E-bay has gone nuts on M8 gear

Guest guy_mancuso

Guest guy_mancuso

Advertisement (gone after registration)

okay when Visoflex III are going for close to 500 dollars i start shaking my head. Who said the M8 will fall flat on it's face . I sure hope that crow has a great taste because anything related to a M8 is out of sight with price. Holy smokes a used CV 12mm for 595.00 . Hello you can buy the bloody thing new. Not even going to get into the Leica lenses on e-bay. Hell i am starting to feel pretty damn good about buying glass before the M8 even came out. i just thought i would share my astonishment. Forget buying used now, were is the nearest leica drug dealer. LOL

The 30 percent coupons are like finding diamonds in a dirt field. Don't waste them folks.

Hate to say it but since the forum is under a different leadership and is funded by ads. I think for the sake of keeping things in the family a Buy and sell would be a great idea and you have to be a member to buy and sell . Plus i vote for a 5 dollar classified ad fee to keep this place running. You have my vote

I just opened Pandora's box and the can of worms is sitting next to it. LOL

• Replies 62
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Guy ,

You are damned good in telling the truth ... I am too a happy one, and end this week I like to seld some older goods ... so it comes easier for me to buy newer lenses for my M8 , like the cron 75mm asph :)

Hi

Last week I got a 75 summilux for 1800 on ebay it was a buy it now. I wanted a wate next but I have a feeling this lens will be harder and harder to get now that it is discontinued Two months ago I got a zeiss 25 for 550 I sold in a trade for a grand, again buy it now . Deals are out there but harder to find.

Guest guy_mancuso

I'm bidding on a CV 12mm and it is 545 and a new one is 595. Not worth the 50 dollar difference. It really is getting tough to find a good deal the Viso stuff is flat out crazy. I needed a right angle finder and went as far as trying to buy a whole unit but not at 485.00.

So, we need to strategize our arbitrage plans. If the lens that has become the most expensive is the 'Nocti, maybe I need to buy one of those and resell it.

I don't really want to do a WATE (it's already discontinued????) because I know ( ;) ) that Leica is really listening to me and will bring out a fast, wide prime lens!

Any thots, anybody?

And -- not the least important thought -- this is TERRIFIC. It appears the M8 has saved our favorite camera company!

You're quite right Guy - it's the same in the UK. I've bought a few secondhand lenses, i rather felt that if I didn't need them I could get them coded and sell for a profit - I'm sure that I'm right, but I don't see many new opportunities.

I got a 35 f2 'cron Asph for £685 last week . . . . what's that $1400, and I think that was probably a deal, but they're few and far between.

My guess is that it can only get worse, there were lots of nay-sayers with respect to the M8, but I haven't seen many people who've bought one getting rid of them again.

Guest guy_mancuso

Shphoto is legit . Boris is co -owner it looks like with Photo arsenal out of Japan. Looks like these guys have hooked up on the used side. Anyway i have bought many things from SHphoto without any issues. Even bought one DMR / R9 package from him

Shphoto is legit . Boris is co -owner it looks like with Photo arsenal out of Japan. Looks like these guys have hooked up on the used side. Anyway i have bought many things from SHphoto without any issues. Even bought one DMR / R9 package from him

Arsenel have very nice stuff but you will pay top dollar (meaning full market prices). Prices have been rising on eBay for M gear and on for something like a 50/1.4 ASPH you might as well buy new or used from a reputable dealer. It's like Canon gear on eBay. I am mistifyed as to why anyone would pay a few bucks below the new price at B+H for a used L lens on eBay. There are still bargains to be had on less popular lenses, a 135 Apo-Telyt M just sold for $778.99. You need patience and time though, if you need it in a hurry, forget eBay buy from a reputable dealer. I won't buy on eBay unless I'm getting it a good bit below dealer prices and you may have to go through half a dozen auctions before you get your price. However on the most in demand Leica stuff forget it, no deals on eBay for that stuff anymore.

Guest guy_mancuso

Hank wrote

a 135 Apo-Telyt M just sold for $778.99. You need patience and time though

Hang can you come over and take the dagger out of my heart. That just about killed me that price, that was a screamer deal. Not even going to mention what i paid. Ouch

The best thing we can hope for is folks do not know a thing about the M8 and it sat in there closet for 8 years and just want to get rid of it. Okay the chance of that is like buying a used car from a old lady in Pasadena for dirt cheap, not happening anytime too soon. LOL

Hank wrote

a 135 Apo-Telyt M just sold for $778.99. You need patience and time though

Hang can you come over and take the dagger out of my heart. That just about killed me that price, that was a screamer deal. Not even going to mention what i paid. Ouch

The best thing we can hope for is folks do not know a thing about the M8 and it sat in there closet for 8 years and just want to get rid of it. Okay the chance of that is like buying a used car from a old lady in Pasadena for dirt cheap, not happening anytime too soon. LOL

I didn't bid (and I was regretting it when I saw the final price) but I am sure when I decide to drop the hammer it will be the month after every last decent used apo-telyt has finally been sold. Actually twice that price would be a steal. You either have to be really really lucky or be willing to wait a year watching and bidding on lots of auctions to get deals like that.

The new prices have gone up significantly since Christmas and are going up again this summer. Most dealers have little or no stock..so new sometimes isn t even an option. Used buys can still be had ..but not thru bidding wars on eBay. Last week I obtained a 28 2.0 summicron by going directly to the seller..paid $1800 ..its $3195 form BH . Its perfect. So with another $200 invested I will have a 6 bit Leica guaranteed lens for $2000. Had good luck selling on rangefinderforum and photonet ..take $100 off and it will sell in less than a day. The voightlander lens are impossible ..because they are so inexpensive...some have sold for more than list on eBay. It would be great if this forum started a buy sell with a small fee .

As someone else mentioned - it sort of boggles the mind to see people bid a used lens up within a couple dollars of the new price. Are people just getting caugh up in the excitement of bidding? Do they not actually research this stuff ahead of time? Or are they just sort of nuts?

I am waiting for my 35 cron asph to come back from a free coding in NJ. My plan was to sell it to fund the purchase of the lux version. I missed an opportunity to buy the lux from Tony Rose because I was on vacation. Bad timing I guess. I have the Nocti coming someday from Leica as I am sure a few hundred others do as well. Yes I intend to sell it for a profit, it will fund the other half of the 35 lux. I think it would be great to have a place for buying and selling other than just receiving a private message. The problem is how do you really know who you are dealing with outside of the regular posters here. I guess you could get the money first through paypal before shipping or something like that.

Guest guy_mancuso

Bill it is just like e-bay in a sense although it would be better here becuase you really get to know folks and also use the paypal system, I use it all the time and it works pretty darn well overall. You could even have a buy sell rating on a member in the software here . Cetainly to me if i am going to pay top dollar , i rather see a member get my money.