APO Telyt 280 f/4 - R prices

M9reno

Advertisement (gone after registration)

wildlightphoto,

First off: Yes people do want know what was paid for the lens... that is the title of the discussion we are on. You are on the wrong thread if you think this is the pump the 280/4.0?

Secondly, the 280/2.8 is another killer lens. There is not a lot of difference between the two. The 280/4.0 is certainly the best. But, the 280/2.8 is also so close as to be another great Leica lens that is also a stop faster than the 280/4.0. Both are about the same once printed large.

I know you shot the 280/2.8 and you have an opinion on how they are not that close. But, I have owned both and still own both. They are so close. It is really hard to tell them apart. One is a stop faster at an enviable f2.8 and the other is that much sharper at f4.0. What's not to like. Peace.

Rick

Chill??? I don't have my knickers in a knot, what's to chill about?

I paid US$1600 for the lens in 2005. I don't think that's relevant to current prices. And I stand by my comparison of the 280/4 and the early 280/2.8, I could easily tell the difference through the viewfinder and in my slides. The f/2.8 aperture is little value to me because I often stop the lens down for DOF.

Edited by wildlightphoto
  • Like 1

Chill??? I don't have my knickers in a knot, what's to chill about?

I paid US$1600 for the lens in 2005. I don't think that's relevant to current prices. And I stand by my comparison of the 280/4 and the early 280/2.8, I could easily tell the difference through the viewfinder and in my slides. The f/2.8 aperture is little value to me because I often stop the lens down for DOF.

Ok, I'll chill. I believe that your slides show that there exists a differentiable difference between the two lenses and the 280/4.0 that you own is a killer lens... much better than the the 280/2.8. :o

Again, peace,

Rick

I saw John's test images and all I can say is WOW and this was the 280 with an extender!!. ...

John (chiaroscuro_NZ)

Is there any chance that you might share a test image with us here please? I don't have Doug down as an over-effusive person so when he makes remarks like that I'm intrigued and I'd like to be 'wowwed' too by the 280/4 on an S2.:)

Pete.

• Like 4

I was quite shocked which is why I have shot the test a few times, also higher contrast with the 280mm combo. Of course this crop is the equivalent of a 24" x 16" print at just over 300dpi so the 400mm is no slouch, just when compared to one of the best ever built ;-)

Looking at the MTF curves the 560/4 (big head with 1.4x focussing unit) looks to be the best of the longer modulars. I have a copy of the big head on its way to me so can compare it to 280/4 plus 2x APO (M(240) only), 560/5.6 (small head with 2x focussing unit) and the Mamiya 645 300mm f2.8 APO with 2x (S2 only)....

john

• Like 2

Advertisement (gone after registration)

Many thanks John.

WOW! A difference like night and day!

Incredibly sharp the APO 280/4 with extender!

I also found the color differences remarkable.

Now I don't feel the urge anymore to get the 400/4 Modular lens.

I am looking forward to your results with the 560 Modulars.

Thanks again.

I think that is similar to what Doug said ;-)

It is difficult to find subjects that will be in focus across the full image, the 400/4 looks like it falls of in the corners on FF. Conversely these lenses were designed for film but these images are taken with a 45mm x 30mm digital sensor...

john

Now I don't feel the urge anymore to get the 400/4 Modular lens.

My response too, and not one I was expecting. I am also looking forward to John's comparison of the 560mm f/5.6 Modular APO and the 280mm f/4 APO + 2x APO extender.

I have noticed a small loss of image quality using the 2x APO extender with the 280/4 so I will be surprised if the 560/5.6 Modular doesn't show more detail (and it has a 1-stop advantage) but I was not expecting the results of the 400mm comparison so I might be surprised again.

• Like 1

Some months back I spoke with someone who has a 280mm f/4 but seldom uses it. He said he'd let it go for around US$5600. I mulled it over for a while and decided to go for it. But by the time I'd made up my mind, he'd also made up his--not to sell. Having seen some images taken with this lens, I'd say he made a good choice to hang on to it.

I'm happy with what I get out of my 280mm f/2.8, which, contrary to what I've read elsewhere, *is* sharp corner to corner wide open on my M240. But for times when I don't want to lug that much weight, I had my 180mm f/2.8 APO v.1 converted so I can use it with my APO 1.4X TC. Although IQ with this combination is very good, it appears to be a notch below the IQ of the 280mm. The 180mm + 1.4X combination is also extremely unforgiving if less than perfect focus is achieved.

Hi John, which adapter do you use on the S2. I would love to use my 280/4 on the S2. Thanks, AB

John and I use the Lei-Ko adapter which costs about euro 500-550 made by Michael Leibfritz in Germany Leibfritz Konstruktion

You will find that the 280/4 focus hits the buffers at about 30m but you can send the lens to Leica for adjustment of the infinity focus. If you use the 1.4x extender you will get infinity focus without adjustment. The 2x APO extender will not work as the rear element/shroud protrudes into the throat of the s mount.

John and I use the Lei-Ko adapter which costs about euro 500-550 made by Michael Leibfritz in Germany Leibfritz Konstruktion

You will find that the 280/4 focus hits the buffers at about 30m but you can send the lens to Leica for adjustment of the infinity focus. If you use the 1.4x extender you will get infinity focus without adjustment. The 2x APO extender will not work as the rear element/shroud protrudes into the throat of the s mount.

If you search the S forum you will find my post about this last year.

Hello,

I have the R8-DMR with Apo 4x280 plus Apo 1.4 and Apo 2 extender.

Here are some examples.

Even putting Apo1.4 and Apo 2 behind each other gives very good results.

regards Peter from Switzeland

http://www.l-camera-forum.com/leica-forum/leica-r-leica-flex/346106-apo-extender-r-questions-post2839067.html#post2839067

Here is a quick comparison between the 280/4 and the 280/2.8.

Both shot at f5.6 and 1/24sec. Heavy Manfroto tripod, same color balance, no sliders moved. I shot a dozen shots from each lens and picked the sharpest. I used 12sec delay. ISO 200. First the full frame and then a 200% crop of the center:

Welcome, dear visitor! As registered member you'd see an image here…

Simply register for free here – We are always happy to welcome new members!

Edited by RickLeica

Shouldn't we compare equivalent f-stops?

So 400/4 set to f/5.6 should be compared to 280/4 + 1.4x APO set to f/4

and 400/4 set to f/8 should be compared to 280/4 + 1.4x APO set to f/5.6, no?

Comparing the lower left to the upper right quadrant in the images looks pretty similar.

I still would give my nod to the 280/4 + 1.4x AP though.

Edited by k-hawinkler

The 400/4 wide open is pretty poor, when at f5.6 the 280/4 @f4 with convertor is much sharper - pretty similar to when it is at f5.6.

Basically, if you have a 280/4 and 1.4x then that looks better quality than the even rarer 400/4 until it is stopped down to f8 when they look similar. Given the difference in size and weight as well....

john