coffee stain in 2015

fraswa

Advertisement (gone after registration)

Hello everyone,

I'm relatively new with the digital Leica world as I always shot with M2 and Canon DSLR.

A month ago I decided to buy an used M8 because film is becoming more and more pricey where I live (Italy). I bought this fine M8 with 6k shutter count from a Leica boutique for some 1000euros. Last week the lcd started showing the famous coffee stain, so I called the store and they confirmed that the camera has 6 month warranty WITH THEM and they will likely send the camera to Solms and pay for the repair.

Then i read millions of threads here and apparently that store is not aware of the "lcd-coffeestain-nomoreparts" storm going on the past years and I emailed Leica customer service for advice.

No reply for the moment, just a "send us a picture describing your problem" standard email.

What can I expect and what are my best options?

I have 6 months warranty from my local store - most probably they will not be able to honor the warranty and they will give all my money back,

OR

Wait for Leica to make some kind of offer? They are gonna try to make me upgrade to M-E? at what price in 2015?

I'm really puzzled now, as I saved a lot and sold some canon equipment, and I had the lcd perfectly functional for only 2 weeks :'(

I know it's only aestethic, but I wanted that camera for years and it's a kind of depressing...

thanks for any advice,

Francesco

Welcome, dear visitor! As registered member you'd see an image here…

Simply register for free here – We are always happy to welcome new members!

AFAIR Leica used to offer upgrades to M9 or M9-P bodies under the following conditions:

Within 2 years (warranty period): free of charge

Within 3 years: 1500 EUR (M9) or 1920 EUR (M9-P)

Within 4 years: 2000 EUR (M9) or 2420 EUR (M9-P)

Within 5 years: 2500 EUR (M9) or 2920 EUR (M9-P)

Within 6 years: 3000 EUR (M9) or 3420 EUR (M9-P)

For upgrading to M-E, see: M8 (coffee stained) exchanged for ME - Leica User Forum

I would not pay 3000+ EUR for a refurbished M9 or M-E personally but if you envision to upgrade to full frame, i would ask Leica what they can do.

Hello,

I have bought a M8.2 with a coffee stain three months ago (I was "lucky" about it, because it was the reason why this camera with only 2.800 Pictures and in a mint condition was not expensive!).

I made a Service at Leica and they offered me an Upgrade to M240 for 3.605,04 € (without taxes).

I declined this offer, cause the coffee stain is only and really a cosmetic Problem. I use the awefull screen of the M8 only for the menu-settings.

The M8 - and specially the M8.2 - is a very fine camera.

Best regards,

Jens

• Like 2

Advertisement (gone after registration)

made a Service at Leica and they offered me an Upgrade to M240 for 3.605,04 € (without taxes).

I declined this offer, cause the coffee stain is only and really a cosmetic Problem.

Yes, it is also a very unattractive offer now that the M240 is available for around €2650 (excluding VAT) at authorised dealers in the UK. :eek:

Even including VAT, the M240 is around €3200 at current exchange rates.

The going rate with authorised dealers (Ffordes, Harrisons, etc.) is either £4150 or £4250 including VAT – a quick Google will bring up the links.

I think you may be multiplying that by the Euro to Sterling conversion rate rather than the other way round.

• Like 2

Buying an M8 in 2015 is sort of risky. I got a 2 year square trade warranty and if my M8 breaks and Leica cannot fix it, I get all my money back and I will just buy another M8.

Keep in mind, it produces amazing photos but it is old technology and you cannot expect a perfect M8.

My 2 cents.

Your sample does not tally with classic coffee stain in my opinion. I had two bodies affected; both serviced by Leica before the spares shortage. Are you sure it is not dirt on the sensor? You show a much magnified image on your LCD. My stains were distinctly rectangular and were visible before any magnification.

I agree with David; this isn't typical of the coffee stain, which occurred from fine dust entering the LCD at the edges. I note that your LCD is wearing a Giottos Schott glass protector so you might consider whether it's to do with the protector's adhesive.

Pete.

Simple to check if we do have a real coffe stain: The size of a coffee stain doesn't change with the chosen magnification.

For me, who owned a coffee stained M8.2, the screenshot provided looks identical to what I've seen on my display.

Cheers,

Carsten

Edited by photoallee
Typo
  • Like 1

[...] For me, who owned a coffee stained M8.2, the screenshot provided looks identical to what I've seen on my display.

Ditto more or less for me. My stain did change though, it became gradually smaller and more contrasty before disappearing as if it never existed.

• Like 2

• 4 years later...