Best SDxx cards for M (240)

jaapv and pico, were your cameras ever back in the factory?

Mine was rebuilt at Leica New Jersey after being badly damaged in an accident. I've no idea what internals might have been replaced.

Somebody whose camera was back in the factory claimed that the camera returned without a startup delay. I am wondering if replacement of some parts by the manufacturer does not play a role here...

The first I heard this one...

The M240 instructions manual (page 250) says: "SD cards up to 2 GB / SDHC cards up to 32 GB / SDXC cards" which means that there is no limit for SDXC cards implicitly. Did you try to format your card with SD Formatter? Just curious as i have no experience with this card. 

Edited by lct

I have formatted the SD card using SD Formatter several times.  It didn't make any difference.  I don't understand why this doesn't work.  It has the same specs as Sandisk Extreme Pro at least on paper.  I even tried to format using my Mac's Disk Utility.  For some reason it couldn't.  It kept stating that the disk couldn't be opened, but I was able to transfer files in and out of the SD card when I tried with a few pictures on my Mac.  It's possible that this card is somehow defective.

OK, really excited about the 64GB Extreme Pro card that has been described in this thread.

Thursday nite, I photo'd a dress rehearsal for a concert of dance.  No buffer fill!

This is the FIRST time using a digital Leica (Digilux 2, M8, M9) that I have not filled the buffer in a dance shoot.  (On the Digilux 2, of course, the buffer filled with a single raw photo.)

My settings are Compressed DNG, 1 sec review of image, Auto ISO, 1/45 to 1/250 sec depending on the light and movement requirements, 35mm f1.4 asph FLE lens at f1.4, and (don't miss it) Manfrotto monopod.  This last device absolutely transformed my dance (movement) photography, beginning about 20 years ago.

Anyway, I have been LIBERATED!  Thank you to the Solms Gnomes!

Note: I did have one lockup.  I have experienced these with the M8 and M9, as well.  It feels like a data overflow blowing away the operating system (speaking as a long-term developer).

Regards to all,  Bill

Edited by wparsonsgisnet

I finally got it to work!  I had use use the lengthy override format using SD Formatter.  That still didn't work, but at least it seemed to have fixed a problem because I could get it formatted using Mac's Disk Utility.  Then it worked on M240.  It took almost 8-10 seconds to get it started, but once it got going, I didn't encounter any problem.  Compared to my Sandisk Extreme Pro 32GB, the write speed seemed faster.  Anyway, I am happy that I didn't completely waste my money on this.   :)

Note: I did have one lockup.  I have experienced these with the M8 and M9, as well.  It feels like a data overflow blowing away the operating system (speaking as a long-term developer).

Regards to all,  Bill

I had a lockup issue which I resolved by using SD Card formatter and a slower SD card of 30MB/s. Perhaps the operating system is not handling fast write speeds.

Edited by Mornnb

I bought a PNY Elite Performance 256GB SD card (95MG/s) from Amazon.  It doesn't work on M240.  When I put it in, my M240 displays "Card not readable."  Is it safe to say that this card from PNY is not compatible with M240?

Is there any reason that you want to store 85.333 (give or take a magnitude ;))photographs  on the card?

I'm sure there are cases that it is useful to store such immense amounts of data on a single card (the NSA perhaps? :D), but I cannot imagine any use in photography.

As for write and start-up speeds, that is a matter of the card controller and the camera hard- and software working together. Most users report best results with fast 8 or 16 Gb cards (or even smaller). My M240 is lightning-fast using an ancient Sandisk Ultra - 256 MB...

Is there any reason that you want to store 85.333 (give or take a magnitude ;))photographs  on the card? [...]

How many videos? Did not do more than a couple of videos so far so just curiosity from my part.

Edited by lct