M8 hideous unusable high ISO performance thread

bla

Advertisement (gone after registration)

I have been experimenting with M8 & 9 with good results.  One thing that helps me is finding a preset I can reuse for iso 160 noise reduction.    Enlarge to 100%  and look at 125 grey .    50 NR and 50 detail seems to work.  To me,  if I start with a clean image,  there is less noise after the push.

The Nikon D750 which is a decent low light camera,  responds well to iso 1600 and a two stop push to 6000.  Same NR before push.

I think things might be improved if I did NR separately on RGB layers in PS and then went back to ACR as a smart object for the push.  

Experiment as you have time.

• Like 1

The M8 is not all that bad at 1250. Some of you will remember when the M8 came out, there was a guy who shot quite a bit at 1250 because he liked the noise, calling it more film-like. But he was mostly interested, and the results were what they were because he converted them all to bw. I wish I could remember his name, but just can't get the grey cells to work that well.

That said I mostly limited my M8 & M8.2 to 640.

• 2 weeks later...

I have been experimenting with M8 & 9 with good results.  One thing that helps me is finding a preset I can reuse for iso 160 noise reduction.    Enlarge to 100%  and look at 125 grey .    50 NR and 50 detail seems to work.  To me,  if I start with a clean image,  there is less noise after the push.

The Nikon D750 which is a decent low light camera,  responds well to iso 1600 and a two stop push to 6000.  Same NR before push.

I think things might be improved if I did NR separately on RGB layers in PS and then went back to ACR as a smart object for the push.  

Experiment as you have time.

You could also try using the luminosity channel in LAB. RGB channels conflate luminosity with colour information.

• Like 1