battery charge on M8

peterjcb

Advertisement (gone after registration)

I own 3 M8 batteries and it seems that none of them hold a charge very well. The battery meter will read full for a while then as soon as it starts dropping it almost always runs out of battery soon after that...:(

I believe that I have the original Leica battery that came with the camera plus 2 imported knock-offs that I purchased on Ebay. What gives with the battery life on the M8?

It is not specific for the M8 and depends a lot on the way they have been used, but I would say anything you get out of a Li-Ion battery over five years is a bonus.

For the third party batteries that shrinks to anything you get out of them after half a year in my experience.

How much do you CHIMP? The usage of the display is the main power drain.

Set your camera to not show the picture preview after exposure and use the play button once every 5-6 shots.

That should get you over a hundred exposures easily with a used battery in reasonable shape, and 200-300 with a new Leica battery.

It's also worth noting that some 3rd party batteries don't show a meaningful charge state on the M8. I use mine till they stop and overall the number of shots is not much different from the Leica original.

The battery like to be fully charged. I recharge after every use and one per month if no use.

It is my first of the month list. twice per year discharge to 5% level Do not kill it.

I have 5 year old Nikon ones that are as new.

My M8 is 3 years old to me and battery is fine. Original ??

I own 3 M8 batteries and it seems that none of them hold a charge very well. The battery meter will read full for a while then as soon as it starts dropping it almost always runs out of battery soon after that...:(

I believe that I have the original Leica battery that came with the camera plus 2 imported knock-offs that I purchased on Ebay. What gives with the battery life on the M8?

The cheapos are cheap. They will reset to show full charge, if they are run down fully in camera, and then fully charged and put back in camera soon after.

I have an original manufacturers battery that is still going well (nearly nine years; wow!). But purchased two new Leica batteries...with Russian writing...can someone explain why? They are evidently the correct Leica manufacturers modern battery for my two M8's. I chimp and zoom a lot, scrutinising the LCD, as I test lenses...the battery life is good., and fairly quick charging.

I like paying for the better Leica battery. A lot of electronics depend on a stable power supply...particularly when doing a sensor clean or long exposures.

Dave S

Edited by david strachan

According to the « FAQ LEICA M8 & LEICA M8.2 - Status September 2008 » leaflet, third party batteries are « not equipped with the charging circuitry dedicated to the camera electronics, therefore malfunctions may occur, such as a false indication of the remaining capacity, or the camera may switch itself off suddenly and unexpectedly. ».

In practice, i mainly use third party batteries myself (DTSE, Oege, unnamed ones found on e**y) as i don't like to be ripped-off but they all need to be fully discharged in the camera to work properly.

I found that the non Leica batteries were fine for around 6 - 10 charge/discharge cycles then they refused to take charge in either the Leica charger or my Delkin charger.

It was the cost of genuine Leica batteries, spending £190 on a couple of batteries for an ageing camera that led to me selling my M8.

If I'd known RG Lewis were doing them for £50 I might have reconsidered!

I found that the non Leica batteries were fine for around 6 - 10 charge/discharge cycles then they refused to take charge in either the Leica charger or my Delkin charger.

It was the cost of genuine Leica batteries, spending £190 on a couple of batteries for an ageing camera that led to me selling my M8.

If I'd known RG Lewis were doing them for £50 I might have reconsidered!

You sold your M8 because you couldn't afford the genuine battery? Or was it more your perception of an aging camera problem??

Dave S

I have had mine for a few years. No issues (other than the battery-level indicator).

Does anyone know why the genuine Leica batteries have Russian (Cryllic) writing on them? Are they produced in Russia?

Dave S

They are made in Indonesia, packed in Korea (or the other way around, possibly) and sold with Russian writing on them. Yes, they are genuine and expensive.;)
  • Like 1

You sold your M8 because you couldn't afford the genuine battery? Or was it more your perception of an aging camera problem??

Dave S

Ageing camera, I can afford the batteries. The M8 was getting on a bit and this seemed a good time for it to go whilst it still has some value.

• Like 1