Sign in to follow this  
jim0266

Wein SSHSHS Safe-Sync Hot Shoe too tight

Advertisement (gone after registration)

This won't fit onto the hot shoe of my M-E. It fits snugly on my Canon 6D and will go on the hot shoe of my M6, requiring more force than the 6D.

Anyone else have a problem getting this unit on their M9/M-E? Any alternatives?

I use mine on multiple Nikons, M8 & M9 and it is very tight / snug on all. I can not push it on with one hand without risk of damage to the camera.

Since yours fits on other cameras, but not on ME, I suggest the Wein is perhaps at the thick end of tolerance and ME is thin end. Were you to send the ME in, you would probably find the answer is "within spec". If the hot shoe is loose, people tend to lose aux finders.

Considering cost of shipping and aggravation, I would order another Wein and thin the base with a fine metal file as required.

My M9 hot shoe fitted snugly but I could remove and replaced the flash easily. However I just got my M9 back from Leica having it upgraded to M9P. The hot shoe is now extremely snug and requires a bit of force to install and remove my Metz flash. I just assumed that they are now using stronger springs in the hot shoe. I looked with a magnifying glass and I noted that the springs have a significant arch to them now whereas I think that they were much flatter before the upgrade. Perhaps if you use a small brush and apply a little silicon lubricant to the spring surfaces, it may be easier. I haven't done that since I use a little more force and carefully install and remove the flash.

Followup.

The replacement unit arrived from B&H. This one does fit on the M-E. I had asked B&H via email in their return process if they could test the hot shoe on a used M9 or M-E if they had any available. Never got a response to that query so I don't know if I just got lucky.

Join the conversation

You can post now and register later. If you have an account, sign in now to post with your account.
Note: Your post will require moderator approval before it will be visible.

Reply to this topic...

×   Pasted as rich text.   Paste as plain text instead

Only 75 emoji are allowed.

×   Your link has been automatically embedded.   Display as a link instead

×   Your previous content has been restored.   Clear editor

×   You cannot paste images directly. Upload or insert images from URL.

Sign in to follow this  

• Recently Browsing   0 members

No registered users viewing this page.

• Similar Content

• By PLH
      Has anybody had intermittent TTL flash issues with the R8?
       I get random firing of the SF-58, particularly with movement of the camera, and sometimes no flash on shutter release. Inside, low light, and with program mode the viewfinder shows f/5.6 @ 1/250 as it should.  Contacts are clean, wiggling the flash at the foot doesn't make it fire.  Camera, flash or the coupling of the two?
      The phenomena does not seem to occur with a SF-24D, though i have no negatives to review yet.  
      R8 serial # 243xxxx.  I've had no other problems with this camera.

• By Edwin Ho
      I am considering Leica SF24D as a replacement for the Olympus S20 (small auto flash).
      Took some shots of family Christmas gathering with the S20; a little under-exposed (subsequently adjusted in LR by increasing exposure).
      I hope to hear from those who had experience using the SF24D with an M9.
    • By Sasha
      I'm a hobby shooter and have gone through Nikon, Canon, and Sony gear, and then got into Leica M a couple of years ago.  Love my M10P and M3 and am building up a nice collection of M lenses.  I have been shooting with just natural light but would now like to experiment more with portraits and controlled lighting and external flashes.  I've been looking at the getting a couple of Godox AD200 Pros and would like to control them with a flash trigger from my M10P.  I can't find anything official about Godox/Leica compatibility on the internet, although some say that a Godox X1T or X2T Nikon version will work with Leica M and I've also read somewhere that the Olympus version is the one to go for.  Does anyone have any first hand experience or advice on this?   
    • By franzschuier
      Hello,
      new to the forum, new to leica! I own my black m-a for a month now and I absolutely love it. Just finished my 10th roll.
      Looking forward to taking part in the forum, but I am starting with a problem sorry.
      There is one little thing I can´t get to work (Spent at least 15 Exposures on it: I own a Flash Q Q20 from my digital days and i cant get it to work with the M-A.
      The strange thing: The flash fires when the film is not cocked and the shutter doesn't fire. When I cock the film
      and take an exposure the flash just wont fire.

1. Went to the leica shop and tried it with several new leica flashes. It fires when cocked and when not.
      2. Checked some youtube videos - There are people successfully using the Q20 with their M6 or M-P, they even recommend it.
      3 Checked the Q20 settings in falsh mode it should just work.
      4. Tried it with the flash sync 1/50 setting and faster times
      And now the strangest thing - Occasionally, like every 3rd time I try it, it works.
      Am I studip or is the fals just not working with the m-a and I have to get an old leica flash?
      Any recommedation?

• By Johnclare369
      Hi all
      I've not used flash very much apart from as fill-in for portraits, but I have an upcoming project that may require a little more of it. I have a Leica SF40 flash which I know can work as a slave when combined with the right master unit. 
      Any suggestions as to what the right master unit would be?
      Thanks.