Leica 28mm Summilux Asph shots

jonoslack

• Replies 72
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Jono, thanks for the very nice images! Although the poultry bums have intrigued some on the forum, :rolleyes:, I found the shot of Matty more telling for me in regards to the character of your 28 SX. Matty was in the softer lighting (and setting) that one would expect to shoot at f/1.4, whereas the foul was in some mighty sharp circumstances. I see softness around Matty's face... or is that shutter speed? I wonder how contrasty the 28 SX is?

I hope you have the opportunity (perhaps supported by Leica) to develop this thread further with comparisons across equally well-adjusted lenses. Like many of the shooters posting here, I have struggled back and forth across 24 SX and 28 SM that I could be pleased shooting wide open. I have tried three 24 SX, and each of them seemed a dud in comparison to what you usually read (and my pleasure with the 24 Elmarit ASPH). Likewise, I have shot two 28 SM with mixed results, over many years and bodies, that parallel your comments far up the thread... but I just purchased a silver one that is a real gem. So there must be examples of the 24 SX and 28 SM that are excellent after adjustment by Leica... it would be delightful to see your work across two of those and the factory perfecto 28 SX you are shooting now!;)

Of course, I would keep watching Jeremy Clarkson too, if that chance came up.

What a good post - I'm not sure I'm up to answering nearly as well.

First of all I'll say that I had 2 x 24 Elmarit Asphs and didn't like either of them . . . but my 28 elmarit is lovely . . whereas I was never very happy with my 28 'cron. So we can speak sample variation - or perhaps I'm just a Karbe man? I think the 28 'lux is in the spirit of the 35 FLE, and the 21 and 24 'lux: full of character, contrast and precision!

• Like 2

HI There

We're in Cornwall

Welcome, dear visitor! As registered member you'd see an image here…

Simply register for free here – We are always happy to welcome new members!

The sitting room at Brane End Farm

Botallack Mine

Looking towards the Longships

Levant Mine with Pendeen Light

Geevor Mine

• Like 6

Three more from around Botallack

Welcome, dear visitor! As registered member you'd see an image here…

Simply register for free here – We are always happy to welcome new members!

• Like 17

Advertisement (gone after registration)

Jono,

Seeing as you've had the f2 and f1.4 which is your favorite ergonomically? May consider the f2.8 or f2 version if I end up getting an m6 eventually.

My only Summilux lens was a 50 1.4, I found the focus pull too far and preferred the Summicron, so I returned it.

The photo of the sitting room seems to be strongly affected by chromatic aberration (see purple fringes on the chair and other objects).

Can you please verify if the cause is the lens, or incorrect CA corrections have been applied in post ?

HI There

I don't think it's either really - I boosted the shadows a lot (you can imagine the difference in light between the room and the outside). Added to which I think the extreme compression has made it worse.I've checked the original, and it's much better. I've not done any corrections.

However, like all the fast wide primes the 28 'lux is slightly subject to CA - less than the 24 and more than the 35 I'd say (as you'd expect).

Certainly it's not something which has bothered me so far.

• Like 1

Jono,

Seeing as you've had the f2 and f1.4 which is your favorite ergonomically? May consider the f2.8 or f2 version if I end up getting an m6 eventually.

My only Summilux lens was a 50 1.4, I found the focus pull too far and preferred the Summicron, so I returned it.

Hi There Jeremiah

I've actually got the f2.8 as well. Apart from the specially designed 'fall off' lens hood (like the 35 'cron) I reckon the 28 f2.8 is lovely - it's so small and so very very sharp. I did have an f2, but although I can understand it's attraction, I do prefer the f1.4

• Like 1

• 1 month later...
  • 6 months later...

Beautiful shots Jono.

I put together some 28mm Summilux photos I captured here in the Bahamas during the nighttime Junkanoo parade in Nassau. Lighting conditions were tough with lots of movement. I was happy to have that extra stop. Enjoy!

Full set of images here: https://leicalized.exposure.co/junkanoo

lxJZ3me.jpg?1

• Like 4

Beautiful shots Jono.

I put together some 28mm Summilux photos I captured here in the Bahamas during the nighttime Junkanoo parade in Nassau. Lighting conditions were tough with lots of movement. I was happy to have that extra stop. Enjoy!

Full set of images here: https://leicalized.exposure.co/junkanoo

lxJZ3me.jpg?1

I followed your link. Very nice shots. As regards flare resistance, I must say this lens is unbelievable.

• Like 1

Jono,

I really admire your photography. I must admit, when I see pictures like you have taken with this lens, I think, "What a wonderful lens. I must seriously consider getting one." Then, some tiny, sane part of my mind reminds me that Jono's photos, no matter what gear he is using, always look wonderful to me. That makes me admire your artistry as a photographer even more and also tells me that, as much as I might like the new gear, I have a wonderful camera/lens already and need to focus on the learning more as a photographer.

I also play the cello, as an amateur. I know that if, hypothetically, I was playing duets with Yo Yo Ma, and we switched cellos halfway through, with me playing on his multi million dollar Stradivarius and him playing on my cello, he would still sound amazing, and I'd still sound like me.

Cheers!

Tom

• Like 1

Hi There Jeremiah

I've actually got the f2.8 as well. Apart from the specially designed 'fall off' lens hood (like the 35 'cron) I reckon the 28 f2.8 is lovely - it's so small and so very very sharp. I did have an f2, but although I can understand it's attraction, I do prefer the f1.4

Jono

i have to agree. I know this thread is about the 28 'lux, but having sold my (second) 28 Elmarit Asph for a 28 Summicron while back, I find  that I prefer the little Elmarit. I cannot warm to the Summicron.

And thanks for sharing your 'Lux shots with us.

Regards

Here are some recent photos from Iraq that I have just put up on flikr. Not all 28 Summilux, some are 21 Elmarit and 75 Summilux.

https://www.flickr.com/photos/8301862@N05/albums/72157663361144702

Will post some from my most recent trip in Chad shortly. Used the 28 Summilux more there. The lens is growing on me!

Edited by SeanJ
  • Like 2