Best SDxx cards for M (240)

I've been dipping in and out of this thread for a few weeks, trying to get my M to perform a little better. I finally decided it's time to try and improve performance with an SD card upgrade. It seems evident here that the SanDisk 64GB 95mbps card is highly rated. I ordered one from Amazon and it arrived just now. A full format in SDFormatter and in-camera and I'm delighted to say my M's start up time is now just over a second. It was taking upwards of 5 seconds before. I had a 32GB Samsung card (that was given away by Leica with a sub to the LFI Mag, I hasten to add!). Pile of junk clearly. I've not had time to see if it alleviates my occasional lockups and black screen playback of last image shot but I'm optimistic.

Very happy so far so just wanted to share incase there's any others on the fence and about picking up a new card.

Cheers

Dan 

• Like 1

I've been dipping in and out of this thread for a few weeks, trying to get my M to perform a little better. I finally decided it's time to try and improve performance with an SD card upgrade. It seems evident here that the SanDisk 64GB 95mbps card is highly rated. I ordered one from Amazon and it arrived just now. A full format in SDFormatter and in-camera and I'm delighted to say my M's start up time is now just over a second. It was taking upwards of 5 seconds before. I had a 32GB Samsung card (that was given away by Leica with a sub to the LFI Mag, I hasten to add!). Pile of junk clearly. I've not had time to see if it alleviates my occasional lockups and black screen playback of last image shot but I'm optimistic.

Very happy so far so just wanted to share incase there's any others on the fence and about picking up a new card.

Cheers

Dan 

Nice one Dan! - glad to see you got a 'real' card from Amazon! After my experience above I went back to Panasonic and got the 32gb class 3 with the same read/write speed as the SanDisk 64gb and the start up speed is fine. 

Cheers

Dan 

I'm using the Samsung 32gb that came with the LFI subscription too.  It's rated Class 10.  Now that you've mentioned, I do realise that it's a tad slow.

I used the SDFormatter too but will check if it's requiring 5 seconds to start up.

Cheers

• 1 month later...

Hi - I got a few of the Sandisk 64gb Extreme Pro cards and used SD Formatter 4.0 to format them on my Macbook Air. I then tried to use them on my MM2 and got the card full msg? I formatting them in camera and got the same card full msg. Anyone got a solution to this?

Any luck with the cards in the MM?

Do you have any other M-digital?  You might try to format in that camera, and then format in the MM again.

Edited by wparsonsgisnet

Advertisement (gone after registration)

Has anyone tested if this is an improvement over the 94 MBS extreme pro for the M240?

http://www.bhphotovideo.com/c/product/1030991-REG/sandisk_sdsdxpb_064g_a46_64gb_extreme_pro_sdxc_uhs_ii.html

I know the M240 doesn't have a UHS-II reader but just curious if there is any speed bump.

Edited by freitz

• 2 weeks later...
  • 2 weeks later...

I was shooting my Leica MP240 Safari in Tuscany recently, and using Sony 32 gb class 10 94 mb. Seem to work well but they seem prone to locking during insertion at times. But I think I lost some photos from one I used in my Pentax K5IIs, and maybe it was just getting old, who knows. They don't last forever and should be replaced at some point.  I have preferred Sandisk but am aware that some folks have had problems with them as well. This thread has been quite helpful in determining which card to upgrade to for use in my Leica. Appreciate all the input. The Sandisk 64 95mb it is.

And by the way, I am loving the Leica.

By the way, I did lose some photos in Italy, but I'm not sure how. It's as though the card allowed me to overwrite existing shots with new ones. Luckily, it wasn't anything critical, and things I had shot many times during previous trips. Also....

when importing and working with files in LR, I have observed something strange I hadn't experienced before.  The film strip will show a shot from a previous shoot that doesn't belong in the currently viewed sequence. When I try to select and review it, it reverts immediately to a shot that should be in the current sequence. This is a Sony SD card. Anyone know what that's all about?

Yes, it's a bug in Leica's unique identifier for the pictures. If you use a card in another camera, or possibly by some other method, for example deleting photos from a card on the computer, then Lightroom thinks it already has a thumbnail for that picture. When you loupe it or develop it the thumbnail is recreated.

Can be avoided by using cards in only one camera and by formatting in camera to erase photos.

• 7 months later...

Sorry to revisit this somewhat old thread and my apologise if this has been covered elsewhere. I've been using 64GB SanDisk Extreme Pro SDXC I 90MB/s cards in both my M240 & M246 and now need to buy a couple more. Will I gain anything by forking out the extra cash for the new(er) SanDisk Extreme Pro SDXC II 280MB/s cards and more importantly does the M240 support UHS-II? Thanks in advance.

Those new cards will work but won't bring any gain to your M bodies i'm afraid. Been there with one of the first if not the first 260MB/s card in 2014 (pic) but i have no experience with the latest SanDisk i must say.

Welcome, dear visitor! As registered member you'd see an image here…

Simply register for free here – We are always happy to welcome new members!

• Like 1

Sorry to revisit this somewhat old thread and my apologise if this has been covered elsewhere. I've been using 64GB SanDisk Extreme Pro SDXC I 90MB/s cards in both my M240 & M246 and now need to buy a couple more. Will I gain anything by forking out the extra cash for the new(er) SanDisk Extreme Pro SDXC II 280MB/s cards and more importantly does the M240 support UHS-II? Thanks in advance.

I was wondering if you were able to do any testing.

To be honest, the difference, in my experience, is minimal even for cameras that were designed to deal with these cards. The only in camera benefit I've noticed with the X-T1, which does support these speeds, vs 95MBs cards is that they can clear the buffer a bit faster for more continuous shooting in burst modes. I assume that the M240 does not support the added pinouts necessary for full speed operation, so in camera there's no benefit at all. 

The one advantage you do gain is when uploading files to your computer... assuming you have the appropriate card reader, other wise, same deal, it limited by the previous interface.  Personally, despite the added cost, at this point I'd probably spring for the higher speed ones for the faster uploads and they're more future proof.

• 3 months later...

I've been using the Sandisk SDXC 64GB 95MB/s card for almost 1 1/2 years, and it's always worked flawlessly, and the images are flushed to the card quickly, and the startup time is minimal.

Is it this one?

http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/SanDisk-64GB-Extreme-Pro-SDXC-Memory-Card-For-4K-HD-3D-Video-Camera-U3-95MB-s-/272083122393?hash=item3f596af8d9:g:6BgAAOSw~otWdwnb

Pete

Dear Leica aficionados, I'm currently researching and looking to buy more cards for my M240. I always use and would like to stick with SanDisk. Stills only and nothing more than 16GB. I've provisionally selected these

https://www.mymemory.co.uk/SDHC/SanDisk/SanDisk-16GB-Extreme-Pro-SD-Card-%28SDHC%29---95MB_s-UHS-I-U3

In your opinion, and given my needs, parameters and preferences, is this all I'll need, as good as it gets, or could I do better?

Many thanks in advance.

Keith

Edited by keithlaban.co.uk