Open thread: Show us your portraits!

Advertisement (gone after registration)

In Vicolo Ranocchi, Bologna (Bulåggna) 2008.  M3, Summitar, XP2 @ 400

Welcome, dear visitor! As registered member you'd see an image here…

Simply register for free here – We are always happy to welcome new members!

• Like 9

Polina

Miami Beach 03/20

M10 + 24mm Summilux & 75mm Apo Summicron 

• Like 9

1 hour ago, Torontoamateur said:

When I check Flickr I see you do not use Leica cameras.  This is a Gip ! 

Not so. I use a variety of cameras including Leica M. I also regularly use Leica legacy lenses on other cameras. And specifically relating to THIS image if you can be bothered to check your facts and  to read the metadata on this image you will read the words inserted automatically by Flickr from the metadata  "Leica Camera AG M8". Never the less I concur that a few images I posted here were from other cameras and lenses early on, as I did not realize until a few days ago when someone queried it (much more politely than you had the bad grace to do) that unlike some other forums  the rule is to post only from Leica equipment even in image threads (eg Rangefinder Forum welcomes non-rangefinder images in image threads where the focus is on images not the equipment used to capture them). To my defence I only ever did this in image threads, obviously not in equipment threads and stopped once I was advised. 

BTW it is not spelled "gip", it is spelled "gype" as in "gypped" (cheat or swindle (someone). May I respectfully suggest that if  you are going to insult and slander someone you should at least have the good grace and common sense to get the spelling correct as well as the facts. To do otherwise suggests a feverish, immature and ill educated mind. So get a grip,  (which as opposed to gip I did spell correctly) check your facts and cease  your unnecessarily insulting language . 

Edited by peterm1_Leica

To Torontoamateur and peterm1_Leica may I suggest you both back off, "bump elbows" and accept that tensions in the world are not currently normal. We all make mistakes (watch me sometime!) and are the better for moving on. No escalating or tub thumping please, and just enjoy the fact that photography can be a diversion in these trying times. Thank you gentlemen.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 2

Advertisement (gone after registration)

3 hours ago, erl said:

To Torontoamateur and peterm1_Leica may I suggest you both back off, "bump elbows" and accept that tensions in the world are not currently normal. We all make mistakes (watch me sometime!) and are the better for moving on. No escalating or tub thumping please, and just enjoy the fact that photography can be a diversion in these trying times. Thank you gentlemen.

Happy to comply erl as my natural inclination is always to be polite and friendly. But I deplore gratuitous rudeness by others which of course is why I responded with annoyance when confronted by it.

regards Peter

• Thanks 1

15 hours ago, peterm1_Leica said:

Not so. I use a variety of cameras including Leica M. I also regularly use Leica legacy lenses on other cameras. And specifically relating to THIS image if you can be bothered to check your facts and  to read the metadata on this image you will read the words inserted automatically by Flickr from the metadata  "Leica Camera AG M8". Never the less I concur that a few images I posted here were from other cameras and lenses early on, as I did not realize until a few days ago when someone queried it (much more politely than you had the bad grace to do) that unlike some other forums  the rule is to post only from Leica equipment even in image threads (eg Rangefinder Forum welcomes non-rangefinder images in image threads where the focus is on images not the equipment used to capture them). To my defence I only ever did this in image threads, obviously not in equipment threads and stopped once I was advised. 

BTW it is not spelled "gip", it is spelled "gype" as in "gypped" (cheat or swindle (someone). May I respectfully suggest that if  you are going to insult and slander someone you should at least have the good grace and common sense to get the spelling correct as well as the facts. To do otherwise suggests a feverish, immature and ill educated mind. So get a grip,  (which as opposed to gip I did spell correctly) check your facts and cease  your unnecessarily insulting language . 

