Bag for M240

Enbee

Advertisement (gone after registration)

On my black ballistic nylon F5XB I left the label on because it's black with very dark green-gray lettering and quite hard to see. I have a green canvas one I unstitched and removed the label from, but I sewed a LHSA logo patch on it. On that one (bought used) the velcro didn't stick anymore so I took it off and put on a couple of snaps. I had some dividers I don't use from a Lowepro photo backpack so I put one at each end to solve the lack of end padding. I really liked those bags with film M's, but with the digital one's being fatter, plus a half case, getting 2 bodies in there is a very tight squeeze.

And as for Billinghams, they all have some leather fittings so not amenable to anyone averse to leather.

The Domke F6's size is perfect for an M outfit. It's not very secure as a travel bag though, very easy for a pickpocket to remove stuff unbeknownst. And the padding is ok for minor bumps and jostles, and there is no padding on top. So if you drop the bag on a hard surface from any appreciable height there's a good chance the contents will suffer some damage.

Go Billingham. I can attest to its padding and strength. One time as I was entering the subway at Shin-Osaka, the doors closed on my bag. Yes, my camera was inside it, but the padding was enough to protect my M from any damage.

Any of the Billingham bags will work for you. My own is the Billingham Hadley. Big enough for a camera with lens, and another lens or two if needed. They sell several sizes... and are cheaper than Domkes. Sorry, I know that Domkes are nice, but they are just overpriced for the same material a Billingham uses. IMO.

I cant recommend any other bag simply because I haven't used anything else. If I were to buy a second bag, it would be another Billingham.

Advertisement (gone after registration)

No leather - I guess that leaves the Billingham Hadley pro out of the picture. :( That is what I'd recommend, though.

Another bag you might consider is the Domke F6.

The only leather on the Billingham are the straps. The whole bag is not leather, just the straps. Oh, and the name tag. XD

My favourite bag for my M240 is Incase Designs Corp Ari Marcopoulos Bag.

Fits also my Mac Air 11inch.

Welcome, dear visitor! As registered member you'd see an image here…

Simply register for free here – We are always happy to welcome new members!

I think people aren't mindful of their stuff. In Japan, I leave my pack on the chair all the time because thievery just doesn't happen. I think I heard of one case in the year I've lived here. I've SEEN people leave stuff on the train, and others will take it to the conductor for lost and found.

But anywhere else in the world? I keep my bag on my person at all times. I won't even leave it with a friend to watch. If I have something valuable in my bag, it's with me.

I've been trying to find the ideal bag but I think that's impossible, so next best lots of bags. I'm going travelling so feel something that will hold all that I need - about what you've got!! I've gone for the Lowe pro photo hatchback 22l. It is secure in a crowd. Had a Leica M9 stolen from a bag in Paris! Will carry it all plus some weather gear of other vital equipment. Also I have a couple of crumpler light delight hipster bags for carrying on a day to day basis. Hope these suggestions suit

I've been trying to find the ideal bag but I think that's impossible, so next best lots of bags. I'm going travelling so feel something that will hold all that I need - about what you've got!! I've gone for the Lowe pro photo hatchback 22l. It is secure in a crowd. Had a Leica M9 stolen from a bag in Paris! Will carry it all plus some weather gear of other vital equipment. Also I have a couple of crumpler light delight hipster bags for carrying on a day to day basis. Hope these suggestions suit

I agree

Anyway buying a new bag is satisfying and much cheaper then a lens ;)

I have a

1. Manfrotto Amica 10 when I want the smallest. It has rigid sides, room for 1 extra lens, battery, SD card, cloth and phone

2. Billingham Hadley Small when I need to carry a book, ipad with. Can have easily 2-3 extra lenses if required.

3. Kata nimble 3-dl when more is required

They all either have no zips or covered/protected ones. They also are all black and don't look like photo bags to the uninitiated.

• Like 2

Any of the Billingham bags will work for you. My own is the Billingham Hadley. Big enough for a camera with lens, and another lens or two if needed. They sell several sizes... and are cheaper than Domkes. Sorry, I know that Domkes are nice, but they are just overpriced for the same material a Billingham uses. IMO.

:confused: Where are Domke's more expensive than Billingham's? Here in the US size-for-size Domke are half to a third of Billingham's prices.

The only leather on the Billingham are the straps. The whole bag is not leather, just the straps. Oh, and the name tag. XD

In fact the straps are canvas cloth. Have you actually seen one? There is a piece of leather reinfocement where the straps are sewn in. But all beside the point. You can't remove all the leather from a Billingham without ruining it. Someone who refuses to wear/carry leather for personal reasons won't want a Billingham, full stop.

I can't understanding how anyone can feel safe from pilferers with a back pack. Especially in that den of thieves Paris. Anyone use a backpack in a city or are they only for wildernesses?

The only backpack I would use in a European city is my Pacsafe which has an embedded meshwork of braided steel and can't be slashed, and then I would put a padlock through the zipper pulls. In the USA it wouldn't matter, if someone wants what you've got they'll pull a gun on you.

They all either have no zips or covered/protected ones. They also are all black and don't look like photo bags to the uninitiated.

