New Owner Of Leica M-P Safari Edition Questions!!

Not needing it, not wanting an M240, and the ugly colour were enough reasons for me to be uninterested in it.:)

Well, I quite like the colour (being a Safari buff) and I more than like the M240, so those lines of defense were not available to me...:(

• Like 2

Just had a look at the camera on the Leica website and it confirms my dislike of the colour and the gaudiness of the set. Interesting classic marketing nonsense from Leica. Apparently the compact nature of the lens "makes the LEICA M-P Edition ‘Safari’ an unobtrusive and discreet companion. What’s more, its elegant silver chrome finish captures not only key moments in time, but also admiring glances.":confused: It seems the Safari set is both unobtrusive and discreet but is also obtrusive and indiscreet enough to attract admiring glances.:D

• Like 4

As I said: aimed at the starchy new Safari Outfit - brand new Tilley Hat brigade. Still, I would not mind - disreputable scruffy patched Khakis and through-the-wars Rogue Hat type- having such a set ;)

Marketing dissonance? :D

Just had a look at the camera on the Leica website and it confirms my dislike of the colour and the gaudiness of the set. Interesting classic marketing nonsense from Leica. Apparently the compact nature of the lens "makes the LEICA M-P Edition ‘Safari’ an unobtrusive and discreet companion. What’s more, its elegant silver chrome finish captures not only key moments in time, but also admiring glances.":confused: It seems the Safari set is both unobtrusive and discreet but is also obtrusive and indiscreet enough to attract admiring glances.:D

Not to my taste either, but Wetzlar57 seems very happy. I wouldn't rain on his parade.

• Like 1

Well, I quite like the colour (being a Safari buff) and I more than like the M240, so those lines of defense were not available to me...:(

Wow, that was really quick that you gave in. Would love to do the same but I don't need it either and don't have that much cash available. Would have to trade in my beloved M9, which I can't justify at all. Most importantly, I still happen to prefer the CCD look when it comes to skin tones - and yes, I saw the comparison by David Farkas which is convincing to me unless we are talking skin tones.

Edited by Bundestrainer

Advertisement (gone after registration)

Of course if you have the cash go for it, just seems somewhat excessive is all.

My reply disappeared.

you dont think its excesive, the OP doesnt - which is fine.

I think it its, ESPECIALLY as a first RF camera, you'd have to be mad for your first car to be a Ferrari.

I wasn't after justification.

You appear to be engaged in what is commonly referred to as "concern trolling."

Wow, that was really quick that you gave in. Would love to do the same but I don't need it either and don't have that much cash available. Would have to trade in my beloved M9, which I can't justify at all. Most importantly, I still happen to prefer the CCD look when it comes to skin tones - and yes, I saw the comparison by David Farkas which is convincing to me unless we are talking skin tones.

Ii didn’t give in - I still have my self-brassed M240...

• Like 1

Not to my taste either, but Wetzlar57 seems very happy. I wouldn't rain on his parade.

Yes, of course. That wasn't my intention but my post might have come across a bit like that. Whilst I'm not keen on the green of the safari in combination with a silver chrome lens and the tan leather strap (tips the balance too far for me) I can understand the appeal of the camera itself and I imagine it looks better in the flesh than it does in the publicity photos. I remember the M-E looked very dodgy in the photos when it came out but it is IMO quite a handsome camera in the flesh.

• Like 2

As I said: aimed at the starchy new Safari Outfit - brand new Tilley Hat brigade. Still, I would not mind - disreputable scruffy patched Khakis and through-the-wars Rogue Hat type- having such a set ;)

Marketing dissonance? :D

All this discussion, and the Safari edition as a whole, inspired me to update my profile photo!

Gotta get in the mood ... :p

Yes, of course. That wasn't my intention but my post might have come across a bit like that. Whilst I'm not keen on the green of the safari in combination with a silver chrome lens and the tan leather strap (tips the balance too far for me) I can understand the appeal of the camera itself and I imagine it looks better in the flesh than it does in the publicity photos. I remember the M-E looked very dodgy in the photos when it came out but it is IMO quite a handsome camera in the flesh.

Sorry, Ian - that wasn't a criticism aimed at you, though it does read that way.

I'm very sure the Safari looks better in the flesh than it does in the photos (actually, it looks good in Wetzlar57's photos). I'm just not such a fan of that Panda look, and for some irrational reason I don't like what look to me like random buttons on the M(240).

With that green body, silver chrome lens and brown case, tortoise-shell sunglasses (with green lenses, of course), a decent Panama, faun chinos or cavalry twill and matching tan leather luggage with buckles are essential. Nothing as gauche as a safari suit and pith helmet, please!

Oh, and brogues, or maybe those suede Timberland boots with the white soles.

• 3 weeks later...

Hi all..... I Am new to all things Leica and have jumped in at the deep end and purchased the M-P 240 Safari edition... after initially buying the Leica X.

Early days with this camera but I am so impressed with the build quality and sheer weight of it.

A few questions for M 240 owners if I may......

1. Can anyone point me in the direction of a good third party spare battery as I cannot find one in my searching. ...or do we have to bite the bullet and shell out for another Leica branded one? I am in the UK by the way.

