SLR Magic 50mm T0.95 Hyperprime LM question

jto555

Advertisement (gone after registration)

Hi, it is nearly 3 years since SLR Magic launched the 50mm T0.95 Hyperprime LM lens, and at the time people were worried about the build quality.

Some people must have bought the lens, so I would love to know how have the lenses lasted? What was SLR Magics back-up service like? Are people still happy with the lens?

The reason I am asking is that I would like to get a 50mm, and while the Summilux is about €4,300 the SLR Magic LM is about €4,900. The daddy of them all, the Noctilux is about €11,500 (ouch). I know the Summilux is smaller, lighter, pin sharp with wonderful colours and contrast, but an environmental portrait at f0.95... Hmmmmm :p

Correct me if I am wrong, butI think nobody in Leicaland has heard or seen anything since 2012 as the maker disappeared in a huff (no pun intended!)...It is still mentioned on his site. I would be very wary of spending 5000 USD on such a lens without actually having one in my hands and testing it out before paying. The time I tried one I found it far too heavy and bulky.

Edited by jaapv

Thanks Jaapv, yes it is a truckload of money to take a chance with. That is why I was hoping to get feed back from some users. The next stage would have been to see if the distributor in the UK would have a sample that I could try out.

It looks like I have fallen at the first hurdle, as you are probably right and that very few people and no forum members have the lens. So no point in going to the next stage.

It looks like I will have to "make do" with the Summilux...

:D

Now all I need to do is get the funds! :eek:

I know the Summilux is smaller, lighter, pin sharp with wonderful colours and contrast, but an environmental portrait at f0.95... Hmmmmm :p

........ using 0.95 severely limits what you can take photos of ...... and whilst some things look great ..... others look odd and some just plain awful.

at 0.95 you have a host of barely controlled aberrations which add 'character' and can make ..... or break.... an image.

once the novelty has worn off you will go back to using sensible apertures.

it is a lot of money to spend to scratch an itch ..... :rolleyes:

I have the occasional 'Noctilux day' where I specifically go out hunting for subjects that will look good at 0.95 .... but otherwise it is too heavy to cart about just on the off chance.

Similarly with my Petzval ...... good fun but not an everyday lens .....

unless you have deep pockets and are financially incontinent I would leave it as a dream to be fulfilled after the lotto numbers come up .....

It looks like I have fallen at the first hurdle, as you are probably right and that very few people and no forum members have the lens. So no point in going to the next stage.

Fallen at the first hurdle ? No problem. Stand up and start running again ! ;)

I have got the lens. $3000 on Amazon for the one without RF coupling.

It is working fine after about 2 years (no heavy usage). The rendering style is very similar to the Leica 50/0.95 and quite different than the Leica 50/1.

You can shoot environmental portraits with a fast lens if you keep the subject (focus field) far enough.

Pros:

- My copy is amazingly sharp wide open in the center.

- Nice modern rendering style.

- Most people won't be able to tell the difference between this lens and a Noctilux 50/0.95.

- Much cheaper than Noctiluxes.

Cons:

- Huge and heavy.

- Horrible screw-in lens cap.

- Colors are not on par with the Noctilux 50/0.95.

P.S. My favorite 50 is the Noctilux 50/1. Unpredictable lens wide open, it won't stop surprising me. Amazingly sharp and consistent stopped down (just watch out for focus shift).

Edited by CheshireCat
  • Like 2

Advertisement (gone after registration)

http://www.l-camera-forum.com/leica-forum/customer-forum/104411-noctilux-f-0-95-compared-voigtlander-3.html#post2880713

I paid $500,- for my lens used. It is surprisingly sharp at 5,6, as good as my Planar 50mm (or better). I would never pay thousands of dollars to go from 1,1 to 0,95.

I paid $500,- for my lens used. It is surprisingly sharp at 5,6, as good as my Planar 50mm (or better). I would never pay thousands of dollars to go from 1,1 to 0,95.

The Hyperprime is a different lens than the Nokton. It's not the extra fraction of a shot that makes the difference. It's the rendering style.

Edited by CheshireCat
  • Like 1

"Magic Hyper Prime" :rolleyes::rolleyes:

Am I the only one laughing at this?

The name of the lens is "HyperPrime" which is no more laughable than "Master Prime" or "Super Elmar".

Alas, the company name is "SLR Magic"... and if I were them, I would have changed company name long ago ;).

You might be happy enough with a Canon 50mm F/0.95 lens either converted to M or with a Canon 7 body.

