Cant Load new firmware

Advertisement (gone after registration)

I have ben unable to load the new firmware on my T. I have done everything as directed, using two different batteries(fully charged) and two different Sd (newly formatted )cards. Spoke with Peter at MIAMI LEICA, and tried it with a file of the new software that he knew worked, but my camera just wont do it...just wants to Video but no recognition of new software. Anyone else having this problem?? any other thoughts or ideas?

• Like 1

Do you have the downloaded update at the root of the SD card?

Some of us did not understand what 'root' meant. OP - simply drag the update (it has an extension of .upd) on top of the SD card, then place the card in the camera.

If the update has a .zip extension, then first double-click on the file in your computer and choose the resulting '.upd' file to drag onto the SD card.

Best of luck.

Some of us did not understand what 'root' meant. OP - simply drag the update (it has an extension of .upd) on top of the SD card, then place the card in the camera.

If the update has a .zip extension, then first double-click on the file in your computer and choose the resulting '.upd' file to drag onto the SD card.

Best of luck.

On the T it is a non-zip TUF file.

If you are on MAC, erase all previous downloads of the file.

Put your card in the camera, format

Remove the card from the camera and put it in the card reader of your computer.

On your computer:

Download the update file from Leica’s website.

Open the SD card

Drag the downloaded .TUF file onto the card

Eject the card properly

Make sure your camera is switched off

Insert the card

Switch the camera on whilst holding the video button and follow the instructions on the screen.

Edited by jaapv
  • Like 1

Worth repeating from the M FAQ:

For " .upd" read: ".TUF"

Question:

My camera does not seem to recognize the update file on my SD card at all. Why is this?

It appears that the routine that determines which version you are going to upload does this by extracting information from the filename on your SD card, and not from the actual firmware data. If you have downloaded the update multiple times the actual name of the .upd file can be changed on each downloaded version. It seems to be quite safe to accept this incorrect looking version, as the actual firmware version that is loaded will be correct, but this message can cause alarm when you see it.

In order to prevent this message, you should ensure that the name of the file that you copy onto your SD card is in the following format. m9-V_VVV.upd where V_VVV is the version number.

If you are using a Mac, multiple downloads will gain a suffix on the main body of the filename of '-X', where X is incremented on each copy. (See the picture below for an example of this.)

For example, if you are trying to update your M9 to version 1.138, the filename on your SD card must be m9-1_138.upd exactly.

Other computer systems may have different ways of dealing with multiple downloads. If your camera does not recognize the update file at all, then it is possible that multiple downloads have caused a suffix to be added to the '.upd' part of the filename.

If you are unsure as to how to rename these files so that they will be recognized correctly, then you may be advised to delete them all from your computer and do a fresh download to ensure that you get the correct filenames.

Finally, please make sure that you have copied the unzipped file your SD card. If you try to use the still zipped file, your camera will not recognise it.

Edited by jaapv
  • Like 1

My update file ends in .tuf not .upd

how do i get to .upd...?

BTW I did everything afain all accoding to te instructions but no go!!

Ted

Well, I highlighted the relevant sentence of my post now. May I suggest you take your camera to your dealer and have them update the camera for you?

On the T it is a non-zip TUF file.

If you are on MAC, erase all previous downloads of the file.

Put your card in the camera, format

Remove the card from the camera and put it in the card reader of your computer.

On your computer:

Download the update file from Leica’s website.

Open the SD card

Drag the downloaded .TUF file onto the card

Eject the card properly

Make sure your camera is switched off

Insert the card

Switch the camera on whilst holding the video button and follow the instructions on the screen.

Edited by jaapv

I finally got it to load. Ben at MIAMI LEICA suggested i try a less exotic sd card ( mine are 64gb extreme) I went to WALMART and bought an 8gb sandisk card..formatted it and put the tuf download on the card and the Leica T loved it and uploaded the new software.I am very happy:)

thanks to all for their advice, mostTHANKS to LEICA MIAMI !!

