All hail the M8...

david strachan

Advertisement (gone after registration)

Ahh, my lovely.

My Silver-chrome arrived two weeks ago.Bought from a lovely chap in London; a member of the LUF.

It’s in great condition, with <5,000 clicks.

I love the M8…such a smooth camera.The filters are great…tuning the light to the sensor, protecting lens, etc.They are always used, with lens hood.

The cropped sensor (APS_H) size is very adequate to pixel peep, and prints large very well. With lenses from VC 15mm to Telyt’s the camera performs well. I use old and middle aged Leica and other lenses and new age VC lenses.

The images are standing the test of time.Every week I seem to read of a new convert to the M8…it is attested to its popularity by the number of threads here.

Using the sweet spot of the lens, the middle, reduces lens aberrations in the image. Comma, smearing and CA are my bugbears. All very reduced compared to seeing the edge of FF lenses; due to the smaller sensor.

The coffee stain problem is cosmetic, and usually fades in time, it seems.

It had a couple of early hiccups…the first digital M for Leica. Unbelievably eight and a half years old. All hail the M8…

cheers Dave S :)

Welcome, dear visitor! As registered member you'd see an image here…

Simply register for free here – We are always happy to welcome new members!

• Like 8

16464551155_3fe2217192_o.jpgM8_Monochrom_Matchup

In the M8 High-ISO thread, I posted an image with the M8 and with the M Monochrom of the same subject, the M Monochrom set to ISO5000. Once you factor in the yellow filter used on the Monochrom, the exposure was "about the same". Arvid has asked me to repeat some of these tests, so I've put matching 1950 J-3's, both with Zeiss optics and serial numbers, both rebuilt by me; 8GByte 4x Sandisk cards, and freshly charged batteries. I will be doing this project over the next couple of weeks, and will post results.

Edited by Lenshacker
  • Like 4

Interesting to see converts, years after the release of the camera.

I too was an early adopter of the M8 and had some issues, mainly battery issues.

I traded the M8 for the M8.2 and have used it a lot.

Once the M9 came out I sat on the fence for a while then bought the M9P; a beautiful camera indeed with the FF.

However no other camera inspires me as does my M8 (.2).

It is even today the one I always reach for if I am Shooting digital.

For me it has a Special look to ist Images, particularly with older lenses that set it apart from all other digital M's.

Of course a matter of taste but for me ist is the best of the bunch.

Enjoy

Andy

• Like 4

• 4 weeks later...

Since acquiring my M8 last fall, I must confess my 35mm cameras are feeling a bit neglected, as when I need to grab something, it's the M8 80% of the time. Of the remaining 20%, it's mostly medium format film, either my Bronica ETR, my P67, then lastly my M6 or my II.

Using the M8 has far exceeded my expectations, I love it!

• Like 2

• 3 weeks later...
Ahh, my lovely.

My Silver-chrome arrived two weeks ago.Bought from a lovely chap in London; a member of the LUF.

It’s in great condition, with <5,000 clicks.

I love the M8…such a smooth camera.The filters are great…tuning the light to the sensor, protecting lens, etc.They are always used, with lens hood.

The cropped sensor (APS_H) size is very adequate to pixel peep, and prints large very well. With lenses from VC 15mm to Telyt’s the camera performs well. I use old and middle aged Leica and other lenses and new age VC lenses.

The images are standing the test of time.Every week I seem to read of a new convert to the M8…it is attested to its popularity by the number of threads here.

Using the sweet spot of the lens, the middle, reduces lens aberrations in the image. Comma, smearing and CA are my bugbears. All very reduced compared to seeing the edge of FF lenses; due to the smaller sensor.

The coffee stain problem is cosmetic, and usually fades in time, it seems.

It had a couple of early hiccups…the first digital M for Leica. Unbelievably eight and a half years old. All hail the M8…

cheers Dave S :)

What is a VC lens ?

Truth be told, I'd love to have a Monochron M but the price right now is still prohibitive...I'm a patient person though.... :)

...that being said, I love my M8. I've recently acquired a CV 15mm lens for it after some hesitation but I have to say that it really is a fantastic lens despite it's relatively low price.

I haven't tried it with color yet as I'm really a monochrome shooter.

• Like 1

Truth be told, I'd love to have a Monochron M

Actually I'm not sure I would as I'm still struggling to really see where the incremental improvements are in practice over the M8, for me. The M8 produces really lovely monochrome files - I have not yet seen anything that persuades me that it is so much better that it is worth it, for me.

• Like 1

How are people shooting monochrome with the M8? In JPEG mode with B&W setting in camera? Or are you converting DNG to monochrome in post processing using something like Silver Efex? Are you removing the IR cut filter? Thanks!

How are people shooting monochrome with the M8? In JPEG mode with B&W setting in camera? Or are you converting DNG to monochrome in post processing using something like Silver Efex? Are you removing the IR cut filter? Thanks!

i allways shoot dng,

however,the b/w jpgs are looking good at the first look,but in comparison the dngs are much better/sharper/clearer.

furthermore i allways shoot with 160 iso and pull the dng-file in the post to a higher sensitivity( if needed)

i use photoshop/capture-one for the processing.

lambda.

Edited by Guest

btw, this is mine ;)

lambda.

Edited by Guest

i allways shoot dng,

however,the b/w jpgs are looking good at the first look,but in comparison the dngs are much better/sharper/clearer.

furthermore i allways shoot with 160 iso and pull the dng-file in the post to a higher sensitivity( if needed)

i use photoshop/capture-one for the processing.

lambda.

Thanks - do you remove the IR cut filter for your B/W shots? I once read that you can achieve more tonality in doing this.

• Like 1

• 2 weeks later...

I just got last week my M8 in mint like-new condition with less than 2k shutter clicks, original box and papers, Luigi-s case, hand grip and extra original battery for $1650 dlls...  I am very happy I sold my Fuji gear to get this baby a new home :)

Edited by rivi1969
  • Like 2