Leica T lens roadmap?

I remember reading an article about the Nikon D3 by a pro sports photographer who wrote "For me the pixel race is over ...". I also remember, and was very impressed by, this article (quite a long time ago now!)

Rob Galbraith DPI: Alex Majoli points and shoots

I too have always lobbied for the 35mm sized sensor as I am used to its depth of field etc. but, for photojournalism and documentary photography, there is a case to be made for the APS sensor and the increased depth of field that this brings (due to the wider angle required to match the 35mm field of view).

I personally like everything sharp in my photographs and rarely even consider using a lens wide-open. keeping the maximum lens aperture within reasonable limits allows a very sharp lens with compact dimensions.

Every format has its positives and compromises: the choice should be made on your requirements.

Good to read your comments here, Harold.

Mike.

When you look at the lenses that Fuji produces for the APS-C sensor, three things Leica has to beware of when producing T-lenses.

Firstly, do it right the first time. Fuji is improving all the time, but has to make two iterations of the same lens with very short intervals, before the quality is up to scratch ( look at the 35mm./1.4 or the 56 mm./1.2) This is not good for customer confidence! So wait for production until the quality is Leica-quality, before selling it to the public. We can wait...

Second, keep watch on the size , even when it means no ultra fast lenses. These Fuji lenses are almost equalling the size of DSLR-lenses. This can't be the intention for the T-line. So as fast as possible, isn't the only aim for the T-lenses, compactness is also important. A (APO-) Summicron quality will suffice if it is necessary to keep the scale down or make them manual and find a solution for the aperture coupling (electronics, not Leica's forte!).

Third, incorporate weatherproofing as soon as possible. I tend to buy lenses once, don't make me buy a second version when the next weatherproofed T- camera is developed.

Just some thoughts....

Regarding keeping the scale dow. We know from the M lenses that Leica knows how to keep the size of lenses down which is great. We also know that one of the reasons that they went with 3.5-5.6 and 3.5-4.5 for the zooms was to keep size down for portability. So we know that is their intent.

However, I would say that there is some room for negotiation when we are talking about the 56-60mm focal distance for a portrait lens. So much of portrait photography style (or maybe fad/fashion) has to do with narrow depth of field. On full frame they suggest <f/4. On m43 they had a problem with the 45mm - f/2.8 it wasn't narrow enough (@2.5m about 10") which compares with a full frame 90mm f/5.6. Even Olympus's f/1.8 wasn't quite enough for many people and so Panasonic came out with the 42.5 f/1.2 which gets to down to about about 4.5" of DOF like a full frame 90mm f/2.8. People don't complain about its size because it is a portrait lens and you don't necessarily need to walk around with it all day.

I would suggest that for 56-60mm Leica tries to make a Summilux-T rather than a Summicron-T for the same reason: to match the narrow DOF of a full frame 85-90mm. So if they gave us a Summilux-T 60 f/1.4 it would be similar to the Summicron-M 90 f/2 in DOF. So I think that is the one place where I think that Leica could relax their concern about size and people wouldn't complain.

Other than that one exception. I think that Summicrons would be fine.

In addition to weather and dust sealing, I would make one other big change to the overall the Leica T lens design. Instead of a freely rotating manual focus ring, I would love it if they gave it stops at minimum focus and infinity. That way you can learn the focal distance by feel and know for example: all the way to the right is infinity, all the way to the left is minimum focus, and about 30 degrees from minimum focus is about 1.5m or whatever it happens to be.

• Like 1

I'm sure that Leica will give us good lenses. I have limited experience using the T but at this stage I'm more interested in the new T lens mount than the current T camera.

I'm hoping that the T evolves into a system for photojournalism and social documentary: small, light discreet, weather-sealed etc. An amalgam of T with X shutter and aperture dials would be good. AE and AF lock - with a space for my thumb.

No reason why the current T design can't co-exist with a (slightly) larger and more traditional, professional body, with both models sharing the T lens mount.

Mike.

• Like 3