wparsonsgisnet

Best SDxx cards for M (240)

The last set of cards I purchased were for the M9 and are 16GB Panasonic SDXC Class 10-1 cards. Using these cards, it was taking almost 5 seconds for the M (240) to wake up (red lite stopped blinking) and when the buffer is full, less than 2 seconds for a shot to be available.

The Sandisk 64MB Extreme Pro Class 10-3 96MBs card that I bot, allows the M to start up in about 1.5 seconds (including the interval before the red lite blinks). When the buffer is full, the wait to take a pic seems a hair less than 1 sec. This is a very nice improvement (unaccompanied by any improvement to my bank account).

Exactly my experience, Bill, only I use Lexar.

The improvement does not really come from the speed of the card per se, but from the card controller.

Toshiba Flash Air II (32gb) works great in both the M9 and M240. I haven't tested its range, but wow is it nice to have in-camera wifi.

For the purposes of this thread, when you suggest a card, would you indicate some or all of the following:

1. Camera start-up time when switched on,

2. Number of shots to fill the buffer,

3. Time before next shot is available when buffer is full,

4. Time to finish writing when buffer is full.

I realize that it is difficult to measure these items precisely. Fortunately for us, photography is an imprecise science (read: art).

Regards to all, Bill

Advertisement (gone after registration)

Hot damn. I did my first dance shoot last nite with the extreme pro card. It's much! faster than the Pan class 10 card I was using. The full buffer was Not annoying, as I could shoot within a second. Waiting 2 seconds is gigantic, by comparison.

anyone using 128gb ok ?

Just wondering if they will work ok

Someone on "the other forum" said that 256gb didn't work for them, but I was unsure whether it was a exFat/FAT32 or UHS I/II problem,

thanks

Well... we did say that, several of us... several posts ago.

For some reason you just seem to be very selective about who you listen to and who you reply to....

Sorry to seem unappreciative. I took your advice and others' into account in my research into the Sandisk card. I appreciate your input and apologize for not appearing appreciative.

Best, Bill

I have a 64gig Sony SDXC I rated at 40MB/s and it's startup time is ~1.5 seconds, have not timed continuous shooting with it but read/write seems snappy.

I compared startup delay with several different cards today and wanted to share the results with my fellow Leica M photographers.

Used cards

Lexar Professional 600x 16GB SDHC UHS-I, 90MB/s

Lexar Professional 600x 64GB SDXC UHS-I, 90MB/s

Lexar Professional 2000x 64GB SDXC UHS-II/U3, 300MB/s

SanDisk Extreme 16 GB SDHC Class 10 UHS-1, 45MB/s

SanDisk Extreme Pro 32 GB SDHC – UHS Class 1,45MB/s

The cards have different nominal speeds, different sizes and interfaces and it allowed me to compare the numbers in several interesting ways. The time in the following chart is measured from OFF to exposure, holding the shutter button down while switching the camera from OFF to S.

Results

Some thoughts

- The old 45MB/s Sandisk Extreme 16GB mid range card is pretty close in Leica M startup performance to the best two, much more expensive cards

- Using the SD Formatter on two brand new Lexar SDXC cards improved the time by just 7%

- The latest Lexar 2000x is faster than older 600x card of the same size and type by approx. 20%. It is also 3x faster for downloading to computer and 3x more expensive.

- I did not see significant enough difference between SDHC and SDXC cards of the same make and speed. I am wondering if bigger is really better...

- While all the OFF to exposure delays even with the latest Lexar 2000x are close to 2s, when waking up from standby, the frames show up in a fraction of a second.

Edited by MirekE

I have a 64gig Sony SDXC I rated at 40MB/s and it's startup time is ~1.5 seconds, have not timed continuous shooting with it but read/write seems snappy.

Snappy" is that a scientific term?

Personally I would rather be out shooting than wasting my time counting seconds and milliseconds on how fast different SD cards perform. If your happy with a particular card in your M or any other camera, use it and get on with life..

Some M's do have issues, if using a specific card helps cure these irritations good. Overall Leica should address the issue and advise owners accordingly. Until they do, either store the camera away or use it...

Edited by manoleica

[...] when waking up from standby, the frames show up in a fraction of a second.

Are you sure you were in sleep mode? I did not measure all wakeup times when i did my own tests last year because i found identical results as startup times on most of them but i may have missed something.

http://tinyurl.com/kp8qe83

Are you sure you were in sleep mode? I did not measure all wakeup times when i did my own tests last year because i found identical results as startup times on most of them but i may have missed something.

http://tinyurl.com/kp8qe83

Just grabbed the camera after 12+ hours of standby, hit the shutter button and the frames appeared in about 0.2 sec (as far as can estimate). This is with the Lexar 2000x card, my older cards behave like yo say. If time permits, I will look closer into this.

Edited by MirekE
clarity

Little chance that a single card can be that different IMO. I suspect that your sleep mode was disabled.

I compared startup delay with several different cards today and wanted to share the results with my fellow Leica M photographers.

Used cards

Lexar Professional 600x 16GB SDHC UHS-I, 90MB/s

Lexar Professional 600x 64GB SDXC UHS-I, 90MB/s

Lexar Professional 2000x 64GB SDXC UHS-II/U3, 300MB/s

SanDisk Extreme 16 GB SDHC Class 10 UHS-1, 45MB/s

SanDisk Extreme Pro 32 GB SDHC – UHS Class 1,45MB/s

The cards have different nominal speeds, different sizes and interfaces and it allowed me to compare the numbers in several interesting ways. The time in the following chart is measured from OFF to exposure, holding the shutter button down while switching the camera from OFF to S.

Results

[ATTACH]492289[/ATTACH]

Some thoughts

- The old 45MB/s Sandisk Extreme 16GB mid range card is pretty close in Leica M startup performance to the best two, much more expensive cards

- Using the SD Formatter on two brand new Lexar SDXC cards improved the time by just 7%

- The latest Lexar 2000x is faster than older 600x card of the same size and type by approx. 20%. It is also 3x faster for downloading to computer and 3x more expensive.

- I did not see significant enough difference between SDHC and SDXC cards of the same make and speed. I am wondering if bigger is really better...

- While all the OFF to exposure delays even with the latest Lexar 2000x are close to 2s, when waking up from standby, the frames show up in a fraction of a second.

Interesting - the Lexar 600x professional 16 GB wakes up in 1.4 secs on my camera, measured from off to exposure by an on-screen stopwatch, average of ten measurements. - go figure...

The sample variation between cameras appears to be considerable.

Edited by jaapv

The start-up times surprise me. I settled on Panasonic 16gb cards long ago. The start-up is instantaneous. The light comes on when the on-switch is moved and off by the time it's in the click-stop.