Anyone uses Pelican 1200 for their Leica M9 family?

sfethan

Advertisement (gone after registration)

Looks good, do you have to order from USA direct or there is UK stockist, I couldn't find any information on the Trekpak website.

Assuming that its from the USA and if a sufficient number of people are interested, I'd be happy to place an order and deal with the vat side of things since I import stuff already and am vat registered - it may reduce shipping costs and courier charges if a few people want to do this. PM me if interested.

Well, it's arrived and, more importantly, it fits my case!!

Now comes the fun part of determining the best layout and trimming things to fit!

I'm not going to rush :D

Please can you comment on what you think of it when done as it would be really helpful to know before I order?

• Like 1

As promised, here are a couple of photos of my case and new insert.

It's quite handy that the internal dimensions of the Immation DataGuard case are virtually

identical to the Pelican 1520 resulting in the insert for the Pelican being a near perfect fit

for the Immation.

16943177192_e962c12157_b.jpg

The insert kit comes with a bottom liner, lid liner, lens pads, side walls and assorted dividers and pins.

I decided to add to that the special cutting tool and a couple of full length dividers just in case

I needed more. As it happens I have not used all the dividers or pins but I did need the length

of the full length insert so it was worth ordering them.

The cutting tool works well but you do need a good grip as it is quite a stiff operation. The

most time spent is on planning the layout. Once that is done it's quite easy to measure up

by eye and trim the dividers to fit.

16918555116_1d1d99cd1a_b.jpg

When fitting the dividers, I placed them as tightly as possible to the lenses so that they

are unlikely to flap about in transit. The little red tags are a bit unsightly but I put them in

as they do make it a lot easier to pull the locking pins out if you decide to change the layout.

I cut lens pads to go under the shorter lenses bringing them all to roughly the same

height. The Immation case had some padding with it and I cut a couple of pieces from it

to go under the camera bodies.

All in all I'm very happy with the end result. With shipping and tax it was not cheap. Those

two items effectively doubled the cost of the insert kit. But I got the Immation case free

from a friend so I'm not going to complain.

Hope this helps with your decision making process :)

Edited by Gibbo
  • Like 2

looks great.

nice to know I've found a new way for you all to squander more money .....:D

despite the cost I have found it a vast improvement on cutting holes in foam and the scruffy soft dividers....... plus I suspect it will last a lot longer and it's easy to make minor adjustments if you change gear.

• Like 1

Foam outgasses and will coat the inside of your lens elements and camera.

Probably ok for a trip, but do not use for permanent storage.

I believe that this product was designed specifically for camera applications so I imagine that they would have taken that into consideration. For that matter it is really no different than the pick and pluck foam used in these type of cases for the last 30 years. For what it's worth I have stored all of my equipment in pelicases for the last 20 years using a combo of foam and dividers and have not experienced any issues.

• Like 2

As a bit of a coincidence I was talking to a friend who runs a graphic design company yesterday, He can custom cut foam to specific designs in 1" thick sections so a purpose built foam interior could be made for a pelicase. He may try building one for me as it is an interesting option for Pelicases which I think is worth pursuing as another alternative.

• Like 2

We really need a bag/case forum, don't we? :D :D

Whilst its a topic which gets belittled and dismissed as a joke at times, storage can be a very valid topic as poor storage can cause problems (such as fungus) so it can be well worth discussing. That said, I have to admit to not being into the 'fashion' side a camera bags, which does exist;).

• Like 2

• 4 weeks later...
Guest NEIL-D-WILLIAMS

I just cant imagine lugging all that gear around in a case that stinks "money inside" especially Leica gear that is small compact and easy to put in a regular camera bag..............Now if you traveled in a boiler suit and hard hat you could get away with being a builder with an electric drill inside but to be done up in your togs and carry something like that around with you.............. you have to be down right crazy.

Apart from that yellow !!!!!!!

I just use them for storage and organization at home. The leicas I want to use get selected and put into a battered green courier bag for actual use. Exception is my medium format gear if I have to go shoot a building we did in which case the pelican with the MF equipment goes in the boot of the car with tripod etc and I work out of the car boot as a kind of mobile work platform.

My cases are also not yellow.

• 5 months later...
  • 2 months later...
  • 1 year later...

It has a firm click which is very reassuring. I also have a Pelican 1450 case which takes my Omni Pro case. I use this case for my S2 and M9. But I prefer the 1200 with the M9. I've rearranged the foam a few times so as to take my 135 Elmarit or 21, 50 and 90 with the 35 on the body.

My MM arrives tomorrow and I'll try to see if I can get two bodies to fit along with at least three lenses. 50 on the MM and 35 on the M9. Should work.

I've had the 1200 floating in water for more than an hour and my gear stayed dry.

Do you have a picture of the 1200 with 4 lenses? one attached to the body. Thanks. 

• 1 month later...

Finally got the 1200 with trekpak. I use it mainly as my lens carrier which I put on my backpack. I still prefer the billingham hadley digital for the M. 

21 CV Color Skopar F4

85 ZM Tele-Tessar

35 Summicron ASPH

15 CV Heliar III

135  Elmar

Welcome, dear visitor! As registered member you'd see an image here…

Simply register for free here – We are always happy to welcome new members!

• 1 month later...

I tried the Trekpak with my Pelican 1200 and could not find a layout that worked without the camera sliding around. I went back to the plucked foam and am happy with how protected the camera is.

i-223vSFx-X2.jpg

I tried putting my M240 inside the 1200. I notice that it was hard to close the case when the M240 is in standing position. Have you experience the same? is it safe? 

• 2 years later...

An example of the peli 1200 with leica m10, grip, noctilux 50, nd filter, super elmar 21, summicron 50 & evf. All fits quite well

Welcome, dear visitor! As registered member you'd see an image here…

Simply register for free here – We are always happy to welcome new members!