Best SDxx cards for M (240)

Advertisement (gone after registration)

Changing SD cards on Leica M isn't exactly quick and easy considering that I have a half case attached.  It's just too much of hassle for me to remove the case and remove the bottom plate.  I have other uses for the SD card so even if this didn't work on M240, I could use it my other camera.  I suppose that the the start up time is somewhat inversely proportional to the size of the card past 32/64GB.  Honestly, I do regret buying this because it just takes too long, but I am not really into action photography so I can make this work.  I still remember how cumbersome it was to change the film on my old MP.   :)

Is there any reason that you want to store 85.333 (give or take a magnitude ;))photographs  on the card?

I'm sure there are cases that it is useful to store such immense amounts of data on a single card (the NSA perhaps? :D), but I cannot imagine any use in photography.

As for write and start-up speeds, that is a matter of the card controller and the camera hard- and software working together. Most users report best results with fast 8 or 16 Gb cards (or even smaller). My M240 is lightning-fast using an ancient Sandisk Ultra - 256 MB...

The real Leicaman has an imprint of his teeth in the bottom plate and has learnt to dangle the half-case from his left Pinky :D

However, a 16 GB card runs more or less synchronous with the battery.

• Like 1

• 1 month later...

I have used various versions of the SD card. I have found that SanDisk SDXC "Extreme Pro" 64 GB (Class 10, U1, 95 MB/s) is the fastest. 

I too have used just about every memory card out there and I always recommend and go back to my trusty SanDisk Extreme Pros especially for my M 240.  As mentioned in an earlier post, a 16GB card pretty much runs the life of the battery, though, with my batteries now well over 2 years old, they may have lost a few GB ;)

Edited by Garrett Lynch

• 1 month later...
  • 3 weeks later...

Yeah, this card is also recommended by Thorsten Overgaard on his site (in the "longest camera review, ever").

I plan to get a couple of these. Thanks, Indergaard.

Hi - I got a few of the Sandisk 64gb Extreme Pro cards and used SD Formatter 4.0 to format them on my Macbook Air. I then tried to use them on my MM2 and got the card full msg? I formatting them in camera and got the same card full msg. Anyone got a solution to this?

Can we have some more clues? Does the MM2 work with any cards? Do the Sandisk cards work on the MAC (can you drop files on them in Finder)?

Yes other cards work on the M246. I think it is a partitioning issue as the card shows only 1mb capacity on finder (I can drop files into the card up to that size) that SD formatting is creating or the cards are defective. However it is happening with all three cards I bought which does mitigate against that theory. I have put bug reports into SanDisk and Leica although  Leica have come back and confined M246 supports Class 3 cards (even if they do not the firmware should just use the card emulated in class 1 mode). I have obviously googled this issue and there are similar experiences on the net which points to an SD formatter issue with Mac (mine is on 10.9.5)  however most on this forum seem to have not had this issue. 

Panasonic SDXC class 10 64GB 90/45. No lock-ups and start-up = about 1.5 sec. Format in camera. Never got around to downloading SD Formatter because, it seems fast enough.

I use Panasonic Gold 16GB (read 90 - write 45MB/s)  [C10, U1] cards, my M 240 takes 5 secs to start up, recently it fails to format them. Formatting takes for ever, after that the card is not readable by the M 240 nor my computer nor my Monochrom v1. But I can reformat it with my X-Vario... This happened to 2 of these Panasonic cards already!!!

Welcome, dear visitor! As registered member you'd see an image here…

Simply register for free here – We are always happy to welcome new members!

I use Panasonic Gold 16GB (read 90 - write 45MB/s)  [C10, U1] cards, my M 240 takes 5 secs to start up, recently it fails to format them. Formatting takes for ever, after that the card is not readable by the M 240 nor my computer nor my Monochrom v1. But I can reformat it with my X-Vario... This happened to 2 of these Panasonic cards already!!!

No problem for me (M240). I would format it with SD Formatter.

Do you have U1 or U3 cards? Write 25MB/s or 45MB/s? They look almost identical...

The class should not matter - I have the same make card in Class 3/32gb format and it works fine on M246. If the camera (any camera) cannot read Class 3 it should emulate Class 1 instead. I have also had this confirmed by Leica.

Warning - I (as stated above) recently purchased three Sandisk 65gb SD cards and they have been found to be counterfeit (confirmed by Sandisk). They were purchased directly from Amazon (UK) not Amazon marketplace.

The way you can tell these fake cards from the genuine article is they do not have the SanDisk logo on the back and the plastic is slight thinner than the original