What's the difference between JPG format modes?

Advertisement (gone after registration)

Can anyone explain the difference between the T's two JPG file format modes: "Fine" vis-a-vis 'Super Fine?" I don't find the technical information in the manual all that helpful. Both modes allow the same JPG resolution options.

Any insight that someone might have would be appreciated.

Thanks.

Dan

Actually, no compression is applied to the DNG file, it is "raw" and therefore has more data. This is why you can save highlights and darks in DNGs much more than JPGs. Super Fine JPG from what I understand uses less compression than regular JPG so it retains more data to work with.

JPGs have an advantage over DNGs since they render sharper images and don't require as much post processing as DNGs, which usually have a more flat look to them before they are edited. Also, Leica has its own image processor specifications, so their JPGs have a certain look that other brands can't get.

JPEG compression reduces file size, but it is lossy: Data is lost by the compression algorithm. It is independent of resolution. The difference between fine and super fine would be the amount of JPEG compression applied to the DNG file.

I thought it was clear that I was referring to the compression applied to the (raw) image in the conversion process. The DNG file itself, of course, is unaffected.

You all might reorient yourselves.

The Leica T manual uses the word 'resolution' in a handy (quotidian)

manner, and makes it clear that when it addresses JPEG, it means number

of pixels in the JPEG image where more is better, but even at its best,

it is not the same as DNG (raw). To very many people, the difference

is not significant enough. Choose as you please.

So, you have the DNG, and whatever JPEG number of pixels you select.

If you have software that manipulates DNG, then you do not need JPEG,

but some find JPEG adequate and convenient. Again, please yourself.

Edited by pico

You all might reorient yourselves.

The Leica T manual uses the word 'resolution' in a handy (quotidian)

manner, and makes it clear that when it addresses JPEG, it means number

of pixels in the JPEG image where more is better, but even at its best,

it is not the same as DNG (raw). To very many people, the difference

is not significant enough. Choose as you please.......

Unfortunately, such a reorientation obscures the question asked by the OP. JPEG comprerssion differs from, for example, bicubic resampling, which also changes the number of pixels in the image (by interpolation).

Can anyone explain the difference between the T's two JPG file format modes: "Fine" vis-a-vis 'Super Fine?" I don't find the technical information in the manual all that helpful. Both modes allow the same JPG resolution options......

Advertisement (gone after registration)

Unfortunately, such a reorientation obscures the question asked by the OP. JPEG comprerssion differs from, for example, bicubic resampling, which also changes the number of pixels in the image (by interpolation).

It obscures nothing significant at this time. I was trying to write a response that addresses the question in an understandable, friendly and immediately useful manner. If you were hip to JPEG you would know that there are ten different kinds under consideration and development, and to some of these ten there are different options within each kind.

I won't get into that kind of minutiae.

There are two things. Compression and number of pixels.

Compression reduces the file size rendering the same number of pixels and pixel reduction reduces the number of pixels in the image by using interpolation.

The camera actually does the latter. Probably the amount of compression on the files of both JPG outputs is the same.

JPG being a lossy format reduces the amount of data using the small computer in the camera. It is wise to retain the data by shooting DNG (raw) and doing the developing of the image in the more powerful computer on your desk, as that, depending on your level of skill, will get you a better result.

Edited by jaapv

Here are some numbers. On an X2, the same image was shot twice at 16 MP JPG resolution, one in Super Fine mode, the other Fine: Here are the file sizes:

Super Fine: 5,643 KB

Fine: 3,388 KB

Fine mode resulted in about a 40% reduction in file size compared to the Super Fine..

Personally, I use DNG + JPEG Super Fine 16 MP B&W. For color, I would rather work with the raw files.

Edited by Trivette

I don't know what your import settings are, but if you have an X2, just have a look on page 158 of the manual. The different JPG settings reduce the pixel count of the output.

DNG: 2944x3272

JPG:

4928x3264

4288x2856

3264x2160

2144x1424

1632x1080

Edited by jaapv

And on page 116:

FILE FORMAT / COMPRESSION RATE

Two different compression rates are available:
JPG fine
and
JPG Super fine
. Both can be combined with simultaneous
DNG
(RAW image data format) recording.

In the menu, select
Compression
(3.7), and in the submenu the desired setting.

Because its adequate in many cases, and you can fit more images on an SD-Card.

Just how many images do you want save on an SD card? Storage space is no longer an issue, but reliability remains a concern when one can lose the whole card at once.

• 2 years later...

I was trying to get the T to be faster (I thought that the problem was that "review" was on all the time even when set to off. However, it's not the review function at all when taking an image, it's the DNG + Superfine JPG that keep the camera from being ready to take another shot immediately. If you take DNG away (jpg superfine only), the camera is ready for a new shot almost immediately. Or, jpg fine + DNG is also quicker.

I haven't really shot jpg fine yet, so I'm not sure how that will look... Impressions, anyone?