Faulty exposure meter on MP

Advertisement (gone after registration)

Hi guys!

I'm new to this community and I've been a passive member untill now, and I need your help.

I've recently upgraded from a Leica M6 to a mint condition second hand Leica MP chrome, and I'm in love! The build quality is just perfection. However I started to get anxious when I got my latest roll back from the lab, and it was very underexposed. I blamed the lab, because the roll should be pushed +2.

Yesterday I was shooting outside and then I realized the exposure meter was giving me some weird readings. When I got back home I double checked with my M6 and Lumu light meter, both of them suggested times that were 1.5 stops under the MP. For example I got the same reading when I changed my ISO on the MP from 400 to 150.

I started to investigate and then I thought, maybe the batteries are out. Now it gets really interesting. I bought new batteries and voilà, the readings were the same, but then I loaded the MP with a roll and the readings were back to -1.5 stops again.

Is there someone out there that could point me in the right direction? Or experienced the same even?

I really don't like this, because I don't think the camera has any warranty left.

Best,

Simon

Silly question, I know - but are you setting the ISO dial on the back of the camera to match that of the film loaded?

Yes. It is currently set to 400, and the MP is showing correct exposure about 1.5 stops under my M6. For example, they are both showing correct exposure with these settings:

M6, 400, f2, 1/15

MP, 400, f2, 1/50

My light meter confirms that the M6 is correct.

Edited by simonwesterlund
typo

Advertisement (gone after registration)

" For example I got the same reading when I changed my ISO on the MP from 400 to 150."

This is unfortunately the only solution to work with the camera with the built in meter.... Except when you bring this camera to a Leica repairman to adjust the meter...:cool:

I did some more testing and the meter isn't very consistent, I guess my only option is to get it repaired. Thank you all for your suggestions.

...let me get this straight - for exactly the same settings on your MP, the meter readings vary when the camera is loaded/unloaded. Right?

If the above is correct, the camera definitely needs to be checked out by a qualified technician.

My MP, purchased new back when it was released, consistently underexposes around 2/3 of a stop. I sent it in under passport for this and the viewfinder dust seal but saw no change. I adjust the ISO dial accordingly.

Thanks, that good to know. My MP is a bit more inconsistent, out of a roll only five or so are correctly exposed while the others vary but are generally -1.5 stops.

Fortunately I can still return the camera to the ebay seller, which is exactly what I'm going to do. Then off to search for a new one!