Sign in to follow this  
piblondin

Hide Exposure Compensation from Viewfinder Display?

Advertisement (gone after registration)

I like to have a -1/3 exposure compensation dialed in at all times. I find that it now displays "-0.3" in the viewfinder before it will show the shutter speed when in aperture priority or showing the metering arrows when in manual exposure mode. I absolutely hate this. I want to immediately see the meter reading, not my exposure compensation setting. How do I make it so that it doesn't display the exposure compensation in the viewfinder?

Thanks!

Not 100% sure, as I never use a fixed exposure compensation, but yes, it has been so from the beginning.

Looking at it objectively it is not illogical. When one takes an image knowing how much exposure has shifted has priority, the exact exposure parameters are being set by the camera anyway. Personally I rather like it, it warns me I have accidentally set the compensation. The miniscule dot is all too easily overlooked.

That's unfortunate. When I'm out on the streets, I want to bring the camera to my eye, check that the exposure is reasonable, focus, and shoot as quickly as possible--within a second. This display slows me down compared to other M cameras I'm used to using.

Why not switch off the compensation and do it in post if any is necessary?

A third of a stop isn't exactly a big change anyway...

Much easier and you wouldn't have the distraction...

Advertisement (gone after registration)

That's unfortunate. When I'm out on the streets, I want to bring the camera to my eye, check that the exposure is reasonable, focus, and shoot as quickly as possible--within a second. This display slows me down compared to other M cameras I'm used to using.
Why don't you turn it into an M6 ?- just go manual, the triangles will tell you all....

Why don't you turn it into an M6 ?- just go manual, the triangles will tell you all....

I switch pretty frequently between A and manual shutter speed control. :-/

I switch pretty frequently between A and manual shutter speed control. :-/

Why would you leave something as important as shutter up to the camera?

Manual mode with AutoISO works best.

Ha--why would you leave ISO up to the camera? It's a matter of speed and convenience. I would be leaving the shutter speed up to the camera as long as I trust the meter reading, regardless of whether it's on A or manual. My point is that if it's on A, I want to be able to immediately judge whether the camera's chosen shutter speed is within the ballpark of what I expect, particularly, when there is high contract mixed lighting conditions--immediately when I put the camera up to my eye. Because I want a constant -1/3 exposure compensation at all times, I cannot do this because the viewfinder displays "-0.3" instead of the shutter speed.

There's no way to adjust exposure in 1/3 stops in manual mode.

Also, this same problem happens in manual mode. If I put the camera up to my eye and press the shutter release halfway to activate the meter reading, I see the exposure compensation value.

Attached is an image of the behavior that's killing me. I want to know the meter reading, not the exposure compensation!

Like I said before... Why not do the -0.3 compensation in post?

You would get what you want and could even import with it set as a preset.

Still don't know why you do it at all... 0.3 isn't much... Could you explain why you apply it to everything. Is it part of a signature look?

If so, then doing it during import rather than in camera would get you what you want without the disadvantage you point out.

In manual mode you do not need exposure compensation. Just switch it off and adjust by hand You can adjust exposure in all amounts using the aperture ring...

Come to think of it, it is weird that the camera compensates in 1/3 rd stops. Both the aperture ring and speed dial click in half-stops. Maybe Leica meant the feature to be used with Zeiss lenses only

Seriously, if you are shooting hand-held and fast, I defy you to expose within 0.3. You'd be lucky to get within one stop accuracy.

Edited by jaapv

Come to think of it, it is weird that the camera compensates in 1/3 rd stops. Both the aperture ring and speed dial click in half-stops. Maybe Leica meant the feature to be used with Zeiss lenses only

Yes, to reinforce the point, bracketing works in 1/2 stop increments not 1/3.

But also agree there no point in using EC when you are in Manual.