I see this repeated an infinitum. Do people really think there are thieves specialize in photo equipment? That they're not attracted by the possibility that bag contains a laptop or ipad, or even an expensive pair of sunglasses? A decently-dressed man carrying any kind of messenger-style bag is going to be a target for theft. Wear a Carhart work jacket and a yellow hard hat and carry your Leicas in a lunch bucket, ok, maybe that's being stealth. Just don't carry them in a tool satchel because tools are worth good money on the stolen goods market too.

I see this repeated an infinitum. Do people really think there are thieves specialize in photo equipment? That they're not attracted by the possibility that bag contains a laptop or ipad, or even an expensive pair of sunglasses? A decently-dressed man carrying any kind of messenger-style bag is going to be a target for theft. Wear a Carhart work jacket and a yellow hard hat and carry your Leicas in a lunch bucket, ok, maybe that's being stealth. Just don't carry them in a tool satchel because tools are worth good money on the stolen goods market too.

Yes but a expensive leather bag or a camera shapped bag or large bag that says Nikon, etc. is kind of an advert to "above average" criminal returns

Also not sure why Europe needs such a reinforced bag. I feel safer in London then I do in NY

Edited by colonel

Yes but a expensive leather bag or a camera shapped bag or large bag that says Nikon, etc. is kind of an advert to "above average" criminal returns

Also not sure why Europe needs such a reinforced bag. I feel safer in London then I do in NY

I addressed all that in my post. I specifically said "messenger style bag". Obviously a camera bag with a camera name emblazoned on it indicates it's contents to even the dumbest thief. Although an expensive leather gym bag probably would attract a thief more by it's own value than the smelly clothing and shoes it ostensibly contains ;)

And I said in the USA it's more likely to be a victim of armed robbery than pickpocketing. But in Europe (perhaps not London, Idk, haven't been there in a decade) it's more likely for a thief to slash a backpack with a sharp blade, in a crowded area like a train station or subway.

A decently-dressed man carrying any kind of messenger-style bag is going to be a target for theft. Wear a Carhart work jacket and a yellow hard hat and carry your Leicas in a lunch bucket, ok, maybe that's being stealth. Just don't carry them in a tool satchel because tools are worth good money on the stolen goods market too.

I knew of a gem dealer who would sometimes go visiting clients dressed as a construction worker, with work boots, donkey jacket, high vis vest emblazoned with the name of a large construction company and a hard hat. He'd commonly be carrying £5 million worth of diamonds in his tool box............ along with a set of tools. Admittedly, he was considered a bit eccentric but he never did get robbed.

• Like 1

:confused: Where are Domke's more expensive than Billingham's? Here in the US size-for-size Domke are half to a third of Billingham's prices.

Ah, I stand half-way corrected on this (which probably means I squat corrected?!) XD

So the Domkes can be cheaper than Billinghams depending on what type you get.. just went to the nearby store here in Osaka where they carry them, and the ones that are even more expensive than Billinghams are the (air quotes) "higher end ones" (/air quotes)

Exampels follow:

Domke:

Trekker - 34,550 yen

Metro Messenger -81,000 yen

Image Maker - 61,550 yen

Chronicle - 66,000 yen.

Going to Billinghams:

Hadley Large: 32,000 yen

5 series 445k : 60,000 yen

The Hadleys ranged from 28,000 - 33,000 yen, while the larger series bags were between 45,000 to 70,000 yen.

The lower end Domkes ranged between 5,000 to 40,000 yen (and in the 25,000 to 40,000 yen range, I would go to the Billinghams). The material the Domkes use are just... meh to similar material that Billinghams use for a higher price. MUCH higher in some cases (I'm talking a little over 100,000 yen)).

However, for below the 20,000 yen mark, I would defer to either the Domkes or other bags in a similar range.

So again, I squat corrected. XD

In fact the straps are canvas cloth. Have you actually seen one? There is a piece of leather reinfocement where the straps are sewn in.

Please read my post again.

In case you missed it, I own a Billingham.

As for the straps, I wasn't that specific I suppose, therefore the confusion you had. The straps I am typing about are the the front leather straps that the top flap affixes to when closing the bag. I'm aware that the shoulder strap is canvas, and is affixed with leather. Probably nylon threads since poly is expensive. Hopefully poly.

But yes, if the OP doesn't want a bag with even a piece of leather on it, the only other bag I could probably recommend would be... well, anything else out there, including Domkes.

I wish there was a perfect camera bag out there. Sigh.

I love bags. XD

• Like 1

I wonder why nobody mentioned the Thinktank Retrospective bags yet. I own the #7 for my M-gear and there's plenty of space and smart details like the "silencers" aso. For my Nikon D4 I use the #20, same type as the #7 but much bigger. When I started with Leica M last year I was convinced by all the Billingham supporters and ordered a Hadley Pro. However, I was a bit disappointed and not really attracted by the bag. Especially the grip on top to me seemed to be a candidate to possibly tear through the fabric sooner or later as I have seen on a photo somewhere in the net.

I'm pretty satisfied with my Thinktanks and can recommend it to have a look at at least...

• Like 2