Sign in to follow this  
flyalf

Abstract birches - but is it a photo?

Advertisement (gone after registration)

Taken with M + 35 lux FLE. I dont know if others think this a bit outside what a photo "should be"?

Birch by fotoalf, on Flickr

A photograph, but as you say slightly abstract in presentation. The current LFI has an article showing the pictures of trees by Lord Charles March of Goodwood which are even more abstract. I think the technical process makes it a photograph, after that it is in the eye of the beholder.

I like this abstract look, makes for an interesting image. Am wondering how the image was created? is it 2-3 images merged together?

Thanks! It was created by simply moving the camera vertical @ 1/4s

This is a really beautiful image - I love it.

(I don't think there are any limitations as to what a photo should be…this is just an exploration of the medium…there's no reason why we should necessarily expect a camera to see what our eyes see…sorry, I'm rambling!)

cheers:

Sam

Advertisement (gone after registration)

Thanks! It was created by simply moving the camera vertical @ 1/4s

Thank you for sharing and thank you for inspiring me to try something new

Man, I am really curious what the hell abstract bitches are... Oh, I got that wrong.

Nice image though! ^^

Nice, works very well with the snow on the ground and trees. I'm doing the same and now trying to find out if it may make a nice set if you have the same shot in different seasons. Waiting for spring now.

This is a creative image however I think it would benefit from being given good black and white conversion, the heavy greyish snow looks clunky......well, on my screen anyway.

This is a creative image however I think it would benefit from being given good black and white conversion, the heavy greyish snow looks clunky......well, on my screen anyway.

Thanks a lot for your feedback, and to others as well

I always prefer color

. The snow should be slight bluish with tones of yellow. And the trees are slightly orange. But I cannot guarantee that my screen is properly calibrated, its been a while. These winter snow tones can be hellishly difficult to master, and only slight variations will differ.

Alf,

this is a wonderful image. By such good work in abstraction its impact on the view is often stronger than a "plain" photograph. The soft color range here is also adding to the abstraction.

Thanks a lot for your feedback, and to others as well .

I always prefer color

. The snow should be slight bluish with tones of yellow. And the trees are slightly orange. But I cannot guarantee that my screen is properly calibrated, its been a while. These winter snow tones can be hellishly difficult to master, and only slight variations will differ.

Thanks....I thought later that perhaps I was a bit blunt, of course it is your image and I was putting my preconceptions onto you, as I always (to a great degree) prefer b&w...mea culpa and apologies.

I like it !

and yes its a photo - it uses a different technique, but its still a photo (and one i would be happy to hang on my wall)