E-bay has gone nuts on M8 gear

Guest guy_mancuso

Advertisement (gone after registration)

Seems like there's about 6 weeks to go to make use of those discount lens vouchers - I used both of mine - and if you ever think you are going to buy one of their current lenses, now is the time to do it, given the strengthening secondhand prices and the weakening dollar.

Hong Kong used to be a good place to buy at roughly the same price as the 30% discount (depending also on shipping and importing costs) but that supply seems to have pretty much dried up now, along with the rest of the world.

With Leica likely being taken private, we'll get less visibility of their business numbers but they were still an AG at the end of their last business year, so we should see results for the year to the end of March eventually. The M8 and lens drag-along business - which must exceed their wildest expectations - should have significantly boosted revenue but comments from Andreas Kaufmann in the NBC link suggested it had not been enough to return them yet to profit.

If the M8 and lenses can't do it, what will it take?

• Replies 62
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

.....I have the Nocti coming someday from Leica as I am sure a few hundred others do as well. Yes I intend to sell it for a profit, it will fund the other half of the 35 lux.....

I hope the other few hundred don't decide to sell at the same time LOL, there could very well be a Noctilux glut on ebay.:)

Interestingly, most prices on ebay for the nocti seem to have risen by 25% from €2000 to €2500 over the past few months I've been watching. The online dealers selling through ebay seem to be the ones who seem to ask outrageous prices circa €3500 but these seem not to sell, no surprise!.

I noticed the same online dealers seem to increase the prices by €100 per month on other M lenses. There is value to be had elsewhere and I've seen a few but in the back of my mind I keep saying 'if it's to good to be true it's possibly not true".

A section here would be most welcome, deals amongst (known) friends are far less stressful than walking the gauntlet of fraud on the wider internet.

I agree with the concept of having a buy and sell section as part of this forum (or sub-forum etc). Just brousing the posts shows how much interest there is in aquiring/de-aquiring Leica equipment. As already pointed out I think we all would prefer to have equipment go to and come from fellow enthusiasts and members.

Bill it is just like e-bay in a sense although it would be better here becuase you really get to know folks and also use the paypal system, I use it all the time and it works pretty darn well overall. You could even have a buy sell rating on a member in the software here . Cetainly to me if i am going to pay top dollar , i rather see a member get my money.

I agree with the idea of a buy sell on a separate subforum here. Having dealt with some forum members (one purchase, one sale) I have a good deal of confidence that would be a potential issue on EBay. As an example, I sent off my 12mm to John Milich so he could try to figure out a filter adapter. No questions asked, no hesitancy and no issues about simply sending off the lens. I( would be willing pay more for something from someone here because there is a much higher likelihood that it was well taken care of and/or accurately described.

Guest guy_mancuso

I sent John my WATE.

Now if i can just find the guy. LOL Just Kidding. he did a awesome job with the hood adapter and my lens was back in my hands as promised. But being a forum member you kind of expect that kind of trust with someone that partcipates and is here being involved.

Yes, eBay has gone a little crazy as regards Leica. I've been scouting a couple Leica prime lenses, much to my dismay, and seen pieces being sold by folks with no feedback at prices close to or above those realized by trusted dealers i.e. adorama, kurland, etc.

Still, the wonderful thing about eBay is the transparency and efficiency it brings to pricing.

The whole M8 phenomenon and the effect on lens prices is a wonderful lesson in supply and demand. Also note how many sales and inquiries come from countries that until recently might have been described as emerging economies.

I think it's all a very positive thing.

Well, I am glad I bought most of my lenses last year before the M8 hit the market. Similarly, I was glad that I bought my antiquarian books before the dealers discovered the intrernet. Such is progress.

The good news is that Mainland Chinese camera buffs adore original Leica equipment. This accounts for the price increases in HK. Watch what happens as they suck up the used market.

Guest guy_mancuso

Well i finally won a 12mm CV lens. It was below retail but the finder comes with it and I saved a few dollars but i put my Viso up there since i really don't need it and need the 12mm more plus my wife finds out i bought another lens without selling something, she may just string me up . i have bought WAY to many lenses this year. LOL

Guest guy_mancuso

Yes now that it coming soon , i will want to see what options we have to look at here. You know me I'm lazy i don't want to switch off the ON IR/UV everytime . LOL

I have noticed this too. I've been huning for a 50mm lux for three weeks and haven't even seen one listed. I was also wondering about the Hong Kong store. Are they legit?

Here is one. I don't know if it is still available but it looks good.

http://www.rangefinderforum.com/photopost-classifieds/showproduct.php?product=4789&cat=2

Yes now that it coming soon , i will want to see what options we have to look at here. You know me I'm lazy i don't want to switch off the ON IR/UV everytime . LOL

Hi Guy - I quite agree - switching it on and off is certainly a recipe for disaster:p

I don't have to explain myself do I?:)

What's up with the 50mm lux that'd listed on rangefinder forum? Is it Asp.?

Old style? I have heard the 50mm lux is hands down the best lens leica has ever produced.

HI Tim

Not Asph - it's a limited edition version with special 'easy scratch' paint - there are a few around, and some have been made in the last 18months or so. But it's not the latest Asph version.

I've been watching eBay for a few weeks for a 50mm Summicron. By the time the bidding wars are over you're on your way to getting a used lens near the price of a new one. There are a number of places that sell used lenses though. I've found this spot, though I don't know how reputable they are. They have a few Luxes.

http://www.tamarkin.com/catalog/products/leica/leicamlens.html

Out of curiosity, they have these two listed:

50 Summicron-M f2 #388xxxx, Ex++ $999

50 Summilux f1,4 Black #257xxxx, UV, Ex $999

both are at the same price. Is the Cron that good where it'd be priced the same as the 1.4? Taking into consideration the Cron is rated Ex++ and the Lux is just Ex...