Voigtlander 15mm f4.5 VM III

DMJ

Advertisement (gone after registration)

i have two questions -- does v3 really matter for a film shooter? it seems most of the improvement addresses sensor/digital issues. second, i have been told by someone who should know that wider (larger, as in filter thread size) are going to be less sharp that a smaller lens of same focal length. has to do with physics, at which point the discussion brought me to another oban. wondering, is the v2 as sharp or sharper at 4.5 vs v3?

thanks in advance for the answers

As the owner of v1 and v3 I would say the answer to the 1st question is no.  I would stretch that to include crop-sensor digitals as well.  I never missed rangefinder coupling on the v1 either, so bypassed the v2 altogether. 

To the 2nd part of your question, the filter thread size doesn't always proportion to the size of the front element.  The 15 CV is a strong case in point.  v2 has a much bigger front diameter with 52mm filter size, but the optics are identical to v1 (which doesn't have filter threads at all).  Same with the 12mm v1 vs v2. 

• Like 1

• 4 months later...

Something I'm not clear about having read a couple of reviews and this thread. Is it true that V2 while M mount is not RF coupled while V3 is?

My two applications would be occasional use. Indoor architectural shots for my friend and astrophotography while backpacking. In those cases would there be any real advantage of the v3 over v2? 

The corner sharpness on the M240 with its micro lenses etc... (vs on the A7) seems to be something I'm not getting clear consensus on here.

What I'm trying to decide is it worth it for the extra $300 and the extra size. While the V2 seems practically insignificant V3 seems to take real space.

I have the 15mm Mk3 and a M240

The rangerfinder works fine for me and allows me to focus just fine.

The live view also works fine as does focus peaking.

The images are just great too. There is a very small ammount of vignetting but that's expected and the ACR profile sorts it.

Why don't you take your camera to a dealer, take some test shots and examine them at home.

That's what I did after all it's your money you're spending.

• Like 1

V2 is RF coupled.

If occasional use is your aim than size ought to be lesser consideration, also RF coupling or lack of is lesser issue for 15mm FL lens.

Latest V3 was designed to produce clean image on digital full frame & colour M sensor (M240/M9), if you like or can live with flat-field or corner fix corrections than buy older V1 or V2 and save 300 bucks. 

Something I'm not clear about having read a couple of reviews and this thread. Is it true that V2 while M mount is not RF coupled while V3 is?

My two applications would be occasional use. Indoor architectural shots for my friend and astrophotography while backpacking. In those cases would there be any real advantage of the v3 over v2? 

The corner sharpness on the M240 with its micro lenses etc... (vs on the A7) seems to be something I'm not getting clear consensus on here.

What I'm trying to decide is it worth it for the extra $300 and the extra size. While the V2 seems practically insignificant V3 seems to take real space.

• Like 2

V2 is RF coupled.

If occasional use is your aim than size ought to be lesser consideration, also RF coupling or lack of is lesser issue for 15mm FL lens.

Latest V3 was designed to produce clean image on digital full frame & colour M sensor (M240/M9), if you like or can live with flat-field or corner fix corrections than buy older V1 or V2 and save 300 bucks. 

Good point. The occasional use thing cuts both ways for me. If it is tiny, I'm more likely to carry it and then have it and pull it out for fun. Sort of like I do with the macro adapter. This is especially true when backpacking. However, if it is occasional use then you can deal with more. It could be the size and weight of a SL lens and it wouldn't bother you as much. My current idea for my next backpacking trip is to to go with a:

• 28mm Summicron
  • 90mm APO Summicon (I know a Macro-Elmar would be better but I have other uses for a short tele and this one is better suited for those and until budget allows, I'll lug this beast.)
  • Macro adapter
  • 16mm for star shots and wide panoramic shots

The V2 being RF coupled is important.

• 1 year later...
  • 4 years later...

Do any of the 15mm Heliar III owners use a 58mm ND filter? I would like to do longtime exposures and am not so sure if the spherical front lens scratches certain filters. I have not been able to discover any images with filters screwed in on the net

Edited by OttoWitte

5 hours ago, OttoWitte said:

Do any of the 15mm Heliar III owners use a 58mm ND filter? I would like to do longtime exposures and am not so sure if the spherical front lens scratches certain filters. I have not been able to discover any images with filters screwed in on the net

I have a B+W XS-Pro Digital 58mm ND3 filter mounted on my super wide Heliar III 15mm and do not see any mechanical problem. I tried first with a clear filter of the same brand/series as it is difficult to see what happens with a dark filter.

Screwing/unscrewing thin mount filters inside the fixed sunshade is not easy but it gets done without too much fuss.

12 hours ago, Thury said:

I have a B+W XS-Pro Digital 58mm ND3 filter mounted on my super wide Heliar III 15mm and do not see any mechanical problem. I tried first with a clear filter of the same brand/series as it is difficult to see what happens with a dark filter.

Screwing/unscrewing thin mount filters inside the fixed sunshade is not easy but it gets done without too much fuss.

Thanks for the quick reply. I will order this filter. You have helped me a lot with it. I am glad that I do not have to put some huge setup in front of the lens

20 hours ago, OttoWitte said:

Thanks for the quick reply. I will order this filter. You have helped me a lot with it. I am glad that I do not have to put some huge setup in front of the lens

Vieri Bottazzini went to the extreme to put filters on this lens. He describes it here.

It is a wonderful lens. 

This is probably one of the best super wide-angle lenses out there. Any wider and you may just see your feet in the frame.

Didn't really use it much with my M9-P as framing was always trial and error. With an M10-P and Visoflex, its simply awesome.

Edited by rramesh
  • Like 1

On 7/19/2021 at 5:36 AM, RoySmith said:

Vieri Bottazzini went to the extreme to put filters on this lens. He describes it here.

It is a wonderful lens. 

On 7/19/2021 at 5:36 AM, RoySmith said:

It is a wonderful lens. 

Interesting article, thank you. But somehow I am reluctant to cut the lens. I have 5 thumbs on each hand, so to speak.

• Like 1