Voigtlander 15mm f4.5 VM III

DMJ

I managed to get a few quick shots around the garden in the late afternoon.

Welcome, dear visitor! As registered member you'd see an image here…

Simply register for free here – We are always happy to welcome new members!

And here is a comparison of the new lens with my old Voigtlander 15mm which is a screw mount fitted with a codable adapter. The new lens is significantly bigger and heavier.

• Like 2

Advertisement (gone after registration)

^Here's a high resolution example from the Sony A7R. From the Australian store Mainline photo in Melbourne.

Looks acceptably sharp in the edges, although there is a fair bit of CA. No colour shift! Not bad for something which costs a sixth of the Tri-Elmar.

http://mainlinephoto.com.au/content/V15F8-A7R.JPG

Hey Momnb.

Mainline is in Sydney, not Melbourne. Crows Nest to be precise.

Gordon

• Like 1

What profile did you use?

The 16mm setting on the Tri-Elmar was recommended to me by tthe guys at the show

How much processing did you do to the images?

Not much vignetting is visible

The raw files were processed with Lightroom 5.7. No special profile and only minimal adjustment of exposure - mainly lifting the shadows a little. I did not apply any codes though I may try the Tri-Elmar 16mm and perhaps coding as 21mm when I have a bit more time tomorrow. I am very pleased that the designers of the lens seem to have dealt with the colour shift which was the main drawback of the earlier versions.

• Like 1

Is this what 16mm normally looks like? Seems very distorted to me. Any M9 or MM examples?

It's perspective distortion. Which is the look one buys such a lens for! For certain shots it works, ie the last shot with the flowers. I love the way ultra wide angles sort of 'pull' the surrounding into the frame and provide very obvious lines and angles to the shot which adds to composition. These types of lenses exaggerate geometry.

Edited by Mornnb

Here is an example, straight out of the M240 sans profile, hand held at f8, with corner and close to centre sections magnified 400%:

20150327-140653_L1001753-overlaid.jpg

There is some CA in the corner, but it's easy to fix in Lightroom and not as bad as the fast Leica lenses, eg. It does not extend beyond the strut intersecting the corner of the top left inset.

• Like 3

I went to the Spitalfields Market today where there was a record fair

Here's a shot with my new 15mmm III

I really does let you get in there!

There was a brewer's market there too!

• Like 4

A quick and dirty test at a Rodeo competition in Sydney. Now this is wide open at f4.5, exported from the dng with no edits.

Edited by Mornnb
  • Like 4

That's what I thought, although there is an unpainted notch where I assume that the 6-bit coding would go.

Anyway, here is a crude comparison of the field of view between 15mm f4.5, 18mm f3.8 and 21mm f1.4. (I have not attempted to match features very hard as it is clear that the lenses have different amounts of distortion; these are out of camera M240 jpegs at around f8.)

NaturalHistoryMuseumOverlay2048.jpg

• Like 17