Sign in to follow this  
US00678

11-23 and internal flash

Even if it is not its "core business" I tried to use the internal flash with the 11-23 lens.

Well also without the hood mounted there is a consistent area of the picture where the flash light is shadowed by the lens both at 23 (when the lens is shorter) and at 11 position.

The situation is even worse when the hood is attached.

I fear there is no fix for such an issue rather than the SF26 or any other external flash.

Does anybody observed the same behavior? Any idea to fix it?

Unfortunately, your only choice is to buy an external flash. Having the internal flash blocked by a lens is a rather common thing for this type of camera and basically a matter of physics. For compact cameras, companies can pick or design a matching flash that isn't blocked by the (one) built-in lens. For any camera with changeable lenses this is a matter of compromise and most companies would usually only make sure the standard zoom is ok.

The Leica T flash extends about a couple of cm. It's not the worst I have seen and I cannot imagine a solution where the Leica T flash would extend even further (still needs to fit inside the body after all).

Instead of the SF26 you might want to look into some Metz flashes with built in optical triggers that can be triggered using the Leica T flash. You can mount the Metz on a rail or hold it in one hand.

The SF26 has an optical sensor, so it can also be triggered by the internal flash. Works very well, although no TTL and the manual settings are limited to full, half and a quarter strength.