M240 in winter weather

Bentham

Advertisement (gone after registration)

Today in Toronto was not so cold for wintertime in Canada (a mere -3 celcius) so I decided to take my M 240 outdoors. After about 30 mins the camera went from being fully functional to:

- PLAY, INFO, MENU and SET buttons do nothing when pushed

- take a picture and no flashing LED to let you know it has been recorded despite the apparent opening and closing of the shutter

This is not the first time I had experienced that behaviour so I put the camera away in my bag and went about my business. After coming home I took the battery out of the body and about 20-30 mins later put it back in. At this point image review etc. continued to function as one would expect. Battery life had decreased by 5%.

Is this normal behaviour? Electronics being what they are my supposition is yes, it's totally normal for the camera. Perhaps I'm just expecting more from the M?

Official operating temperature is 0-40 centigrade. Pretty much universal values. However that are temperatures inside the camera. If the ambient temperature is just minus three the camera should operate normally for a long time. Maybe not as long as a DSLR as it is compact and completely out of metal, but still...

I would advise to try another battery first.

Edited by jaapv

I don't understand how the battery appears to hardly lose any power yet the camera is essentially not functional. FWIW, I have had the camera since September and the battery has only seen ~4 full cycles (it lasts forever!). Over the next few days the temperature here will drop to -15-20c so I'll head outside again and see what happens ...

I don't understand how the battery appears to hardly lose any power yet the camera is essentially not functional. FWIW, I have had the camera since September and the battery has only seen ~4 full cycles (it lasts forever!). Over the next few days the temperature here will drop to -15-20c so I'll head outside again and see what happens ...

Just to cover one thing at a time, fully charge the battery and put it outside in the cold for an hour, then put it in the camera . If it fails the same way, then you can probably presume the battery is at fault.

Is it a Leica battery or aftermarket?

• Like 1

Doesn't sound normal to me.

I've taken my M out in cold environments all the time here in Japan. Just recently, I went to Nagano for a ski trip. Visited onsens with snow monkeys, in the negative centigrade. The only thing I noticed was my hands got cold.

It doesn't sound right to me either. I've just crossed thorong la pass and it was -20c at high camp and about -30c with wind chill at the peak. My nalgenr bottle froze in 2h after leaving camp but my m worked with no problems. There were no errors or extra lag, the movie function worked fine as well.

Just to cover one thing at a time, fully charge the battery and put it outside in the cold for an hour, then put it in the camera . If it fails the same way, then you can probably presume the battery is at fault.

Is it a Leica battery or aftermarket?

That's a good suggestion -- I'll try that. The battery is a Leica battery.

I've used the M240 extensively a while ago at -7ºC I noticed the screen got dimmer and it 'ghosted' a bit. But the camera remained functional de battery dropped quickly from 100 to about 70% but when warmed up again got back up to 80%!

Here are some wintery shots with the M240 that day.

I've kept them small here because this is not the photo forum. They are only a few KB each. :)

Welcome, dear visitor! As registered member you'd see an image here…

Simply register for free here – We are always happy to welcome new members!

• Like 1

Not normal imho.

minus 8 to 2 Celsius from 10:30 to 14:00. Walked for 12 miles with the camera hanging on my belly the whole time.Only a leather Luigi halfcase. Chrome camera.

One battery 40% capacity left in about 200 shots.Began with a fully charged battery which was in the camera for two days already.

http://www.l-camera-forum.com/leica-forum/leica-m-type-240/358890-very-happy-newyear-cold-m240-greating.html

Maybe the camera was moist on the backside when you took it outside and the buttons froze? Or may your condensed breathe froze?