New Owner Of Leica M-P Safari Edition Questions!!

Correct me if I am wrong, but this is the statement from Leica regarding the Dioptre...

' It should be noted that the Leica M's viewfinder is preset by default of -0.5 dioptre, so eyesight adjustments of 1 dioptre, for example means that a dioptre of +1.5 dioptre would be required.'

This suggests that the OV is set at -0.5 Dioptres?

I believe that both the patch and the viewfinder are set at -0.5D. I am not sure why this is done. I conjecture that the reason is to overcome the phenomena of instrument myopia where the viewer tries to accommodate when looking into the viewfinder. It may also help present a more contrasty image.

As we age and lose our ability to accommodate because of changes to the lens in our eyes(they become stiffer) we no longer are able to overcome the -0.5D of accommodation required to use the VF. So, we get a +0.5D lens or so called diopter.

Or, as pointed out, we get a progressive lens that allows to choose a varying amount of power including even more power for the near focus distance of many Leica lenses of 0.7m. Or, roughly a demand of 1.5D of accommodation. This was Lars' preferred method. :)

Rick

Edited by RickLeica

I have reasonably normal, reasonably mild age induced long sight. I can function perfectly without glasses, but reading is tiring and fine print in poor light impossible. So, I wear progressive glasses most of the time, and life is simple. However, I don't use them when taking photographs. I find that I can see the image and patch down to 0.7m without difficulty.

I hope this lasts as I doubt I would enjoy the reduced view of the rangefinder window with my glasses in the way.

Not going on Safari, I'm generally not far away from electricity for extended periods, so my experience is quite different from Jaap's. I haven't needed a spare battery for my M60 yet. I have three spares for my M9, and one spare for my Leica T, but none for the M60. It has huge capacity, and I'm not "one of those people" whose camera turns on inside the bag.

That said, I don't have an LCD, or video so I expect I get a lot more out of a single charge. My point is, I wouldn't rush to get additional accessories. Jaap has magnifiers he doesn't use in a drawer somewhere, I have batteries that were a good idea at the time. I'd hold off and see if any of this is a problem for you.

There's nothing like simplicity.

I have reasonably normal, reasonably mild age induced long sight. I can function perfectly without glasses, but reading is tiring and fine print in poor light impossible. So, I wear progressive glasses most of the time, and life is simple. However, I don't use them when taking photographs. I find that I can see the image and patch down to 0.7m without difficulty.

I hope this lasts as I doubt I would enjoy the reduced view of the rangefinder window with my glasses in the way.

Not going on Safari, I'm generally not far away from electricity for extended periods, so my experience is quite different from Jaap's. I haven't needed a spare battery for my M60 yet. I have three spares for my M9, and one spare for my Leica T, but none for the M60. It has huge capacity, and I'm not "one of those people" whose camera turns on inside the bag.

That said, I don't have an LCD, or video so I expect I get a lot more out of a single charge. My point is, I wouldn't rush to get additional accessories. Jaap has magnifiers he doesn't use in a drawer somewhere, I have batteries that were a good idea at the time. I'd hold off and see if any of this is a problem for you.

There's nothing like simplicity.

I agree IJ... the only accessory I am buying is the Dioptre which I do need to correct the view to my prescription. Typical Leica but this is the only camera I have owned...even so called budget ones....that has not already got an adjustable Dioptre on the viewfinder...and even then you have to change the Leica one as your prescription changes no doubt over the years as it is not adjustable..... Ho hum..... I am slowly getting used to the Leica way. ;)

Congratulions and welcome to the forum. Curious which pith-helmet and bag are you getting? :rolleyes:

and don't forget your banjo.....

Welcome, dear visitor! As registered member you'd see an image here…

Simply register for free here – We are always happy to welcome new members!

• Like 1

Yeah my thoughts, for 10k you'd think you's give it a try first, or start with a cheaper model!

I did...I got a Leica X and got bored with it after 3 days.

And as for your first comment....I often buy things site unseen and rarely am I disappointed. After all its not as if I am new to photography. I have been a keen hobbyist for many years( Nikon Full Frame DSLR's)...just not with Leica.

Once I had made the decision to swap to Leica it was an easy choice to go for the M 240..... once I realised the limitations( For my purposes anyway) of the X.

Edited by Wetzlar57
  • Like 3

M-P Safari green in natural light

Welcome, dear visitor! As registered member you'd see an image here…

Simply register for free here – We are always happy to welcome new members!

• Like 8

A lens cap?

No - between the Leica 46mm lens cap which sells for $30 USD and the Sensei lens cap which sells for $4 USD, I would go with the latter.

The Leica lens cap gets a four star rating while the Sensei lens cap gets a five star rating. Leica should be ashamed of themselves for that one.

Sensei 46mm Clip-On Lens Cap LCC-46 B&H Photo Video

@bybrett - thanks for posting that photo of the Safari - it is truly a thing of beauty. Your photo and this thread have caused me to commence to plotting how I might acquire the Safari set. The expenditure would be totally justified, as I do not own a 35 'cron (an abomination, I know) and I do need a back-up camera for my M240... :D

At the end of the day its only money and we are a long time dead!
More true words have seldom been key-stroked in these parts (lens caps notwithstanding). Edited by Carlos Danger
  • Like 1

Thank you. I've seen your photos but would love to see some more from you. :-) Maybe some photos where the camera is outdoors.

Bundestrainer....as you asked....some photos of the Safari taken outdoors in natural light.......

http://www3.picturepush.com/photo/a/14585201/1024/Anonymous/DSC00381.jpg

http://www5.picturepush.com/photo/a/14585203/1024/Anonymous/DSC00377.jpg

http://www2.picturepush.com/photo/a/14585215/1024/Anonymous/DSC00379.jpg

http://www3.picturepush.com/photo/a/14585206/1024/Anonymous/DSC00374.jpg

Edited by Wetzlar57
  • Like 5