just got my m8

nikonosguy

My experience is limited to one 486 B+W filter only but i have not noticed differences with my Leica UV/IR filters flare wise. Would you have any link to comparisons between those filters by chance? Just curious.

Well, me too have a single B+W (for my Summilux 1st version... 43mm resulted apparently unavaible from Leica) and, comparing it to the Leica 39mm on a Summicron of similar age of Summilux, I admit that it proved to be an excellent filter... have never done a side by side comparision in difficult situations...but having used the Summilux in some hard interior shots (lights in the scene etc...) it indeed the B+W really manages well the flare risks.

Leica in Wetzlar and B+W in Bad Kreuznach are approx 150km appart. they are the only makers of a UV/IR-Filter worldwide. and the market for this filter is very small.

do you really think, that there exist two different ways of producing different UV/IR-Filters?

my theory: those filters are identically made in the same factory and then branded as needed.

Tiffen calls them by another name- "Hot Mirror". This is a professional grade filter, started in production with the first generation digital cameras. I've used them for 20+ years. The Hot Mirror appears to block less Red than the B&W/Leica filters that I have. Testing them on the M8 with a strong IR source, they are just as effective. The M8 has an IR absorbing filter annealed to the sensor, but it is not a sharp-cut filter. The Hot Mirror seems to pick up where the M8 filter leaves off.