Yes the Canon seems to be a great lens. However lots of people seem to think so as well, so the prices are quite high. :eek: The big issues is to make sure that it focuses correctly with the M. If the focus is off where do you go to get it adjusted?

Fallen at the first hurdle ? No problem. Stand up and start running again ! ;)

I have got the lens. $3000 on Amazon for the one without RF coupling.

It is working fine after about 2 years (no heavy usage). The rendering style is very similar to the Leica 50/0.95 and quite different than the Leica 50/1.

You can shoot environmental portraits with a fast lens if you keep the subject (focus field) far enough.

Pros:

- My copy is amazingly sharp wide open in the center.

- Nice modern rendering style.

- Most people won't be able to tell the difference between this lens and a Noctilux 50/0.95.

- Much cheaper than Noctiluxes.

Cons:

- Huge and heavy.

- Horrible screw-in lens cap.

- Colors are not on par with the Noctilux 50/0.95.

P.S. My favorite 50 is the Noctilux 50/1. Unpredictable lens wide open, it won't stop surprising me. Amazingly sharp and consistent stopped down (just watch out for focus shift).

Thanks a million! Have you had any reason to deal with SLR Magic? If so, what are they like? I send an email to them about the lens and they never got back to me.

John

Thanks a million! Have you had any reason to deal with SLR Magic? If so, what are they like? I send an email to them about the lens and they never got back to me.

I had only contacted them about the availability of the announced M-mount 35/0.95.

They said they would have let me know, but never did. I suppose the reason is this:

SLR Magic HyperPrime 35mm f/0.95 and 24mm f/1.4 lenses for Leica M cancelled | Leica News & Rumors

Which may also be the reason they did not get back to you. I am not excusing them. Potential customers deserve all the care and attentions a company can give.

Back to the 50, my copy is still working great. I don't know if I was lucky, nor what will happen should I have to send it in for repair. I am an early adopter by nature, and thought these guys deserved the money just because they had the balls to compete against the well-known "monsters". YMMV.

The Hyperprime is a different lens than the Nokton. It's not the extra fraction of a shot that makes the difference. It's the rendering style.

"Rendering style". Ok. Why not a $50,- Soviet lens if you want something unlike other lenses?

"Rendering style". Ok. Why not a $50,- Soviet lens if you want something unlike other lenses?

$50 soviet lenses are certainly interesting, but I doubt they come close to the Noctilux 0.95 :D. The HyperPrime does, and some people even like it better.

• Like 1

Correct me if I am wrong, butI think nobody in Leicaland has heard or seen anything since 2012 as the maker disappeared in a huff (no pun intended!)...

I've heard from them quite often and even had a couple cups of coffee every time I visited their booth during Photokina 2014.

And they showed a really nice 50mm APO 2,1 cine lens there, too.

Regarding to my informations they simply stopped selling the rangefinder coupled lens outside Hong Kong in the past because of the trouble in case the lens and the rangefinder of each camera do not work perfectly together and would need an adjustment.

The time I tried one I found it far too heavy and bulky....

Here I can not disagree ;), but this is what I think about most of the available 0.95 50mm lenses.

That's why maybe one day a E60 Noctilux with the removable bayonet or clip on hood will find its why in my pocket. ;)

... If so, what are they like? I send an email to them about the lens and they never got back to me.

I know Andrew as a very nice guy and the rangefinder coupled version I shoot sometimes with works great.

Jochen

I've heard from them quite often and even had a couple cups of coffee every time I visited their booth during Photokina 2014.

And they showed a really nice 50mm APO 2,1 cine lens there, too.

Regarding to my informations they simply stopped selling the rangefinder coupled lens outside Hong Kong in the past because of the trouble in case the lens and the rangefinder of each camera do not work perfectly together and would need an adjustment.

I've visited their reseller in HK many times and have also corresponded with SLR Magic. The above is right: after their launch fiasco (which is endlessly derided on this forum, in a bizarre schoolyard manner), they decided not to sell the RF-coupled version except in person, when RF-coupling can be tested. But they are certainly still in business and in correspondence, and the HyperPrime remains for sale.

The lens itself was heavy as expected, which was fine for me. Both aperture and focus rings are very thin, and not well differentiated, so I didn't like the handling.

Edited by alanjung

which version is it ? this one --> LEICA 50mm f/1 NOCTILUX (1976-2008)

Yes. That's the last version.

I understand the optics are identical for all 50/1 versions, but I much prefer the built in hood (even if far from ideal).

Again, please note the lens decides what to do in your photos. You just press the shutter. You have been warned ;)