109 file numbering!?...

Advertisement (gone after registration)

Is it possible to change the file numbering in the camera? I find it very confusing and irritating to have numbers changing every time you change a mode and having some numbers with a “dash” and some without; jumping from one number to another without following the right order!... I hope leica would be kind enough to give us the choice in a future firmware!

Louis, here's how to change the numbering with an M8 and the same process works with the M9 although some of the menu items might have slightly different names - (I can't remember)

1. Set the Picture Number in the menu to "Standard".

2. Format the SD card in camera.

3. Reset the File Number in the menu. It actually says “Reset fold. No”, that is the one you want.

4. Set Picture Number back to "Continuous"

5. Take one image

6. Shut off camera, remove SD card and place in card reader attached to a computer.

7. Access the image in your Finder or Explorer (Mac or PC); rename the image number to whatever file number/image number you want. I would suggest Lyyyxxxx, with "y" being your preferred folder number (See Note Below) and "x" being the frame number you want to start with. (You are making these changes to the file name on the card in the card reader.)

NOTE

If you want to change the first or second digit of the L100 (Lyyy above) in the file name, like to L200 or 120 or 220, then you have to change the folder name also.

The directory/folder structure on the card when in a card reader is [Drive Letter]:\DCIM\100LEICA\. You need to change the 100LEICA to whatever you want the file number to start with. Like if you want it to be L200xxxx then you need to rename that folder to 200LEICA. If you want L120 then you need to change that folder name to 120LEICA. It would look like this [Drive Letter]:\DCIM\120 or 200LEICA.

8. Properly remove card from card reader and return to camera.

9. Turn the camera on and press "Play". The file will now display with newly renamed folder and file number. (Use "Info" to see this data.)

10. Expose another image to confirm and check file numbers.

11. Format SD card, and you are good to go from that point on.

Note: I've added this to the FAQ thread.

Pete.

Franz,

Thank you so much for your time and detailed direction. But it seems that the LX/DLux menu is different from M8/9. Unless I am doing something wrong, I can’t find any “Picture Number” in order to set it to “Standard” or to “continue”!

I also don’t find any “Reset File Number”! I only have “no-reset”, “Reset” (which resets the whole menu), and “wi-fi reset”!

But the good news is that after formatting my SD, I took a shot, removed the SD from the camera; and, on my PC, I changed the name of the shot and the folder. Now, I have the numbers following in right order, although, the “dash” (-) is still there for different modes. For instance when I shoot in RAW or JPG, or “A” or normal, the dash is there for RAW files and not for “A” files!

I think I can live with that since now, the numbers are continuous at least!... I hope Leica would consider that in the future firmware, anyway!

Thanks again; you have been a great help! :)

Best,

• Like 1

CORRECTION!

Unfortunately, I was wrong!.... As long as we cannot get rid of that damn "dash", the same problem remains!

I like to group my files by type in a folder to ease finding them and processing them. The "dashed" files stay together and the non-dash stay separate! Therefore, a mess!.... Problem not resolved unless something is done in firmware!...