I did misspell  I did not mean this as a racial slur. The use of the "i" in the word was a misspelling  . I do however think that the portraits should all be made with a Leica camera.  As to the moderators I mean no "racial Slur"  It was a miss spelling  . I thought this was a forum of free speech and opinion. I had actually reviewed this poster's Flickr content and saw that many of the portraits that were posted here were not made with a Leica Camera. That was and continues to be my point. If these had been identified as not being made with a Leica I would have been satisfied. Because I have a strong interest and investment in Leica Camera. When I looked I was disappointed to find there were no made with a Leica.  Perhaps the Moderators will admonish posters to identify the cameras so we viewers know which camera was used.  As to my being penalized for a miss spelling I take exception I should have been asked if that was the word I mean  It certainly was NOT.  Perhaps the Moderators will understand that there was  miss spelling of the word they term as racist. In my Country , Canada , there is no word so lettered. If you call it a racist term it is one I am unfamiliar with. maybe in some other language but not in Canada. The context should always be considered.

Listening

M10-P, Summilux-M 1:1.4/35, v2 pre-ASPH

• Like 10

Myself - In better times   X1

• Like 4

15 hours ago, Torontoamateur said:

I did misspell  I did not mean this as a racial slur. The use of the "i" in the word was a misspelling  . I do however think that the portraits should all be made with a Leica camera.  As to the moderators I mean no "racial Slur"  It was a miss spelling  . I thought this was a forum of free speech and opinion. I had actually reviewed this poster's Flickr content and saw that many of the portraits that were posted here were not made with a Leica Camera. That was and continues to be my point. If these had been identified as not being made with a Leica I would have been satisfied. Because I have a strong interest and investment in Leica Camera. When I looked I was disappointed to find there were no made with a Leica.  Perhaps the Moderators will admonish posters to identify the cameras so we viewers know which camera was used.  As to my being penalized for a miss spelling I take exception I should have been asked if that was the word I mean  It certainly was NOT.  Perhaps the Moderators will understand that there was  miss spelling of the word they term as racist. In my Country , Canada , there is no word so lettered. If you call it a racist term it is one I am unfamiliar with. maybe in some other language but not in Canada. The context should always be considered.

Torontoamateur

What was said was said but I am happy to forget it move on and put it behind us.

Ok by you ?

cheers and best regards Peter

Edited by peterm1_Leica

Edward -

Please note that within less than a half hour after Peter posted the non-Leica photos one of my Mod colleagues hid the post.  We also reminded Peter of the firm forum rule of only posting photos made with Leica cameras, or Leica lenses or both.  The only exception to this is in the "I like film" thread.

Regarding racial slurs:  Regardless of spelling, "Gyp" or "Gip" has been around so long that it's very likely you are unaware of its derivation - It refers to "Gypsies," and how it is commonly used implies that all Roma are thieves and scam artists.  Even though your use of "gip," is no doubt innocent due to your not knowing its derivation, it still is a racial slur, and regardless of your thoughts of this being censorship of free speech, we do not permit racial slurs on the forum.

It seems clear that you had no idea of the slur, but it also seems exceptionally likely you've heard the term used to imply being swindled or cheated.  The first time I heard it in Canada was in the summer of '64 in "Scarberia" and later that same week in Toronto.  It is a common English language slur.

• Thanks 1

Sheena

Amsterdam 10/2018

M240+Apo-Summicron 75mm

• Like 5

10 hours ago, SmokeSolid said:

Sheena

Amsterdam 10/2018

M240+Apo-Summicron 75mm

I like the first image because it has a nice look to it. The fact (IMO) that you back focused that shot seems to add to a a bit f mystery to the mood. I don't care that the girl is not sharp. In fact she becomes more alluring because of it.

• Thanks 1

@ Lake Tahoe - Daughters Wedding    XVario              

• Like 5

Cello & Pot

somewhere in Amsterdam 

Leica Q

• Like 6

Abigail Barcelona 

M240+Apo-Summicron 75mm

• Like 4

• jaapv unpinned this topic