400 Leica photographers agree: we love CCD!

Prosophos

Advertisement (gone after registration)

I will say and admit that the color palet and output of the Leica Q and SL has certainly addressed some of the color issues many have had with the M240 (although through firmwarw updates the M240 color output has improved). Yet with this said, I still put the M9 raw color output at the top of my list at lower Iso's. I take the improvement of the Q and SL ourput to more closely emulate M9 colow palet as a realization that maybe their initial foray into CMOS wasn't exactly what some had hoped it would be.

I sometimes ask myself if prior to the M240, if there were two versions of the M9...one with the corlor output of the CMOS M240 and one with color output of the M9, but both same M9 body with M9 various M9 ISo pwrformance and body performance, which one would most pick.

Conversely if there was only the functionality of the M240, one with the color output of the CMOS M240 and one with the color output of the M9 but both with the same higher ISO performance of the M240 and its body performance, which would most pic? Just a question.

Dave (D&A)

My interest in CCD, has to do with the way CMOS doesn't handle rolling shutter. Where I live it's common to have very large TV's for weddings, concerts, etc. The problem is my M240 has trouble in dealing with them. I didn't have that problem with M9. I upgraded because my M9/M developed the dreaded cover issue, but now I am thinking to get another M9 to shoot in these venues.

Now that I am looking, I am noticing that it's kind of hard to find used M9's (post upgrade). I easily can find used M240's. I wonder if Leica is pulling as many of them out of circulation as they can. If so, I would be more worried about the lack of used units. I would be happy if leica simply supported the used M9 market. I don't need an upgrade. 

My interest in CCD, has to do with the way CMOS doesn't handle rolling shutter. Where I live it's common to have very large TV's for weddings, concerts, etc. The problem is my M240 has trouble in dealing with them. I didn't have that problem with M9. I upgraded because my M9/M developed the dreaded cover issue, but now I am thinking to get another M9 to shoot in these venues.

CCD cameras also handle LED lights a lot better than CMOS cameras. A friend of mine who shoots a lot of cars shows bought one of my M9's because cars shows are rife with LED lights apparently. 

• Like 2

• 11 months later...
  • 3 weeks later...

If you want to do things intelligently, and you should, you have to ask those 650 fellows if they appreciate cmos sensors (M10, D5, SL...).

If those fellows are honest, 638/650 will answer yes.

And so you’ll realize that it was a pathetic attempt.

I am one of the 650 fellows.

I am honest.

I prefer....by leaps and bounds....the rendered images from my M8 and M9 cameras even with some of the technical constraints associated with their older technology.

So... 1/650 accounted for.  

Any reason for why the tone of several responses to this topic has been so rude?   No need for that, my fellow fellows.

• Like 4

Thank you.  I remember sitting in a tree once during the summer.  The dog wore a blue collar as the visitors were making their way off of the tall ship.

This is one of the most profound nonsequiturs I've seen in a long time.  Unless there's a reference I'm missing?

• Like 1

• 6 years later...