Open Thread: Street? Anyone can do street!

Advertisement (gone after registration)

Welcome, dear visitor! As registered member you'd see an image here…

Simply register for free here – We are always happy to welcome new members!

Leica M6 & Summicron 50mm & Kodak BW400CN.

Hi All,

Can't find an open thread for street photography, and these small one off threads aren't my style, so here it is. This example came off my second or third reel of street attempts, so HCB isn't exactly glowing with admiration. Still, it's a start.

Open thread, so let's see how you're doing too. Newbies, people flirting with the genre, and street zen masters are all equally welcome.

Ric

Leica M6 & Summicron 50mm & Ilford XP2.

Taken at Milano Centrale, and my first "brave" shot as that lady was watching me the whole time.

Ric

And, erm, a photo of a street taken from a balcony. Not much bravery on this shot, unless yer afraid of heights.

Enough from me for now, let's see how you're doing.

Ric

[ATTACH]489945[/ATTACH]

Hi All,

Can't find an open thread for street photography, and these small one off threads aren't my style, so here it is. This example came off my second or third reel of street attempts, so HCB isn't exactly glowing with admiration. Still, it's a start.

Open thread, so let's see how you're doing too. Newbies, people flirting with the genre, and street zen masters are all equally welcome.

Ric

How broad may we take it? Are these following two ok?

• Like 14

• Like 14

Advertisement (gone after registration)

How broad may we take it? Are these following two ok?

They are perfect, IMHO. To me, a street shot is not only shooting in street; or, a nice clean shot! It should tell a story, even if the story is different for each viewer! ... At least, it must have an emotional element!... I find that in both your shots.

• Like 2

And another one, although street photography's a lot easier when yer a bit sneaky.

Ric

And another...

Leica M6 & Summicron 50mm & Ilford XP2

This was my first "brave" shot, with that beautiful girl looking right at me from start to finish. I got a movie star smile from her (if you think she's pretty here, then you see how she looked smiling) moments after hitting the camera release, but was too surprised to think to snap another picture.

Ric

And this one was again in Milano Centrale, where I did my "find a scene and then wait for a passerby to complete the picture" thing. I snapped a couple of shots over a few minutes, and this seemed to be the better one. Then I felt a bit daft standing there looking at the same ad and moved on.

Wonder if HCB ever felt daft waiting next to puddles of water for hours.

Ric

The other snap, for completeness. Cr@p, innit.

Ric

Sat at a café on an outside table (a first, this year) and taking random snaps of whatever passing wildlife. Frau Capucho seems less shocked than she was that her husband is photographing perfect strangers.

The good looking couple walked on by, wandered around the square there for ten minutes or so, then returned to the café and took a table. I tried to snap them again, a bit closer, but she thought I was taking a shot of the view, so sort of pushed her man to one side and jumped to the other side. Then gifted me with a dazzling smile! I was too surprised (and charmed) to think to snap the moment when they pushed to either side. Damn. One that got away.

The Swiss can be very formal, often very distant. But every now and again they do things that show that their hearts are just as big as anyone else's. That's why I married one.

Ric

[ATTACH]491058[/ATTACH]

Sat at a café on an outside table (a first, this year) and taking random snaps of whatever passing wildlife. Frau Capucho seems less shocked than she was that her husband is photographing perfect strangers.

The good looking couple walked on by, wandered around the square there for ten minutes or so, then returned to the café and took a table. I tried to snap them again, a bit closer, but she thought I was taking a shot of the view, so sort of pushed her man to one side and jumped to the other side. Then gifted me with a dazzling smile! I was too surprised (and charmed) to think to snap the moment when they pushed to either side. Damn. One that got away.

The Swiss can be very formal, often very distant. But every now and again they do things that show that their hearts are just as big as anyone else's. That's why I married one.

Ric

Ric, the slight blur gives charm to this last photo ...versus picture of MM

Well done

Best

Henry

Some of the above are very good, others rather poor IMHO.

Street photography is hard to define, everyone has their own idea, but I don't think it qualifies as snapshots of random people doing nothing in particular. If you want those kind of shots you could just set up a camera to take a photo at random times, or go CCTV!

Edit out the weak shots and it makes the rest stronger.

• Like 3