APO Telyt 280 f/4 - R prices

M9reno

Hi Pete,

thank you for your comment.

Here is a picture of a sea gull I took approx. two weeks ago. (Using a 70-200/4.0 IS from Canon), I am sure that I will never be able to do similar with the APO-Telyt:

A flying seagull will be difficult to catch with the APO 4x280 without having autofocus.

I use the Apo 4x280 on my R8-DMR. Due to the design of inner focus it takes only mm's to get things sharp, but then it is sharp.

Objects at infinity are not at the very end of the focusing ring.

regards Peter

Edited by Peter Bailer

I just don't know what to do with it. I'm barely able to get a sharp (but VERY!! sharp) image using a tripod and patience. But I currently like taking pictures of sea gulls, horses, people and other stuff that moves around.

I find the sensor stabilization and viewfinder magnification features of mirrorless cameras like the Sony a7II are very handy for making sharp photos with this lens.

anhumm40.jpg

• Like 3

Ah, oh!

My seagull is not that far out of focus. But yes, there are better ones. The image further is only a small part of the original image (because I was not allowed to upload the full thing here).

My neighbour, a  photographer, laughed at me using the 5D. He told me that this Sony thing would be exactly what I want. But now I have the Canon hardware including some lenses and R adapters. I like the

5D but have to admit that the viewfinder features of those mirrorless cameras (my neighbour uses two, but not Sony) could come handy when using manual lenses...

@wildlightphoto:

This brings back the thougts that it could someday be a bad idea having given away the lens....

Advertisement (gone after registration)

Thanks to Malcolm Taylor's conversion from ROM contacts to SL2 cams, I'm now able to shoot mine on film:  I'm blown away.  First picture: Macro-Elmarit-R 60.  Second picture:  APO-Telyt 280.  Third picture:  1:1 crop.  Portra 400 on SL2.  Hand-held!

Welcome, dear visitor! As registered member you'd see an image here…

Simply register for free here – We are always happy to welcome new members!

Edited by M9reno
  • Like 2

• 1 year later...

There is one currently on eBay (and I hesitate to say I have no connection with it or its seller!).  It's much less than the £4K that I paid for mine.  Either a rare deal or demand for this lens is not as strong as I believed.

http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/Leica-APO-Telyt-R-280mm-f4-1-4-280-R-SL-R6-R6-2-R7-R8-R9-M240-DMR-MP-/222478553312?hash=item33ccc150e0:g:GzIAAOSw9GhYlvRQ

Looks like it's already gone.  Your link sends me to a general search page showing multifarious results but none of them are the 280/4 APO-Telyt-R.

Pete.

Still there:

http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/Leica-APO-Telyt-R-280mm-f4-1-4-280-R-SL-R6-R6-2-R7-R8-R9-M240-DMR-MP-/222478553312?hash=item33ccc150e0:g:GzIAAOSw9GhYlvRQ&clk_rvr_id=1203234858500&rmvSB=true

Bizarre.  When I click on the link I get the same 5 pages of results I got before from www.viglink.com (it doesn't take me to ebay at all) and there's no 280/4 APO-Telyt-R.  But if I copy the link and paste it into the address bar of a fresh browser page then it takes me to the ebay advertisement that you've mentioned so there appears to be some browser hijacking going on.  :wacko:

I agree that the price looks on the low side although it's only about £600 less than I paid for mine about 5 years ago.  He notes that there's a small scratch and cleaning marks on the front element, which might be the reason for the low price or the seller just might not know where to pitch it owing to the lens's rarity perhaps.

Pete.

A well known dealer near British Museum (not Aperture) has one in stock, only 3.3k, comes with 1.4 APO extender.

Indeed - and that one without ROM, which would have saved me the same conversion I asked MT to undertake.  I guess with rare items like this prices can and do fluctuate quite dramatically - a little luck is needed.

Indeed - and that one without ROM, which would have saved me the same conversion I asked MT to undertake.  I guess with rare items like this prices can and do fluctuate quite dramatically - a little luck is needed.

Why did you need the ROM converted, and how long did it take Malcolm to do it?

Pete.

Why did you need the ROM converted, and how long did it take Malcolm to do it?

Pete.

Pete: I wanted to use the lens on an SL2, so the ROM had to go, and the lens is now a 3-cam, which is compatible across the series and better in that sense, anyway.  I kept the original ROM mount in case a future buyer wishes to reverse the operation, which is possible.  Malcolm took a couple of months maybe.  Excellent service as always.

• Like 1

Ah, it all makes sense. I've had excellent service from Malcolm in the past and I have lenses I'd like to send to him but I've recently had first hand experience of very lengthy time scales despite gentle urging.  I don't want others to turn this thread to turn into a rant against him so I'll say no more.  I'm glad to hear that you had excellent service.

Pete.

• 2 months later...