Konica 50mm f2.4 on full frame bodies

mdg1371

Advertisement (gone after registration)

Anyone using the limited edition collapsible Konica 50mm f2.4 on an M9 or M240?

I've tried searching, and the scant few threads that are present are either pre-digital, or are M8 centric.

I'm looking for as much detailed information as possible as to the qualities of the lens-- resolution, bokeh, mechanics, etc.

Any feedback appreciated.

I've had one for just over 6 years, using it to replace a 50/2.8 Elmar-M (modern version). It works fine on the M 240, just like it did on the M9, M8 & my film bodies.

Not sure how to describe its qualities (including boke), but mine appears to live up to its excellent reputation. IIRC, Erwin Puts tested it as slightly better than the Elmar-M; I can't say that mine is noticeably better than the Elmar, but it's certainly comparable. As far as mechanics/build quality, it is made of a lighter alloy than the chrome Elmar-M I had so was noticeably less heavy, so probably more like a black Elmar-M (my Hexanon has the silver finish, but it's not chrome plate on brass like the Leica). The focus action is smooth &, as already mentioned, there have been no focus-related problems on my digital bodies (which is consistent w/my experience w/all of my LTM & M mount Konica glass). There is a tiny bit of play in the lens tube when the lens is extended, unlike my Elmar-M (more like a 1930s-40s Elmar), but it doesn't seem to have any optical effect.

Don't have too many samples online, & none digital right now (a couple years behind on my flickr uploads), mainly because it's way too slow to be in my regular rotation. I had originally thought I was going to use it as a travel lens for daylight shooting (& I liked that it was lighter & used 40.5mm filters), but I've found it easier just to carry 1 fast lens. I am using it more now w/the M 240 on account of its acceptable ISO 2500-3200 performance.

Anyone using the limited edition collapsible Konica 50mm f2.4 on an M9 or M240?

I've tried searching, and the scant few threads that are present are either pre-digital, or are M8 centric.

I'm looking for as much detailed information as possible as to the qualities of the lens-- resolution, bokeh, mechanics, etc.

Any feedback appreciated.

Edited by furcafe

• 2 weeks later...
  • 2 years later...

Funny that you are resurrecting this topic, Raid.

Actually, I bought another one of these only a couple of months ago, after having briefly owned (and sold) a previous copy several years ago.

The price was very good (it came with a Dual 21-35) and I figured I'd give it a second chance. I have never been a big fan of the Hexanons, with the possible exception of the UC-Hex 35/2 that's beautifully built (and that I kind of regret having sold as well).

Anyway, to make a long story short, I still find the 50/2.4 somewhat underwhelming, especially compared to the 50/2.8 Elmar-M: hard to explain, but the Konica is just *meh*, without the color richness and balanced contrast of the Elmar-M. To put it differently: it's not as good as comparable "modern" lenses and does not have the character of vintage glass. But that's just me. The focus tab is nice, though.

On a separate note: I haven't found time to play with it properly yet, but the Dual may improve my opinion of Konica lenses  :).

• 6 months later...

Is this actually the same lens as the Konishiroku 50/2.4?

Pete.

Interesting question.

AFAIK, there's no 50/2.4 lens labeled Konishiroku (they made only very few lenses in LTM in the 50's).

However, Konishiroku was the predecessor of Konica, which, in turn, later merged with Minolta.

The Konica Hexanon 50/2.4 is a collapsible Limited Edition lens in screw mount that was manufactured at the turn of the millennium.

Interesting question.

AFAIK, there's no 50/2.4 lens labeled Konishiroku (they made only very few lenses in LTM in the 50's).

However, Konishiroku was the predecessor of Konica, which, in turn, later merged with Minolta.

The Konica Hexanon 50/2.4 is a collapsible Limited Edition lens in screw mount that was manufactured at the turn of the millennium.

Thanks, Ecar, I recall seeing a Konishiroku 50/2.4 for sale a few years ago and nearly pulled the trigger but I already had fourteen 50 mm lenses at that stage so discretion became the better part of valour.

Pete.

• 1 year later...

I have this lens almost permanently on my silver 0.85 M7, and sometimes when film developing is inconvenient I wear it on the silver M9-P; colors go well together with these bodies. More importantly I have gotten really great results with this collapsible lens. Great colors and contrast, and I prefer it to the Elmar - Highly recommended!

• Like 2

• 1 year later...

I have just bought one too. When you use it on the SL2 compared to the Elmar-M (I have the silver one) you can see very clearly how much superior the Hexanon is to the Elmar.

Does anyone have more information about the lens construction, for example a cross-sectional view?

21 minutes ago, paulleica said:

I have just bought one too. When you use it on the SL2 compared to the Elmar-M (I have the silver one) you can see very clearly how much superior the Hexanon is to the Elmar.

Does anyone have more information about the lens construction, for example a cross-sectional view?

link to a blog

where we can see this optic cross section,

50 last Summicron/Summarit-M like

Welcome, dear visitor! As registered member you'd see an image here…

Simply register for free here – We are always happy to welcome new members!

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1