quite desirable....

Mark

Advertisement (gone after registration)

Surely only the finish is different. They would hardly redesign the lens for a limited edition, or would they?

Certainly no optical differences that I am aware of.

It's a pity that these interesting new editions are already catching the attention of the collectors who are considering the lenses in terms of rarity and price premium. I'm a fan of the brass bodied lenses from a functional perspective and black chrome is an attractive alternative to the more gaudy silver chrome and brass paint versions and it would be nice if these lenses became a regular option.

• Like 2

I don't think there is a price premium for the black chrome lenses. Yes it's more expensive than the regular black but it's brass and the silver brass ones are always more expensive yet the black chrome is slightly cheaper then the silver while still being made of brass and having a metal hood and cap. So if you want a brass 50 this is actually the cheapest and best value.

• 3 weeks later...

Will someone please enlighten me as to the purpose if other than aesthetic? I had a silver chrome 50 Lux that I sold because it was just too heavy. Granted, I liked the way the silver looked when I bought it. Given that the black is already available in a lightweight version I am puzzled.

• Like 1

Will someone please enlighten me as to the purpose if other than aesthetic?

Sure: collectors like to put these special editions in their display cabinets.

You don't have the latest python-leather gold-coated Summilux 50 special edition that comes with white gloves used by Mandler to design the original lens during cold winters ? Really ? ... Quick ! Gotta catch 'em all ! It's only $15000 ! :p

• Like 2

• 2 years later...

The optics are the same. If you can live with the hood/filter problem (well documented elsewhere) it is an interesting alternative to the regular lens. I came close to buying one and the one I tested was notable for me because, unlike the two regular ones I have owned (the first from 2005), it had a light and very smooth focussing action and did not show any tendency towards back focus when focussed at F1.4 in the close focussing range.

• Like 1

I am afraid to my eyes, the scalloped focus ring makes it look just like a Cosina Voigtlander - not a good look. I do wonder however, if Leica have tweaked the focusing concentric sleeves and slopes for the moving elements. Compared with the 50 ASPH Summilux I had some years ago, the black chrome one I looked at in Nice, had very smooth and reasonably light focusing. My silver chrome version was stiff enough and had a sufficiently sharp edged focus tab, that it could actually cut your finger. I left it at Solms during a visit but I suspect it was returned untouched, as it was no lighter to focus than when I left it. 

Wilson

Edited by wlaidlaw
  • Like 1

For what it's worth, I had the standard black anodised version of the 50mm Summilux ASPH. Bought it new in 2012. Out of the box, the focus was buttery smooth and effortless, and it gave razor sharp and beautiful results. A good copy, you might say. I never really liked the retractable hood though, and in a fit of extravagance, traded the lens in for the black chrome version in 2015. I really really like the black chrome version, and the hood is effective and sturdy. And I kind of like that it's one of only 500.

The action of the aperture ring on the black chrome lens is sublime - weighted just perfectly, much like Leica lenses from the fifties and sixties. But the focus is a little stiffer and more uneven compared to the one I traded in against it. I don't mind this, but it goes to show that sample variation exists in all hand-built lenses. Results-wise, I can't tell any difference between the two lenses.

Edited by colint544
  • Like 3