2. I am struggling with the manual focusing big style at the moment having come from a lifetime of Nikon DSLR's and auto focus. Has anyone got any tips on technique for fool proof sharp focusing?....... and in particular moving subjects.

Not particularly keen on focusing on the LCD by the way so will be persevering with the optical finder. Don't really fancy an EVF either!

3. My eyes are not as sharp as they once were.. so to assist in in my efforts to focus with the range finder I have ordered a Leica X4 magnifier. How does this attach to the eye viewer as it is not immediately obvious. I haven't got it yet but do I have to remove the one on the M240 to install the new one. If so, how do I swap them over?

Sorry for the mundane questions...I am sure you have all heard them or similar before....but I am determined to get to grips with this wonderful camera.

Thanks in advance for any replies... I know how busy everyone is these days!

Hi Wetzlar57.....

Just read your dilemma with the the focusing issue and I think this might help you out.  I got one 2 years ago and it was super!!!  The contrast is that much shaper and thus, confirming that your focus is spot on with better confidence.  I've just got another one for my Safari as I can't image not using one.  If anyone is shooting with a 50mm and above, it makes a world of difference.  It screws directly onto the existing view finder so its completely fuss free.  Go have a look see.  It totally makes sense and completely worth it. 

Hope this helps.  Happy shooting!!! 

http://walterleica.com/eyepiece.html

• Like 1

There are no third-party batteries and certainly no good ones. What would you want one for? There is nothing wrong with the Leica ones.

For focusing there is an elaborate post in the FAQ at the top of this forum.

A magnifier is the wrong end to start if the sharpness of your eyes is a concern. Magnifiers are meant to lengthen the rangefinder baseline for long focal lengths, but not to correct eye problems. They reduce contrast and field of view.

You should order the correct dioptre for your eyes and take it from there

Oh - welcome to the forum and congratulations on your purchase. :)

Question: I come from an autofocus camera background. What is the best way to get good focus on the M9?

The M9 works the same way as any rangefinder camera, the central patch in the viewfinder is your focusing tool.

It is important to look through the viewfinder in the optical axis. Looking into the camera skewed will result in inaccurate focus.

The first thing to do is to ascertain that you can see the rangefinder patch properly. A correct match between the rangefinder and your eye is even more important than it is using an SLR.

Leica sells corrective diopter lenses. Determining which one you need - if any- can be done by going to your optician and holding his try-out lenses between your eye and the viewfinder. The one that allows you to see the rangefinder patch and framelines sharply is the correct one. Order the nearest value from Leica. In a pinch you can use over-the-counter reading glasses for this test. If your eyes need special corrections, you can use your spectacles, provided you can see clearly at 2 metres distance ( the virtual distance of the rangefinder patch). Note that the background will be at background distance,so your eye should ideally be able to accomodate over the distance differential. However, there is some tolerance here.

For special cases there are viewfinder magnifiers. They can help, especially with longer and fast lenses and they can give confidence, but they can also be not very useful; they cannot correct errors in the focusing mechanism or your eye, in fact they magnify them.

Also, one loses contrast and brightness.

Leica offers a 1.25x one and a 1.4x. These need diopter correction like the camera, but often of a different value than the camera viewfinder.

There are also third-party magnifiers, sold by Japan Exposures, that include a variable diopter correction. 1.15x and 1.35x. For patent reasons they cannot be sold in the USA and Germany for use on a Leica camera, but they can be purchased for use on for instance a rifle scope.

Basically, for an experienced user, magnifiers are not needed and will only lower contrast and brightness, but many users do like and use them.

Once the viewfinder is corrected optimally, there are three methods of focusing, in ascending order of difficulty aka training.

1. The broken line method. Look for a vertical line in the image and bring it together in the rangefinder patch to be continuous.

2. The coincidence method. Look for a pattern in the image and bring it together to coincide. This may lead to errors with repeating patterns.

3. The contrast method. Once you have focus by method 1. or 2. a small adjustment will cause the rangefinder patch to "jump" into optimum contrast. At that point you have the most precise focussing adjustment.

Side remarks:

If you try focusing on a subject emitting polarized light like a reflection it may happen that the polarizing effect of the prism system in the rangefinder will blot out the contrast in the rangefinder patch, making focusing difficult. In that case rotate the camera 90 degrees to focus.

Thus... :)

Two additional advices:

Try to avoid fiddling around the focus point - ideally it  should be slap-on, unlike focusing an SLR.

Secondly, make it a habit to reset the ring to infinity. It will avoid confusion about the turning direction.

Thank you all so much for your swift replies!....much appreciated.

I am 'getting it' regarding the third party batteries. Just as well I cant find any as I may have already ordered a couple by now. pened.

Why a couple? Are you planning on taking more than 3000 pictures a day? The batteries work well and if you put the camera on auto shut down , you save energy. Read this and you get a lot of great answers:

http://www.overgaard.dk/Leica-M-Type-240-aka-Leica-M10-digital-rangefinder-camera-page-30.html

Edited by Paulus

I actually have taken more than 3000 pictures in a day, shooting a parade or a rugby game with the 5D Mark III. And it handled it on a single battery with capacity left over.

With the M240 I can get around 600-700 shots on a charge, which is plenty for a day given the slower frame rate and shooting style one uses with it.

Edited by Mornnb