Replacement cap 50mm Summicron v5

Dan Berke

Advertisement (gone after registration)

Dear All,

I have purchased a 50mm v5 summicron (the one with the retractable hood) - this is my first summicron and I simply love the results I am getting. I have put on a uv filter and find that the supplied cap does not stay on - is there a more robust metal one which will fit over the lens barrel?

The e39 cap from my summaron 35mm does not fit,

Please don't post Ken Rockwell type comments that hoods are for wimps and filters ruin quality etc. I like some protection on this ridiculously expensive equipment.

Thanks

• Like 1

Look for Heavystar. Bag of ten is ten dollars US. The 39 mm will fit your filter with the hood retracted. They are plastic with sping loaded clips to keep them in place.

• Like 1

is there a more robust metal one which will fit over the lens barrel?

Over the lens barrel and the built in hood here. The 14398 metal cap for 50/2 apo springs to mind but i don't have it with me here and i'm not sure if the aperture ring of the 50/2 v5 is not too high for a good fit. The 14398 it is a bit more expensive than a hundred Heavystars though... ;)

Welcome, dear visitor! As registered member you'd see an image here…

Simply register for free here – We are always happy to welcome new members!

• Like 1

Just checked that the 14398 lens cap above looks very nice on the 50/2 non apo (with or w/o filter) but it is too loose by a fraction of millimeter. Sticking another strip of velvet or foam on its inner circumference would probably solve the issue.

• 2 years later...