Leica 28mm Summilux Asph shots

jonoslack

Advertisement (gone after registration)

Here are the Chad ones from last month. Processing might not be to everyone's taste. I try to make them look like tri-x which was my main medium until four years ago.

https://www.flickr.com/photos/8301862@N05/albums/72157663548936975

Found I used the 28 Summilux a lot more. Incredible lens

"Incredible lens" .... indeed, but also incredible images too :)

Wonderful work SeanJ

Kind regards,  Simon

• Like 1

• Replies 72
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Thank you for your nice comments guys. Before I had a 28 Summicron and a 35 Summilux ASPH (the older one) and traded these in for the 28 Summilux. I find it is easier to work with less lenses (now work exclusively with 21, 28 and 75 with two bodies, a great combo for me). 35 and 28 are quite close and prefer the 28 perspective.

The real difference is when shooting wide open, which I do a lot, and I love the look of the 28 summilux wide open. However, with the processing I do and with black and white being my primary medium, at other apertures there isn't a huge difference from using the summicron.

The bokeh is where it is at with the 28 summilux. It is really special and I think has a similar feel to my 75 summilux. I found the 35 summilux wide open very nice but the 28 is really something else. Sorry, I am not a great linguis - hopefully you understand what I meant!

If I had to work with just one lens it would be the 28 summilux for sure.

I have never tried the 28 Elmarit so can't really comment on that.

Edited by SeanJ
  • Like 4

Greetings:

Having started to move myself back into photography seriously, I thought I should join the conversation, having listened and learned up until now, for which education I thank you.

I picked up the 28Lux in November, and include here four images from the Christmas Eve Farolito Walk on Canyon Road in Santa Fe, New Mexico (remembering, as the bumper stickers point out, that it ain't new, and it ain't Mexico).

Remarkably, the lens just keeps gathering light, even when the M240 rolls its eyes and the light meter throws in the towel, certain that there are no photons remaining to be gathered....

Welcome, dear visitor! As registered member you'd see an image here…

Simply register for free here – We are always happy to welcome new members!

As you can see from the light in the sky, this is just after sunset: no problems exposing here.

Well past dark, but under a street lamp.

The light meter had given up hope by this time: this is a grab shot, he & I both in motion.

In one of several images shot here, stars are in evidence in the sky... the full moon has just come up, and is backlighting clouds. The schmear is, apparently, a fingerprint that I failed to identify prior to shooting. Lesson learned.

In short, this is one beautiful chunk of glass+brass. The only issue I'm having with it is the ease with which the aperture ring turns: it's as though the detents are shallower than in, say, my 28Elmarit, which turns readily, but doesn't turn on its own, as the 28Lux seems inclined. I shot with the 28Elmarit for 15 years, holding off on the 28Cron as not offering enough of an advantage, but surprised that the 28Lux was at the bottom of the LuxList (the updated 35 I could understand, but the 24 & 21?).

If you're interested in the Sonnetar, I have also put up an image on one of those threads: if the background isn't contrasty, the bokeh is quite lovely....

Q

Greetings:

The light meter had given up hope by this time: this is a grab shot, he & I both in motion.

In short, this is one beautiful chunk of glass+brass. The only issue I'm having with it is the ease with which the aperture ring turns: it's as though the detents are shallower than in, say, my 28Elmarit, which turns readily, but doesn't turn on its own, as the 28Lux seems inclined. I shot with the 28Elmarit for 15 years, holding off on the 28Cron as not offering enough of an advantage, but surprised that the 28Lux was at the bottom of the LuxList (the updated 35 I could understand, but the 24 & 21?).

If you're interested in the Sonnetar, I have also put up an image on one of those threads: if the background isn't contrasty, the bokeh is quite lovely....

Q

Great image … atmospheric 

dunk

• Like 1

Advertisement (gone after registration)

I made a little documentary about a wet collodion photographer using just this lens. Have a look if you are still interested in how this lens performs.

Mark

http://www.colorsandgrays.com/#+/a-20-min-documentary-meeting-wet-collodion-photographer-chris-honeysett/

• Like 4

• 1 year later...

I'm really starting to like this glass the more I use it.  M9P, post in Silver Efex Pro.

• Like 3

• 4 years later...

Was wondering are there no one else who uses this fantastic 28 Lux?

• Like 2

All taken with M9-P.

• Like 3

28 Summilux - Minolta CLE - Portra 800

• Like 4

28 Summilux - Minolta CLE - Portra 800

• Like 3