I would like to buy an M8! Questions...

Brycejh

Advertisement (gone after registration)

Hello!

My name is Bryce and I am new to the forums, I want to apologize in advance if my questions have been beat into the ground 1000x, I'm very new to the Leica M world..

I have been collecting cameras for quite some time, and have always dreamt of owning a Leica M (I have a Leica CM and it is one of my favorite film cameras).

I have saved up about $3,500-$4000 USD for my next camera, and am looking at a Leica M8 and lens, however with all of the stories of faulty sensors/LCD/shutter issues I am a bit nervous :(

Is there something that I should look for in terms of serial number? Should I buy from a specific source? Does anyone have one for sale? (haha sorry, had to ask!)

Any insight would be amazing!

Thank you!

Hi Bryce,

welcome to the forum, it's a nice and knowledgeable place.

With the sort of budget you have you can either buy an M8 and a couple of lenses, or an M9 and a lens.

Personally, I'd buy the M9. The M8 is a wonderful camera though, so if that is where you want to head, by all means. I just feel the M9 is a slightly better proposition. Having said that, you will get all manner of suggestions. Why not "handle" either/both and see what you think.

Gary

Hi Bryce,

welcome to the forum, it's a nice and knowledgeable place.

With the sort of budget you have you can either buy an M8 and a couple of lenses, or an M9 and a lens.

Personally, I'd buy the M9. The M8 is a wonderful camera though, so if that is where you want to head, by all means. I just feel the M9 is a slightly better proposition. Having said that, you will get all manner of suggestions. Why not "handle" either/both and see what you think.

Gary

Hey Gary! Thanks for the reply

Looking at the m9, the only ones I am seeing are right at my budget.. I would need to save up quite a bit more to get a lens, or am I missing something here?

Is there a particular lens you suggest? I was looking at the Zeiss ZM 25mm f/2.8, thoughts?

Thanks!

Bryce,

there are more M8/M9 savvy people here than me.

I had an M8 a while back, and used the Elmarit 28mm. With my M9, I used mainly the Summicron 35mm.

Of late I Have seen M9's at about US$3000.

The ZM25 would be OK on the M8, but too wide (for me anyway) as an every day lens of the M9.

Depends what your subjects are and personal tastes with imaging.

Gary

Buy from a reputable dealer who will give a warrantee.

Inspect either at high iso to be sure there are no red line issues, dead pixel line.

Some M9 have a corrosion problem on the sensor.

Avoid anything with a high shutter count.

If you like wide lenses, get the M9.

M8 really needs coded lenses for 35 and shorter

M8 needs the uv/ir filters for best color,

Repairs on Leica are not cheap or fast. You can spend 500 to 1000 at blink of an eye.

You can get a red line, RF goes out, some M8 displays go bad and can not be repaired, shutters an break. All are beyond your control and can happen at any time.

extra battery is $140.

I guess I am telling you this is not a budget camera.

• Like 1

Hello Tobey, Thanks for your feedback here.

I realize that the Leica M8/9 is not a budget camera, and honestly I am ok with that. I am just curious as to what steps I can take before hand to potentially avoid any possible issues. Its difficult to test these issues in person as I am not finding any bodies locally (I live in Portland OR).

Again, thanks for your feedback here.

Advertisement (gone after registration)

I just recommended an M8 to my friend and lent him a 5cm F1.5 Sonnar to get him started. He bought a late-run M8 for $1600 from Leica store, Miami.

I bought my M8 just over 5 years ago for $2500, used with 400 shots on it. The SN was in the 319xxxx range- indicating a later run, and the original owner bought it in October 2009. I bought the M8 to see how I felt about a Digital M, figured it had already taken the bulk of depreciation. Bought the M9 a year later, and the Monochrom 2 years ago. I still have, use, and very much like the M8. I would suggest- get the M8 and lenses, you can always sell it for about what you paid if you want full-frame later.

Edited by Lenshacker

Hello Tobey, Thanks for your feedback here.

I realize that the Leica M8/9 is not a budget camera, and honestly I am ok with that. I am just curious as to what steps I can take before hand to potentially avoid any possible issues. Its difficult to test these issues in person as I am not finding any bodies locally (I live in Portland OR).

Again, thanks for your feedback here.

There's really no guarantee on reliability and there's always a chance something can go wrong. Having said that they're still a very good camera and I have never been worried about mine getting into problems. Get the cheapest M8 you can find then insure it for market price.

Avoid anything with a high shutter count. ....

This is a questionable warning without knowing more about possible candidate purchases. A high shutter count probably suggests that it is a proven reliable model used by a photographer to take a lot of pictures. Whereas a model which has sat idle for a long time on a shelf somewhere might misbehave just as an automobile might do if laid up for ages then suddenly used. Shutters are made to be used. Having said that, be guided by a good Leica dealer and your own common sense.

As a newcomer to this forum, do spend time looking at FAQs and use the Search function to explore specific questions.

Welcome!

Hello!

My name is Bryce and I am new to the forums, I want to apologize in advance if my questions have been beat into the ground 1000x, I'm very new to the Leica M world..

I have been collecting cameras for quite some time, and have always dreamt of owning a Leica M (I have a Leica CM and it is one of my favorite film cameras).

I have saved up about $3,500-$4000 USD for my next camera, and am looking at a Leica M8 and lens, however with all of the stories of faulty sensors/LCD/shutter issues I am a bit nervous :(

Is there something that I should look for in terms of serial number? Should I buy from a specific source? Does anyone have one for sale? (haha sorry, had to ask!)

Any insight would be amazing!

Thank you!

Everything has its issues, but the M8 really doesn't have issues with the sensor or shutter.

There is a problem with the LCD that gets what is called a coffee stain that renders it somewhat unusable depending on where it strikes.

The stain is a not fixable problem as Leica no longer has replacements. However, it seems some people report it fading away after a time, so I am not all that concerned.

I have no idea how pervasive the issue is, but both of our M8s are fine.

My first lens was a ZM 28 f/2.8, which is very close to a 35mm equivalent. It's a very good lens as is the ZM 35 f/2, but that is a narrower field of view.

Leica lenses are going to be somewhat better, but much more costly. Since the M8 sensor is a cropped sensor (1.33X), the outer edges of lenses where most of the problems are are not an issue for the M8.

I have three Zeiss lenses and have no issues with these on the M8.

However, you need to manually code these lenses. I use a black marker pen with a Match Technical coder kit. The new ZM lenses make this easer as they have a recess in the lens mount so the mark does not wear off.

The coding helps the camera correct for color and aberrations in the lens.

Lastly, you should buy a B+W UV/IR cut filter for each lens. The M8 needs that filter to prevent IR and UV pollution on the images, which turn greens into a hideous shade with out the filter.

Expenses like these should be made with disposable income. That is, if something catastrophic happens it isn't the financial end of the world for you to get it fixed or replaced.