E-bay has gone nuts on M8 gear

Guest guy_mancuso

Advertisement (gone after registration)

I've found this spot, though I don't know how reputable they are. They have a few Luxes.

http://www.tamarkin.com/catalog/products/leica/leicamlens.html

Out of curiosity, they have these two listed:

50 Summicron-M f2 #388xxxx, Ex++ $999

50 Summilux f1,4 Black #257xxxx, UV, Ex $999

I visited them when I was in NYC. Quite helpful. Their phone rang four or five times while I was there (about half an hour) with inquiries--one about a Noctilux. They are a small operation but Leica-dedicated. (With Zeiss inventory, also.) They told me their Web site is generally a few days out of date behind what they have in stock. E.g., always call with inquiries. Also, they were kind enough to mount a variety of lenses on my M8 so I could try them out in-store. I was really considering a used chrome 90 BUT just couldn't get it to focus consistently--my fault, not the lens. They encouraged me to try the 21. I did. The field of view was excellent but I'm still working off camera cost so. . . . :) (It was also larger than I expected. Not huge. Just large. I have the 35 and 50 'crons in chrome.) The salesperson fretted quite a bit that used Leica stuff was getting incredibly hard to come by and he apologized for having very little used stock available. Anyway, that was my impression of them. I'd buy from them. Thanks, Will. P.S. I will say that they have what appeared to be a great selection of Leica camera bodies, new and old. They were gorgeous lined up in the glass case in rows. :)

• Replies 62
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

This lack of supply is frustrating. While Leica may be happy about selling every lens that comes off the line, they need to figure out a way to ramp up and meet demand or people will eventually start to look for alternatives. I have a trip to China in less than 4 weeks. If I don't get the 28mm cron and 50mm lux by then, I'll forced to get the Zeiss/CV equivalent. And if I'm happy with the pics, I may just completely forgo the Leica lenses (and get myself some new computer equipment/software with the savings!). I can't be the only one in this situation.

This lack of supply is frustrating. While Leica may be happy about selling every lens that comes off the line, they need to figure out a way to ramp up and meet demand or people will eventually start to look for alternatives. I have a trip to China in less than 4 weeks. If I don't get the 28mm cron and 50mm lux by then, I'll forced to get the Zeiss/CV equivalent. And if I'm happy with the pics, I may just completely forgo the Leica lenses (and get myself some new computer equipment/software with the savings!). I can't be the only one in this situation.

It's very frustrating for me too. I received my first Leica, a M6 TTL, on Tuesday and still have to get a lens for it. I've been searching for a newer used 50mm cron and haven't found anything in my pricerange. I dunno wtf to do.

Thanks for looking out Carsten. I checked out the link. Most of those lenses are older gen. Summicrons. I'll keep checking it though. Right now I'm in the $700-900 range, When I first started looking on ebay I capped myself off at $700 which was a mistake because a handfull of nice/late lenses were going for just a few dollars more. Now that I've been looking for a while I'm seeing people getting frantic to pickup a lens.

Advertisement (gone after registration)

You are absolutely right. I am also subscribed to a French leica user site http://www.summilux.net and they have a Selling / buying section. I bought a Summicron 35 year 2003, perfect condition for 1000 Euros.

The thing is that when purshasing from other members you have read for month you feel more confident, less cold.

It would surely be of great value to this forum to have a For Sale section.

Eric

Guest guy_mancuso

I wish i had the money right now John , i would be all over it. Still trying to sell my Viso and some filters to pay for the 12mm. My wife put the handcuffs on, can't pull anything from the bank. LOL

The Hawk is watching. LOL

Just as well, Guy, you really don't need that 24, right? :) You just want it, *in case*. Between the 21 and 28 (28 and 37 equivalent), there really isn't much of a gap, and a couple of steps forwards or backwards would fix that. Buy your wife a nice pair of shoes, she let's you get so much before she complains.

Guest guy_mancuso

It is a just in case lens , no question and really is not totally needed , i do agree there. Actually what i would like to try just for some different character stuff is a really old lens in a wide focal length. obviously my collection is all the new stuff and it is truly wonderfull but maybe some old piece of junk lens. i do have a Russian 50mm lens that I bought for 15 dollars on e-bay. Was thinking of doing a pass it around lens for folks to play with for a week than send to someone else and play with it. Be kind of fun.

Carsten you know me too well we should really be looking at stuff older than ourselves just for the hell of it. i would have to get before 1956

Hehe, that is also where my interest lies now. I have already bought the Dual-Range Summicron 50mm for my M6, since it is meant to be a classic, but I can't use it on the M8. The second part of the rangefinder cam bumps against the inside of the M8, so I can attach it set to the near focusing limit, and that's all.

I have been looking at some old collapsible 50mm Summars and Summitars. Neat lenses. I want to buy some old Leitz lens and play with the look for old-style portraits. That is good, cheap, clean fun which doesn't upset wives and girlfriends :)

Guy,

Have you blown through your Paypal account balance? That is my mad money account that I use for just in case purchases. No, the wife does not read this forum. As long as she can shop when she wants, not a problem.

Guest guy_mancuso

yea that is the hidden account and it's almost empty. LOL

may have a surprise for folks here in the next several days , could be a nice solution. :)