• Like 1

I finally got it to load. Ben at MIAMI LEICA suggested i try a less exotic sd card ( mine are 64gb extreme) I went to WALMART and bought an 8gb sandisk card..formatted it and put the tuf download on the card and the Leica T loved it and uploaded the new software.I am very happy:)

thanks to all for their advice, mostTHANKS to LEICA MIAMI !!

I have an old 4gb card that I use for nothing except firmware upgrades. I've never had an update problem. But like you, I use a 64gb extreme for photos.

Thanks for the info! It will keep me out of trouble in the future.

• 11 months later...

cannot expand the .tuf file

updating instructions on Leica website mention a .zip file ??

cannot update software to 1.5

previous software did not work anyway, WIFI capability unstable an camera unseen on network...

A lot of bugs to care...wait for 2.0!!!

HOPE

You do not have to expand the *.tuf. The *.tuf file is the one you have to copy into the root directory of your SD card for the firmware update.

• 4 months later...

Hi everyone.

Just a small contribution to share the working solution.

It is now end of July and I ran into the same issue with firmware 1.51

I have ben unable to load the new firmware on my T. I have done everything as directed, using two different batteries(fully charged) and two different Sd (newly formatted )cards. Spoke with Peter at MIAMI LEICA, and tried it with a file of the new software that he knew worked, but my camera just wont do it...just wants to Video but no recognition of new software. Anyone else having this problem?? any other thoughts or ideas?

@ tbrusty,

you don't mention which firmware version you were trying to load.

I did everything according to the instructions. All the responses here in this thread just repeat parts of the same instructions. For firmware v 1.51, it plainly does not work with the download offered by Leica customer services.

@Like A. Paul

You point to the solution that I also found by extensive googleing. Ana Flefil in Reddotforum wrote

"figured that the update (V1.5) did not have the “V” in the TUF file name (T701_V151.TUF)."

That's it. Rename the firmware file, add that "V" into the filename and the update will work.

@Leica

Hei nomool, what is going on in your joint! You had customers suffering from this issue for more than four months and it never occured to you to fix the filename? Is there anybody listening to customers aknowledging even the smallest fraction of feedback?

Edited by floramobil
  • Like 1

[............................................]

@Like A. Paul

You point to the solution that I also found by extensive googleing. Ana Flefil in Reddotforum wrote

"figured that the update (V1.5) did not have the “V” in the TUF file name (T701_V151.TUF)."

That's it. Rename the firmware file, add that "V" into the filename and the update will work.

That is perfectly right !! Alas! Update 1.5 unzipped gave T701_V15.TUF (correct) But 1.51 version gave T701_151.TUF (wrong). And this is still the case with a download made today! :angry:

Surprising from customers service.

That is perfectly right !! Alas! Update 1.5 unzipped gave T701_V15.TUF (correct) But 1.51 version gave T701_151.TUF (wrong). And this is still the case with a download made today! :angry:

Surprising from customers service.

And I have just updated my T from 1.43 to 1.51. Absolutely no need to rename the file!

@floramobil: Is it possible you tried to update from a version older than 1.43 ?

Jean-Pierre

And I have just updated my T from 1.43 to 1.51. Absolutely no need to rename the file!

@floramobil: Is it possible you tried to update from a version older than 1.43 ?

Jean-Pierre

I downloaded firmware 1.51. The unzipped download file was named T701_151.TUF. The camera had firmware 1.1

It was not possible to update the firmware with the file T701_151.TUF - even after checking and rechecking and re-rechecking and re-re-re-re-re-re-re-re-re-re-re-re-re-reeeeeee-checking the instructions and following them ad nauseum.

Only after I renamed the firmware file to T701_V151.TUF it was possible to update the firmware.

And yes, what a shame on Leica customer services for not correcting this mistake and having their customers google for solutions.