Best SDxx cards for M (240)

Advertisement (gone after registration)

Hmm... seems to be a problem with the link. The cards I'm considering are the following.

http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/SanDisk-16GB-Extreme-Pro-SD-SDHC-Memory-Card-UHS1-95MB-s-New-For-digital-Camera-/371480737558?hash=item567dfa3716:g:-EAAAOSw41xXOcJc

SanDisk 16GB Extreme Pro SD Card (SDHC) - 95MB/s UHS-I U3

Thanks.

I noticed that too, but they are a similar price to those on Amazon (in fact more expensive). There are a lot of fake cards around but I've never had any problems myself so I've ordered one from Amazon and one from Stashmonkey on eBay. We'll see what happens.

What a wonderful photographic site you have!

Pete

Edited by Stealth3kpl

I noticed that too, but they are a similar price to those on Amazon (in fact more expensive). There are a lot of fake cards around but I've never had any problems myself so I've ordered one from Amazon and one from Stashmonkey on eBay. We'll see what happens.

What a wonderful photographic site you have!

Pete

Pete, many thanks for the info and compliment, much appreciated!

• 1 year later...

Has anyone tried the new San Disk 64gb extreme pro 300mbs in M240?  Heading to Africa for a few weeks and won't be taking a laptop so need plenty of cards.  Have been using older Extreme Pro (95mbs) which are fine.  Any point in going for faster 300mbs?  No video planned.  Thanks

Has anyone tried the new San Disk 64gb extreme pro 300mbs in M240?  Heading to Africa for a few weeks and won't be taking a laptop so need plenty of cards.  Have been using older Extreme Pro (95mbs) which are fine.  Any point in going for faster 300mbs?  No video planned.  Thanks

The camera doesn’t write that fast so it shouldn’t make a difference.

• 2 months later...

where can I find out the M240 fastest writing speed?  The new USH-II has write speed over 200MG/s but I don't want to waste $$ if M only support sub 100MB/s.  I believe the write speed determines the performance between shutter fires.  The M-lag is really killing me and my models... 

P.S. I only need 64GB in size and I don't really care read speed. 

The camera doesn’t write that fast so it shouldn’t make a difference.

Just a Leica leaflet from 2013 confirming that "SDXC cards with higher speeds are compatible, but offer no additional benefit in terms of speed compared with SDHC cards". Many M240 users including truly yours have been using and still use Sandisk Extreme Pro 64GB 95MBs SD cards since then. No problemo but 2013 is not 2018 and the M240 has never been a fast camera anyway.

I end up purchased the UHS-II although M doesn't support the speed.  The UHS-II has better bandwidth when backward compatible with UHS-I cameras and is more adaptable for the future use.   It says not lower than 30mb/s write! 

Edited by jaeger

23 hours ago, Snap Happy said:

Upon reading this thread I purchased a Sandisk Extreme Pro 65/95 and can confirm a big improvement in start up time compared to the Lexar Premium Series I was using previously.

Sandisk and most other brands actually are very tricky, they only mention maximum possible speed...  which could be average write @20mbs at any given time -- who knew?

Most interestingly, nobody knows for sure what's the threshold writing speed on M240 and the M240 user manual does have it.  And again most other camera brands don't have this figure neither. 

We always have 2 unknowns... so let's keep guessing, trying and spending more money.  Don't you hate it, I do!

P.S. Read speed usually improves LCD preview and upload to computer speed.  Write speed determines the speed between shots, my S mode is like C mode now (without LV or EVF).  Bootup may require both speeds. 

Edited by jaeger

• 1 year later...

Forgive the thread resurrection, I just didn't see the point of starting a new one...

Besides... secondhand the 240 has never been cheaper (enabling people with budgets such as mine to own one) and the 240 based M-E is the same platform and quite new so I can't be the only person thinking about this topic.... (tumbleweed!!!)

I also have an M9 and one of the many commendable things about the 9 is the lack of wake up time. Here I do feel the M240 is slower

I had in stock 3 sandisk cards that ought to work well with the M240

2 x 16gb extreme pro 95mbs SDHC and 1 x 32gb extreme pro 95mbs SDHC

I tested all three of these cards (all of which I've had a number of years across a number of cameras) having first formatted them in SDFormatter, then secondly converted them to exFAT and 128kb cluster size and conducted the power off to first shot test that you were all doing a few years ago

My 32gb is tangibly the slowest. 

One of the 16s is always a hair faster than the other, no matter how many times I cycle the test and average the results.

This card averages at 1.69 seconds from flicking the ON switch to the shutter firing

The camera is noticeably 'snappier' to use with this 16 compared to my 32. Silly things like navigating the menu and cycling through images displayed at 100% (and I do notice it starts up and wakes up a bit quicker)

So time I got to the point...

Is it really worth getting the "recommended" 64gb extreme pro 95mbs SDHC that you all settled on back in the day? Other than 4x the capacity will it really be noticeably quicker and make the camera nicer to use?

And if the answer is yes... well this card is quite old now, the replacement is the 64gb extreme pro 170mbs SDHC.

I know the 240 can't write at 170mbs... but when you drill down the spec of this card, the 170 only refers to the read speed (which might be nice when importing images to be edited), the rest of the specs (ie write speed) are identical to the 64gb extreme pro of yester-yesteryear

So I wonder if that might be the one to go for or really just stick with the 16... the storage is enough and the camera seems to work well enough with it... but y'know... things can always work better!

Thanks

EDIT: maybe pictures help?

Welcome, dear visitor! As registered member you'd see an image here…

Simply register for free here – We are always happy to welcome new members!

Edited by Adam Bonn

32GB cards have always been slower i don't know why. I seem to recall that they were made of two 16GB cards but i'm not sure of that. I did some tests a couple years ago and will post them if i can retrieve them but the faster cards i've used did not prove faster than the 95mb/s 64GB's on the M240. I have no experience with the M-E though.