New Owner Of Leica M-P Safari Edition Questions!!

Advertisement (gone after registration)

I did...I got a Leica X and got bored with it after 3 days.

And as for your first comment....I often buy things site unseen and rarely am I disappointed. After all its not as if I am new to photography. I have been a keen hobbyist for many years( Nikon Full Frame DSLR's)...just not with Leica.

Once I had made the decision to swap to Leica it was an easy choice to go for the M 240..... once I realised the limitations( For my purposes anyway) of the X.

You can spend less than 10K and still find out if a Rangerfnder is for you. X isn't a rangefinder

You can spend less than 10K and still find out if a Rangerfnder is for you. X isn't a rangefinder

Yes I know X isn't a rangfinder....one of the reasons it didn't meet with my expectations. And if you want Leica full frame, as I did, then you only have M 240, M-P 240 or M9 to choose from as I am sure you are aware with not a huge difference in prices if you buy new with a decent lens too. :)

Why shouldn't one spend 10K to find out if one likes a rangefinder if one can afford it? Surely that is a personal choice.

• Like 3

Yes I know X isn't a rangfinder....one of the reasons it didn't meet with my expectations. And if you want Leica full frame, as I did, then you only have M 240, M-P 240 or M9 to choose from as I am sure you are aware with not a huge difference in prices if you buy new with a decent lens too. :)

Film M?

Of course if you have the cash go for it, just seems somewhat excessive is all.

Excessive for whom? Is it more acceptable to build up to it? Or to have Leica cred, by inheriting your grandfather's M3, or getting an M4 as a 21st birthday present?

Why pass judgment on a guy who loves photography and has decided to give Leica a go? Leica isn't cheap. There's no one here on a budget when it comes to photography. Everyone who owns a Leica has a cheaper (and many would say better) alternative.

I don't agree. I think Leica is worth it. Apparently, so does the OP. What is an un-excessive way to buy into Leica?

• Like 3

Advertisement (gone after registration)

Maybe the right moment to quote the Forum Mission Statement:

No-one in the Leica forum should ever have to justify their purchase of a Leica product or their enjoyment of it.

Edited by jaapv
  • Like 5

My reply disappeared.

you dont think its excesive, the OP doesnt - which is fine.

I think it its, ESPECIALLY as a first RF camera, you'd have to be mad for your first car to be a Ferrari.

I wasn't after justification.

So John Lennon was mad?;).

I would hardly call the M240 a Ferrari - more like a Morgan. Although having owned a 4/4 for a couple of decades, I admit one must be mad to buy one - period.

• Like 2

I think it its, ESPECIALLY as a first RF camera, you'd have to be mad for your first car to be a Ferrari.

There is no other RF camera on the market. Well, not a digital one anyway. The issue of film vs digital is a bigger one than Rangefinder vs SLR in my opinion.

In terms of a Ferrari, well if you want your sports car to be electric there is no one choice, Telsa. We have a similar problem with Rangefinders. ;)

Consider the fact that it retains a resale value very well, and consider the fact that if you sold the lens and body separately you'd probably make a profit....

In terms of a Ferrari, well if you want your sports car to be electric there is no one choice, Telsa. .

Umm... BMW i8? McLaren P1?(in the future) Porsche Boxter E?

Welcome, dear visitor! As registered member you'd see an image here…

Simply register for free here – We are always happy to welcome new members!

Edited by jaapv

My reply disappeared.

you dont think its excesive, the OP doesnt - which is fine.

MattMaber...you appear to have a problem with the way I choose to spend MY money?

That's your prerogative of course, regardless of what your reasons are.

I do not need to justify myself to you, but I will just say

A. I can afford it

B. I wanted the M-P 240 once I had assessed what was available..... and thought the Safari version was beautiful, so why not?

C. Its none of your damn business!.

I would no more think of passing comment on your lifestyle purchases any more than I would your choice of holiday destination for example.

Each to their own as they say.

• Like 4

MattMaber...you appear to have a problem with the way I choose to spend MY money?

A. I can afford it

B. I wanted the M-P 240 once I had assessed what was available..... and thought the Safari version was beautiful, so why not?

I would no more think of passing comment on your lifestyle purchases any more than I would your choice of holiday destination for example.

I envy you, Wetzlar. I mean it in a positive way. Would love to have this camera after I saw it last week.

A. I can afford it

I think I said I dont have a problem with your choices, your cash do what you want with it.

I said to me it was an odd price point to jump to as your first RF experience given it IS an acquired taste and you also do seem to have some problems with it. You wouldnt have to go straight to digital to experience RF focusing and decide if it was for you or not.

You've explained your thought process, and why you went straight out the gate with 10k - thats fine. Im not judging.

So John Lennon was mad?;).

I would hardly call the M240 a Ferrari - more like a Morgan. Although having owned a 4/4 for a couple of decades, I admit one must be mad to buy one - period.

Hahah I wasn't comparing the M240 to a ferrari, just one niche, expensive product with another.