M240 to M-P upgrade

jay968

I seem to remember some talk of this late last year but haven't seen anything since and I cannot seem to find anything on it by doing a search. Does Leica do this upgrade and does anyone know how much it costs in US dollars?

Leica will offer the upgrade program in a few months. It consists of basically a new top cover without the red dot and with a black frame for the hot shoe, new black dials on the rear of the camera and a new glass cover for the LCD in Sapphire. That's it. If you want to live without your camera for ~ 2 months and pay for the minor cosmetic changes is up to you.

The only reason I know is because my camera was in service recently, and the top cover was being replaced since Leica CS dinged up my top cover during a previous service, so I got a new replacement top cover for free. I asked if I could get a top cover from the M-P instead of the red-dot one, and was told by CS that they didn't offer this upgrade yet, but in a few months they would.

So the "upgrade" won't offer the addition of a frame line selector?

Gonna pass, then.

The frameline selector modification has to be open to some doubt, as among other things, the camera body itself would need modification. The price would be pretty steep, I'd hazard.

The M9 to M9-P upgrade is/was expensive enough.........

There's no new processors.

Processor memory and buffer upgrade, or are they separate devices?

From Leica webpage:

"The Leica M-P features a two gigabyte memory buffer. This makes it twice as fast at capturing shots in sequence than the Leica M."

And:

"Faster results

The high image data processing speed achieved by the combination of the Leica MAX 24 MP sensor with the Leica Maestro image processor is astonishing. Thanks to short buffering times and a particularly large, two gigabyte memory, exposures can be captured in rapid sequences without missing a shot. The various independent segments of the processor make it possible to process one image while the previous image is being written to the memory card."

What ever Leica did, it would probably require, I'm guessing, a new/different circuit board where all the improvements are intergrated. And If this is cheap, why didn't they do this in the standard M?

Edited by GlennB

I think you need to consider the downtime, benefit to you in money at trade and service value,

I would think it is not worth it. But everyone has his own opinion.

I do wish they would offer the "better" model right upfront when the model is new. Maybe they are offering the upgrade only after seeing how many of the necessary parts are going to be leftover at the end of the M`s run.

• Like 2

I have one of each. In reality there's little to no functional differences. Unless you really try you don't notice the extra buffer. It still takes a bit to clear. Neither of my rear screens have a scratch on them, compared to my M9 which marked easily.

And because the camera needs to be powered up to use the frame line lever I find I never use it, when I did often on the M9.

Gordon

Processor memory and buffer upgrade, or are they separate devices?

From Leica webpage:

"The Leica M-P features a two gigabyte memory buffer. This makes it twice as fast at capturing shots in sequence than the Leica M."

And:

"Faster results

The high image data processing speed achieved by the combination of the Leica MAX 24 MP sensor with the Leica Maestro image processor is astonishing. Thanks to short buffering times and a particularly large, two gigabyte memory, exposures can be captured in rapid sequences without missing a shot. The various independent segments of the processor make it possible to process one image while the previous image is being written to the memory card."

What ever Leica did, it would probably require, I'm guessing, a new/different circuit board where all the improvements are intergrated. And If this is cheap, why didn't they do this in the standard M?

They simply switched the memory module from a 1GB to a 2GB one. Nothing else needs to be changed, except the software so that the camera utilizes the extra memory. The processing pipeline is most likely exactly the same except just a bigger buffer that allows longer continous shooting sessions.

With a 95MB/s SDXC card I have never experienced filling up my M240's buffer. It's not really a camera that I would spray and pray with...

• Like 1

• 2 weeks later...

So what is the real world difference between the M 240 and M-P? Will you really get double the shots before the red lights are flashing and it makes you wait to shoot again? Has anyone noticed a difference?

Edited by JeTexas

• 1 year later...

1 GB should hold about 20 shots. That should do for I Leica.

Are there other differences that should be considered when choosing between a m240 and mp other then looks?

Saphire glass is nice, however I use screen protectors.

Now I have 2 offers to get one, price difference about 300USD between a MP black(looks used) and a m240 silver(looks new as the silver is easier to maintain in good condition).

Would there be any difference in reselling value over time?

can anybody say something on their experience from m240 to mp?

Yes, I can. I do a lot of street photography and my M240 was locking up frequently when shooting a quick succession of photos.

Since moving to the M-P, this has not happened once.

I also much prefer the looks of the M-P but that's a personal thing.

Ernst

• Like 1

As an original M240 owner I must say that I think the upgrade would be a complete waste of time and money, especially this late in the product cycle.

While I tend to agree, if one inverts your final point, we could be left to wonder just exactly where we are in the product cycle.  Perhaps introducing such a program is an indicator we're not as close to the end as we might think.

As an original M240 owner I must say that I think the upgrade would be a complete waste of time and money, especially this late in the product cycle.

That is as may be, but in my case it transformed a beat-up black camera into an as-new bright chrome one. I consider it as money well spent.